OT: Baylor Scandal(s)

https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/1035742820315930624

One coach called a Baylor regent “that little punk motherf-----,” according to the filing. At another point, Rhoades yelled at assistant coach Chris Achuff, “You better be f------ respectful. Right now! You better lower your f------ voice right now.”

Phil Bennett, Briles’ defensive coordinator, told Rhoades not to raise his voice at the group, “because I’m going to tell you something, that bulls— works two ways.”

Rhoades allegedly agreed regents had acted improperly by speaking to The Wall Street Journal and said Baylor “fought like hell” to keep the assistant coaches’ names out of the article. Rhoades also told the coaches he would vouch for their character to any athletics director in the nation.

“I hate it for each one of you, because you’re good people,” Rhoades said.

That transcript really does indicate some creepy and appalling stuff; if there is a hell i bet every member of that Board of Regents has a one way ticket.

2 Likes

Stewart singled out Ramsower, who he said “wielded extreme power and authority” over university functioning. Ramsower oversaw multimillion-dollar deals, had control over the Baylor Police Department and had supervision over Title IX office beginning in the summer of 2016.

“And it was always curious to me how someone in that position would be responsible for the oversight of many of the functions that he was in control of,” Stewart said.

Amid the turmoil of the investigation, Stewart said Ramsower presented an ultimatum to several regents: If Starr were to remain as president, Ramsower would accept a role as president of another small Baptist university in West Texas.

Ramsower was also the target of Patty Crawford, the Title IX coordinator who resigned in October 2016, citing a lack of administrative support for her efforts. Baylor strongly disputed her claims.

When questioned by a Baylor lawyer, Stewart said he “cannot imagine that Baylor would have responded with deliberate indifference … in connection with any claim.”

Still, Stewart alleged no facts were offered during Pepper Hamilton LLP’s presentation into the university’s response to sexual violence reports. He alleged the investigation did not go “far enough,” and he alleged that the 13-page summary of the investigation released by the board at the time — a document called “Findings of Fact” — was not factual or representative of the presentation.

If a specific person is named by the NCAA, be it a coach, an administrator or official, a hearing can be conducted as part of this process. That would likely at least include Briles among other people.

Baylor had initially hoped to avoid any serious punishment from the NCAA, based on North Carolina’s experience with its academic fraud case in 2017. Normally the NCAA punishes universities when infractions are specific to the athletic department or when athletes receive benefits that are not available to the entire student population.

In recent months, evidence has shown that the handling of sexual assault cases at Baylor was not merely an athletic department issue.

News 10 has learned that Baylor attorneys have been investigating allegations that, while on a business trip to Mexico in 2014, then Chairman Willis made racial slurs, referring to black Baylor football players using the “n” word and white female students at Baylor using the “p” word.

Willis also allegedly made disparaging remarks about then University President Kenneth Starr and his wife.

The allegations are part of sworn affidavits provided by two witnesses to the comments, Waco businessman Greg Klepper and Mexican business consultant Alejandro Urdaneta.

All three were in Mexico at a business dinner in 2014 when the inflammatory comments were allegedly made.

The student group known as the Baylor Bruins was “on call for football players to make sure that they had a good time,” Crawford said.

Some members of the group tried to protect football players accused of sexual assault, she said. Some members of the group became pregnant with children of football players and “ended up having to quit” as a result, while Title IX would protect students who become pregnant and safeguard their access to education, Crawford said in the Aug. 2 deposition.

Welp, Baylor cleared itself of the findings that it fed the world and the Big 12 cleared Baylor. Good to know that Baylor is all good now. :roll_eyes:

To date, the Big 12 Conference has withheld $14,255,000 from Baylor’s revenue distribution. From the amount currently withheld, Baylor will immediately reimburse the Conference for its legal costs associated with the Verification - currently $1,651,000. The approximately $12.6 million remaining will be invested for the next 48 months. Net earnings realized on the investments will be distributed in equal portions to the 10 members of the Conference on an annual basis and will be used in funding campus-wide and athletics prevention efforts focused on sexual and gender-based harassment and violence, intimate partner violence, and stalking, including, but not limited to, programming addressing healthy relationships, LGBTQ+ discrimination, and bystander awareness. At the end of the 48-month period the Board will determine the amount to be returned to Baylor minus a $2,000,000 fine for reputational damage to the Conference and its members. The Board action immediately returns Baylor to full participation in future Conference revenue distributions.

“There is nothing to see here”
Absolutely appalling.

2 Likes

Baylor and UNC-CHeat prove that stonewall, deny, and spend mega bucks on lawyers is the way to go.

3 Likes

True. I believe in karma too.

So Art did nothing wrong and can return from his banishment to Italy?

And I wonder what the % splits are on these - I am guessing equal share or more in favor of (A):

Net earnings realized on the investments will be
A) distributed in equal portions to the 10 members of the Conference on an annual basis and
B) will be used in funding campus-wide and athletics prevention efforts focused on sexual and gender-based harassment and violence, intimate partner violence, and stalking, including, but not limited to, programming addressing healthy relationships, LGBTQ+ discrimination, and bystander awareness.

1 Like

Really good thorough write-up of what’s going on with the NCAA and Baylor. Baylor seems worried that they’er going to get hit hard by the “lack of institutional control” clause. I included the below because screw the Big 12:

When the Big 12 released its verification report of Baylor at the end of October, it confirmed the school has implemented 105 measures and improvements to its Title IX office. That confirmation put Baylor in good standing with the conference.

While that report will not hurt Baylor’s case with the NCAA, the Big 12 did minimal to zero of its own investigating. The conference basically took the work of the legal team representing Baylor, created its own “Big 12 Report,” thereby concluding its involvement on this matter.

Simply amazing but hardly surprising that B12 conducted no investigation. And Baylor didn’t impose any self-sanctions after “implementing 105 measures and improvements to its Title IX office”? Of course not. They are a religious school. All is forgiven. Amazing.

4 Likes

“The jury rejected the state’s narrative and concluded that the state had failed to prove this was a non-consensual encounter,” Oakman’s attorney, Alan Bennett, said. “… Shawn and his family are so appreciative of the jury’s careful attention to and thoughtful consideration of the evidence. In my 29 years of courtroom experience, I have never experienced a more emotional celebration when a verdict was read.”

BU admits tour guides removed newspapers

Wexford, Pa., senior Ben Christie was eating lunch with friends at Penland Crossroads on Feb. 9 when a student tour guide took their copy of the Feb. 8 issue of the Lariat with a front page story titled “Fifth alleged rape reported.”

“The girl who took the newspaper from our table, she told us her boss had told her to do it,” Christie said. “Then they said it was something they didn’t want students to see.”

Dallas senior Hunter Meroney was also eating lunch with Christie when they saw the newspapers being removed from their stands.

“A female tour guide came up and grabbed my friend’s newspaper, I imagine to hide it from guests,” Meroney said. “After that, we saw her take the rest of the newspapers off the stands at Penland [Crossroads] and throw them away.”

Feel bad for him. False accusers should get hard time. Ruined the kids life.

Failed to prove- does not mean false accusation. Just means they couldn’t prove it.

If you’re found innocent in a court of law your Innocent.

1 Like