OT: Blast from the Past — '93 Faculty Vote to Ban Athletics

That was 26 years ago, I’d bet most are gone. There may be a couple of the younger ones still around, but guys that were in their mid 40s, 50s, and older are probably gone.

DustinK,

As far as who the other faculty members that voted on the anti-athletics side were, one of them was definitely law professor Stephen Huber, who was on the Faculty Senate from the law school at the time, and was always bad mouthing UH sports; he was once quoted in the media as saying that UH athletics should be dropped to the Division III level back when that vote was taken.

That guy has since retired from teaching at UHLC, and that’s a GOOD thing. I had that guy for two classes (Contracts II and Administrative Law), and pretty much learned ZILCH in both. He was worthless and completely ineffective as an instructor. Good riddance. I had no choice but to take Contracts II from him, but in hindsight, I should have taken Admin. Law with the late great Yale Rosenberg. He’d have been excellent!

Robert Palmer, another long-time law professor who has since retired (and in his case, that’s a shame, because unlike Huber, his teaching was outstanding, and his Trusts and Wills final exam was a BEYOTCH; ask cglaw who took the class with me at the time if you don’t believe me), was a huge contemporary anti-athletics activist as well, but I don’t know that he was on the Faculty Senate at the time. If he was, then I’m sure he’d have been another one that voted against athletics.

1 Like

Any source on this?

I can tell you that Research expenditures are a big chunk of the AAU metrics, and UH definitely has passed Rice up on that.

See below:

https://ncsesdata.nsf.gov/profiles/site?method=rankingBySource&ds=herd

1 Like

The dean of graduate studies and Academic Analytics. We were far above ATM in the Liberal Arts.

Written source? Or is this just hearsay?

When we add the UH medical school our research ranking will rise again!