Optimistic off-season improvements i'd like to see

Pesik wrote:

Nate

Realistic Improvements:

• Mastery of a skillset- Nate is good at most things but he isnt great at anything . would love to see him latch on to a skillset and become a master at it (driving, shooting, defense, passing etc)
  • Initiating half-court offense- more assertive in attacking
  • Improving vertical/Going up stronger- 75% of blocks against our team that didn’t result in fouls last season were on Nate, 3 were momentum changing (looked like easy transition points for us that led to easy points for them). He doesn’t up go strong. he needs to be either dunking it or atleast protecting the ball with his body like rob

Unlikely but not impossible improvements:

• Mastery of multiple skillsets

I think Nate Hinton will be much improved for the 2019-2020 season. He has so much untapped potential it is scary. He now has a year of experience on his resume, he knows the speed and physical nature of the college game, he knows what is expected of him by CKS and the staff, and, as you mentioned, he can do several things well. That leads me to believe that he will have a breakout season. I love the versatility in his game. I agree with you that if he becomes more assertive, watch out. He has the skill sets to take over games. I’m hoping that CKS lights that fire under him ala Corey Davis, Jr., i.e., go lead this team and make some plays…be the man on defense and let that elevate your style of play on offense. To me, Nate Hinton has all the ingredients to be a leader. He can adjust to a defense and make plays. If you play him tight on the perimeter, he can go past you to the rim. If you step back and give him a look at the long ball, he can make it. He can dribble/drive and pull up for a mid-range jumper, or finish at the rim. As he matures and gets stronger, he will be a go-to guy for CKS. Nate Hinton was an excellent find by this coaching staff.

I guess you can tell, I’m amped up to see this kid do big things for our Coogs!

Go Coogs! Peace.

1 Like

Dejon is a drive and dish/score guy who can occasionally shoot a trey. I think coach brought him in because he knew Dejon could contribute immediately.
Although Jarreau is not considered a great outside shooter, I think he can be decent, especially if he comes on like Robinson did last year.
Now that he has a year under his game belt I expect him to be one of the team leaders. While I think he will average in double figures, it would surprise me if he led the team in scoring.
Guys Hinton, Mills and White will all be able to score.
Regardless, this upcoming team should be fun to watch…

2 Likes

Think you might be selling Hinton and Mills short, and may even a beefed up Gresham and White. Also I expect newcomer Gorham to make contributions on both ends. I do not expect Deeky to carry the load and I bet our coaches don’t either…

1 Like

Exactly. He was brought in to penetrate and break defenses down to either take it to the basket himself or dish it off to teammates. Galen could penetrate but he’s barely 6’ while Deeky is a legit 6’5’

The beauty of this thread is that compared to the train wreck five years ago, we are now deep and talented and bringing guys we weren’t able to for years, AND the coaching/conditioning necessary to win and develop. I am spoiled knowing that we have been dancing two years in a row and will be in the conversation before, during AND after each season NATIONALLY! Like it was when I was in school 1981-85.

3 Likes

Great post ^^^^^^^^^ and perspective!!!