OT: Blast from the Past — '93 Faculty Vote to Ban Athletics

I took Pjysics I from Dr. Reiter in I think Spring 2001. I never knew his stance on athletics and am saddened by this news. My condolences to his family. He seemed like a very genuine and nice man. Told us storied of playing stickball while growing up in Brooklyn. May he rest in peace.

1 Like

Right after the basketball team upset Arizona in 2005, my History professor thought UH should drop football and put all that money into basketball. After experiencing 0-11 and being blown out in Ft. Worth by Kansas, I thought that was a great idea at the time.

2 Likes

As a kid recruited to UH for academics I would never have considered coming if not for Phi Slama Jama and the Run and Shoot. Similar story for others I attended UH with who were from out of state. No high level athletics and most of us probably would have gone elsewhere.

4 Likes

Having been a UH fan since I was five years old (my Dad was a long-time season ticket holder, having gone to both grad school and law school at UH), getting the chance to see UH sports again played a BIG role in my decision to attend law school at UH.

Was it the only factor? Of course not. Was it the biggest factor? No. The fact that UH had a really KICK ASS law school that was, at the time, the least expensive of the law schools ranked in the USNEWS Top 50 was the biggest.

But had UH not offered any big-time athletics, my decision might have been different. I had done my undergrad at a Division III school, and I really missed the atmosphere of attending/following big-time athletics.

2 Likes

UH passed Rice in AAU ratings over ten years ago. Funny how myths stay alive. At that time we ranked even with Stony Brook. George was a great human being.

Mine is tautological? You are repeating the same drivel the faculty senate used 25 years ago. Since Dr. Khator gave full support to the athletic department, our university has flourished, that you can’t deny. So Mr. Hobbes, why don’t you take a vacation? I am not going to continue to banter with you about this issue that has been settled.

I didn’t make an argument re athletics. I simply pointed out your logical fallacy. I wouldn’t be on this board if I didn’t support UH athletics.

When we were playing in the regional in KC back during the Phi slamma Jamma era, I was on an assignment in West Virginia. Flying to KC, after making a connecting flight, I sat by a man flying from New York who happened to be another UH alumnus going to the game. I asked him how he decided to go to UH being a New York native. He told me he watched the “Game of the Century” against UCLA and became a fan of UH and decided that’s where he wanted to go.

2 Likes

Typically the anti athletic faction is made up of those that consider themselves super intellectual and above such boorish behavior. They also have a stiffy for coaches that make more than they do.

1 Like

Gadfly,

When I was a student, I was all too happy to subsidize athletics with my student activity fee. That was the “student activity” that I was the most involved in, regardless of whether I could play on the teams or not (obviously I could not).

There was no bigger UH sports fan/groupie when I was in school than yours truly. That WAS my main “student activity.” “Subsidizing” it was cool with me. Didn’t detract from my academic experience at UH one bit.

I’ve never seen big-time athletics and big-time academics as an “either/or” proposition. I’ve always believed that it’s possible to be great at BOTH at the same time.

4 Likes

This reminds me of a family member of mine. He has a Phd in economics, travels the world and does lectures. He tried the private sector working for a business. He failed very quickly. Why am I posting it? Because there is a world of difference between School and real life. Yes we all benefit from fundamentals but we as individual “mold” our own future and success. I have mentioned this countless times. Our ticket sales success should be jointly coordinated with our Bauer business School. What better class to teach, show and demonstrate what can be achieved to satisfy both spectrum?

2 Likes

Those that can, do.
Those that can’t, teach!

Wow, its views like this that make UH fans look like idiots.

4 Likes

reality of a G5 and actually a few P5. Students voted on it and support it. Why would you troll an athletic focused board? You know what you are doing

What views are you referring?

The one putting down teachers.

1 Like

If the shoe fits…

Does that apply to K-12 teachers or just university professors? Also apply to coaches? Those that play will play and those that can’t coach?

1 Like

The problem is some professions feel the need to agitate on culture and society: actors and academics.

Had the window washers or plumbers at UH voted to end athletics I’d have been more worried.

I am curious who the other 24 professors were who voted to abolish and if they are still part of the University now. I also wonder if any have changed their stance.