Opponent Watch 2019: North Texas

CUSA released their schedules two days ago. North Texas has 4 games prior to our game there against them

Well, UNT will be preparing for us with a new OC.

https://twitter.com/AdamJMaya/status/1089932310185631744

A decent OOC for UNT.

Completely random observation, but that kind of looks like a cigarette in his right hand.

THATS MY LCUKY CIGARETTE!!! He stole it off me from the bar last night!!

Good hire for USC.
Good 2nd choice.
He was top of list when Major was looking.

UNT game scares me as much as OU and WSU.

2 Likes

Former UH assistant heading to North Texas:

https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/1092490400957415426

Where do the Mean Green turn to replace Harrell? There are several options on the table — hire from within or go after a successful coordinator who recently got fired from his job.

Major Applewhite would be the dream hire for the Mean Green. Applewhite was fired as the head coach of the Houston Cougars and is looking for a new team. North Texas and Applewhite would be a great fit for each other. Applewhite succeeded the current Texas coach Tom Herman who went 22-4 at Houston before leaving. Applewhite went 15-11 over two seasons as the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks’ coach and could come in and immediately help Mason Fine and keep this Mean Green offense rolling.

1 Like

I would LOVE the chance to play against an Applewhite Offense!!!

4 Likes

King hands Applewhite’s entire playbook over to our DC.

1 Like

http://footballscoop.com/news/sources-seth-littrell-makes-offensive-coordinator-hire-north-texas/

Dang CMA would have been fun

1 Like

North Texas Mean Green

Head coach : Seth Littrell (23-17, fourth year)

2018 record and S&P+ ranking : 9-4 (65th)

Projected 2019 record and S&P+ ranking : 8-4 (84th)

Five key points :

1. Littrell’s name was tied to a whole bunch of openings, but he’s returning to Denton for a fourth season.
2. The UNT offense could be the best in C-USA. QB Mason Fine, WR Rico Bussey Jr., and a truckload of RBs give a new OC a lot to work with.
3. The defense has a few more questions after losing ĂĽber-productive duos at both linebacker and cornerback.
4. UNT might still have the best safety corps in the conference, plus fun attackers at DE.
5. The schedule features non-conference tossups vs. SMU and Houston and C-USA road trips to Louisiana Tech and Southern Miss. This season could go in a lot of directions.

The cornerback position is unsettled and there’s a gaping hole at nose tackle, but to zoom in on something specific, linebacker presents the biggest questions.

North Texas lost two starters in E.J. Ejiya, who signed as an undrafted free agent with the Baltimore Ravens, and Brandon Garner. Ejiya led the team with 121 tackles and Garner was third with 66, and they were the biggest reasons why the Mean Green finished in the top 20 nationally in tackles for loss per game.

1 Like

That UNT game could be tougher than usual. That said, by then, our offense should be a well-oiled machine. It’ll be closer than normal, but we should prevail.

4 Likes

I expect UNT to bring it with everything they have. This is a big game – for both teams IMHO – we can’t be looking down at them and taking them for granted.

We are not in a position to look down at ANYONE!!

6 Likes

We sure aren’t.

The thought of our secondary going against UNT (not to mention OU and Wazzu) is not comforting.

1 Like

If our secondary doesn’t have it figured out after going up against OU and Wazzu, then we deserve to lose and will be shredded in conference play. I’m going to go with the experienced coach and mobile QB in this game. Coogs win by 14 or more!