OT: just to clear things up

I received an email with a resume from a UH graduate seeking employment, who referred to herself as an alumnae of UH. I think it is important for anyone to have things written correctly on resumes when seeking employment and that was not correct. I see various posts here that refer to themself as an alumni of UH. At the risk of seeming overbearing, I thought I would clear this up for some of you younger guys who may be unsure of the correct terminology.

Alumnus is used to refer to a male graduate or former student. Alumni is the plural of alumnus but can also be used to refer to a group of men and woman graduates/former students. Alumna is used to refer to a woman graduate or former student. Alumnae is the plural of alumna.

4 Likes

We are too dependent on autocorrect and other grammer programs. I use a paid sub for a program called grammarly. It is great, but it does have quirks that cause it to ā€œautocorrectā€ the wrong words.

I am guilty of being dependent of such things for quick emails, but the resume should be triple checked many many times.

2 Likes

This is correct. However language evolves and I think these terms will eventually go the way of the DoDo. I do like it though when applicants pay attention to tiny details, thatā€™s a good sign.

4 Likes

Query: can a person properly call him/her/themself an alumnus, or an alumna, if he/she/they merely attended, but did not graduate from UH?

Just curious.

Is graduation/receiving a degree from a school a requirement for ā€œalumniā€ status? Or is mere attendance for a time sufficient?

Iā€™d be curious to hear what people say.

2 Likes

Yes according to the dictionary.

Dictionary
Search for a word
aĀ·lumĀ·nus
/əĖˆləmnəs/
noun
a graduate or former student, especially a male one, of a particular school, college, or university.
ā€œa Harvard alumnusā€

OK, so merely being a ā€œformer studentā€ is enough, regardless of whether or not he/she/they actually graduated.

Got it.

1 Like

At LSU they had a thing Called ABC (alumnus by choice) for people who did not even attend, but sent in money.

Yes. Alumnus refers to graduates and former students. It can also be used to refer to former members of an organization or group.

I hope Latin never goes away. In fact, Latin should be required study starting in about the 5th grade. Latin is exceptionally good at teaching the student how to think logically. Greek works for this too, but I like Latin because you donā€™t have to learn a new alphabet.

Moreover, a B-C Latin student can switch to any Romance language (French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian) after a couple of years and pretty much get straight Aā€™s. A good strategy to boost oneā€™s GPA in high school or college is to take Latin in middle school (if you can find one that teaches it) or in high school and then switch to French or Italian at the next level. Easy Aā€™s.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a stretch. Iā€™d call it inventing oneā€™s own language.

1 Like

My understanding is, if you attended you can use the terms but not ā€œgraduateā€ obviously.

section230,

At my high school alma mater, St. Johnā€™s School (which offers K-12), thatā€™s more or less what they do. Everyone takes Latin in junior high, then switches to another language (not all take a Romance language though) in high school.

Students can also opt to take more Latin in high school in lieu of a new foreign language; people that donā€™t like studying foreign languages usually like that option, simply because they donā€™t end up having to take as many foreign language classes.

Personally, I didnā€™t attend SJS until rather late, so I never took any Latin. Did well in Spanish there though.

Latin is also useful for students who plan to pursue a degree in medicine or law.

1 Like

Thereā€™s potentially a schizophrenia joke here, but we discussed it and decided that I shouldnā€™t go there. :slightly_smiling_face:

:no_mouth:

This is the official membership eligibility policy of the UHAA.

Maybe sheā€™s using it like the ā€œroyal weā€.

2 Likes

Sadly, most schools that offer Latin are private which disqualifies most people. Thede are few charter (public) schools offering Latin in middle school. Not sure how many in the Houston area. I know of one in Katy.

Hey Red, please dont allow her misguidance on the proper way to use the term keep her away from employment consideration. You said it, many on this board use it the wrong way as well. I think she will do much better once she learn the proper way of using it, and thank you for bringing that to all of our attention!

We sell a bunch of gear with Alumni on it instead of alumnus or alumnaā€¦

It is Latin. Therefore it is set in stone. The evolved versions are French, Spanish, and Italian. Because it is intentional use of an old language for posterity no evolution can occur. Misuse is just wrong.

1 Like