OT: just to clear things up

Since this is an educational thread, I think you meant to say “… a dissociative identity disorder joke …” Schizophrenia does not involve multiple identities.

1 Like

That’s the joke. :thinking:

I took two years of Latin in high school. I joke that it was good for reading coins and seals, but it really does help your vocabulary. I remember taking the ACT/SAT and seeing these words that you never saw in everyday conversation, but because I knew the Latin root of the word, I knew what it meant.

It also helped with sentence structure and knowing how and when to use words like who and whom.

2 Likes

I forgot about the above benefit. The vast majority of Americans don’t know what is written on our money. Maybe that’s why people like movies like “National Treasure”. It’s an unraveling of mystery!

Also, as a side note, when the scholars who translated the King James Bible got stuck, they went back to St. Jerome’s translation of the Bible into Latin for help. That is says a lot about not just Latin, but St. Jerome, the patron saint of translators.

Re: The OP… DON’T get me started!!!

DD, I wouldn’t ever hold someone back for something like that. From time to time I get resumes from people who need a job and looking for some help. I carefully read them, and if there are mispellings or misuse of grammar, I correct them before forwarding them to my manager, or the manager of which department that would be appropriate. However, since there are those who automaticlly throw away resumes with misuse or spelling errors, I also send a corrected copy back to the sender so he or she can avoid the problem when sending to others.

Along the way, we have all had help in one form or another and we all know how important a good word or recommnedation from someone inside of an organization can be. I’m no big wheel, but I will help where I can, and with 50 years in the business, I have built a reputation that allows me to do so.

2 Likes

Please add Portuguese and Romanian too.
Interesting read: