OT: How To Get on SW Fwy After Games

Anyone have a favorite way to get on the SW Fwy after the games?

Google maps directs me to go up Cullen and then, just past the Fwy, do a loop back around the Catholic Center. But, IIRC, getting on inbound Gulf Fwy from Cullen no longer works because, after the recent construction, at that point the freeway is past the split for taking the SW Fwy.

For now I’m going S. on Cullen to Braeswood to 288 by HEB and then heading north to SW Fwy.

And you can go across campus and take University to Spur 5 and pick up the SW Fwy from there. Also, Alabama to the Spur into downtown off 59 works. Note: the Spur on-ramp from 'bama is treacherously short – jogging down to Richmond is safer.

Thanks for any tips…

2 Likes

When was the “recent” construction? Wednesday night, we, as usual, turned East onto Elgin, turned under 45, ran the feeder and did the circle just before Cullen. No problem getting onto 45, then 59/288 but finding where to turn off of Elgin takes some care . . . . .

2 Likes

It is dark!! Very easy to miss the turn first time trying.

2 Likes

Thanks! I haven’t used E. on Elgin to 45 – I’ll give it a try…

From the Fertitta Center / Stadium go north on Cullen, go under the Freeway and immediately past 45 on the right you will see the on ramp to get on to 45. It will take you to the SW freeway exit on the left as before.

4 Likes

Oh wow, this is the perfect way to do it. Had no idea of that entry ramp. Many thanks!!!

3 Likes

Scott to Southmore, right on Southmore, right on 288 and the entrance lane turns into the exit lane for 59S.

4 Likes
2 Likes

That entry ramp was built as part of the recent reconstruction. TxDOT probably needs to sign it better.

3 Likes

I used to take Wheeler.

Of course that was in the 1960’s and 70’s.

1 Like

Thanks for that info.

I use the Cullen to 45 ramp when there is NO TRAFFIC on Cullen. Otherwise, I use the Elgin route. Same ramp onto 45, but two entrances to the ramp. Be careful from Cullen, there are raised areas for sidewalk just prior to making the turn onto the ramp . . . . .

3 Likes

Thanks for the tips, everybody! Here’s a Google Maps view of the ‘new’ on-ramp @rickyd1 mentioned, while it was under construction. :grinning:Glad I asked about this…

1 Like

I learned something new,…huh…thanks.

1 Like

This was pretty hilarious. Those old SNL casts were the best.

1 Like

FYI — Construction on 59 has outbound at 610 down to ONE lane this weekend!

Funny how things can be

I use to have that problem on getting on the freeway after class 50 years ago

1 Like

Thanks for the headsup !

1 Like

I’ll be taking 90 from 610 South (Main St South) to Sugarland area, then jump on 59 S . . . . .

1 Like

288 south to 610 west, exit south braeswood to 59 South. Done.

2 Likes