Oral History of the Southwest Confernece

https://twitter.com/skhanjr/status/1334139559819489281?s=20

5 Likes

Sure we’re cheatin’…lol.

This is one of the best reads of SWC history in a long time. Hardly anything new, as tends to be the case when you write about something that’s been over for 25 years, but it’s all extremely well-put.

5 Likes

Carr: What amazed me was that three public institutions left the fourth one behind. Houston was just not acceptable to A&M and Texas, bottom line. You go back to the early origins of the University of Houston and it was a junior college. The Texas A&M people called Houston Cougar High. That was part of the disdain that flowed naturally from the hearts and minds of the folks at A&M. They had emotion and more negativity than the [University of] Texas tea-sippers. Theirs was a social disdain. The tea-sippers weren’t emotional, they were sophisticated and snobbish. They looked at the University of Houston as unworthy: “We won’t give them the time of day.”

Lovely people those Aggies

9 Likes

Yes, f… the gaggies and all their dead dogs!

1 Like

If I were Grand Poobah of College Football, I would make a lot of changes. The first is that I would bring back the SWC.

6 Likes

Yet another reason to dislike Ann Richards and Bob Bullock.

9 Likes

It doesn’t work as a conference. Not enough national appeal and too many schools in too small of an area.

Good for UH but there is a reason it failed.

2 Likes

Yeah, the SWC was fun, but given the choice I’d have taken the Big XII South over it in a heartbeat. The SWC had a lot of chaff and not so much wheat.

1 Like

The current landscape of college football wouldn’t let it survive.

i’d love to see the 4 state schools come together and add 8 more schools (BYU for example)for a new SWC. One can dream right?

But in the end, it looks like everyone got what they wanted. But did it really work out for them? TU and Aggy ended up ok, but what about Tech and Baylor?

3 Likes

4 Likes

Obviously we are biased, but replacing Baylor with UH would have been great.

Texas/Oklahoma/A&M/Ok. State/Tech/Houston is a great division. I do still think A&M heads to the SEC when they call still.

I wonder if what happens when the PAC calls on the XII schools in 2011 if Houston was there instead of Baylor. Does the PAC say no to Houston instead of Colorado? Probably. But theres a chance that we still end up there.

1 Like

I’ll always hate Ann Richards for this

4 Likes

I would say, yes they would have taken Houston. They were willing to take Tech. UT probably don’t change their minds because of Baylor lawsuit threat. UH, UT, OU, OSU would have been in Pac12 to form Pac16.

1 Like

Funny…

Grant Teaff saying that they were the only ones not cheating. There may have never been a bigger BS’er than Grant Teaff.

5 Likes

Yes, Grant Teaff is full of $h1! when he claims that Baylor was not cheating. Within the SWC, I think that Bill Yeoman might have had the lowest regard for him.

3 Likes

I can’t imagine any true blue coogfan reading that, and not having their opinions of Bullock and Richards drop a little.

3 Likes

Nothing is lamer than the still insisting that Baylor wasn’t cheating on the SWC. The statue of limitations has long passed on this, just say we didn’t get caught. Same as Dickerson saying his recruitment was on the up and up. No one believes it and at this point it’s just insulting to say “we didn’t chest” out “I didn’t take anything, even at peak cheating”

2 Likes

That article is interesting in its discussion of the 1995 UH v. Rice game at Rice Stadium that turned out the lights on the SWC.

I was in my second year of law school at UH at the time, and I was at that game.

GREAT game with GREAT memories, even though it featured two teams that were both lousy that year!

1 Like

…But, but, but…How can you hate an “innocent bickeriding grandma”…who “wouldn’t hurt a flee”.(lol)

1 Like