OT: Marlins and Reds - COVID

Not sure where to put this, so thought I would throw it in here. In case you don’t keep up with the MLB, the Miami Marlins and Cincinnati Reds are already dealing with COVID outbreaks. Season started on Friday. This will be the first test to see how sports will manage in the COVID world.

Anyone watching?

1 Like

Those cardboard cut out fans are a trip. lol

Watched all three Stros games. Very happy to have it back to enjoy. Watched the Yanks/Nats and Dodgers/Giants on Thu night also.

Got to watch some sports for a change. Sick of the rest of it.

1 Like

Marlins have cancelled their home opener. What a mess. Unlikely the MLB finishes their season.

I enjoyed watching the Skeeters last week, the Astros this weekend, and the Dash on Sunday.

Looking forward to NBA and NFL as well!

Hopefully…college football too this Fall!!! (knock on wood)…

GOOD TO HAVE SPORTS BACK!!!

MLB is holding an emergency meeting. Wouldn’t surprise me to just see this shut down.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/lauferlaw/status/1287765813202747393?s=21

It’s disappointing, but is anyone surprised? I posted the link to the October Plan developed by Dr. Hotez, head of infectious diseases at Baylor College of Medicine. He and other experts think it could get us on the other side of the pandemic and even have sports. But if we keep not taking it seriously, we’re going to keep starting and stalling.

1 Like

I don’t have a problem with what the NBA is doing. Creating a bubble for themselves. I don’t necessarily like that it is in Florida, but I think they can finish their season.

The MLB is flying cross country and playing in their home ballparks. Should have created 2 divisions with bubbles in Florida and Arizona. And gone from there.

College football should go to regional conferences this year if they decide to play. Won’t happen, though.

1 Like

Just after Portland closes down 2 COVID threads due to bad behavior last night, two more pop up like wild weeds the next morning. I bet he is loving this crowd. Poor guy!

:rofl:

1 Like

Can’t agree more. Loved watching the Stros this weekend, although Divo blew yesterday’s game and Justin has a sore right forearm now and is at risk for the season. Watched the Rockets exhibition game last night which wasn’t so hot, but its an exhibition game. Glad to have it back. Nobody said it was going to be easy.

Was listening this morning to all the processes and procedures the Texans have implemented and all the changes they have made and money they have spent. Basically the view is, the team that executes the best under COVID by learning to live with the virus within their sports are positioning themselves best to win a championship. The same will be true at the collegitate level.

MLB fly charters and have for decades. They will have games cancelled. Probably finish with an inbalances in total games but they have 16 teams making the playoffs. They’ll have bumps along the way. Its up to them to figure it out.

It was obvious to me watching the games that they could be much more careful then they were demonstrating. Not seeing the club house, I’m wouldn’t be surprised that they could be tightening up much more. We’ll see what happens. But hopefully it scares them enough to tighten up. Would hate to see the season be lost when it is obvious that so much more tightening can be done. I would hope that they can get it right. It should be possible. If baseball isn’t possible (which I don’t believe to be the case), there is no way football can be pulled off. But it appears the NFL teams are planning on executing much tighter.

Edit - All is good tonight!

Stros come from behind 8 - 5 win over the Mariners. Take the series 3-1. Bombs by Altuva and Bregman!!!

I enjoyed it as well but MLB is really becoming a circus

17 Marlins tested positive. They’re going to be using a lot of that alternate team for the next couple of weeks.

No Phillies tested positive. So, there is a bright side.

Sounds like the Marlins had a process problem or one where the players didn’t follow the process. Its pretty obvious with 6,400 MLB COVID tests being conducted since 7/24 and the Marlins being the only positive results. Can’t wait to hear how it happended and what one or multiple players did to bring it into the clubhouse. Vegas ought to put a line out there on the cause. Any chances a strip club visit as the basketball player did who was hungry for some wings.

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1288189636087619585?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

Marlins are hitting the pause button for a while

1 Like

I would like to see them throw in some
famous folks hidden amongst the “crowd”.
Maybe an Albert Einstein, young Elvis,
Marilyn Monroe, 3 stooges, MLK, etc

Marlins not the only ones shutting it down. Phillies did as well.

How can we have a legitimate playoff or championship if teams cannot play full seasons? Curious to see how all of this will work.

There’s a reason Adam Silver is the best commissioner in sports. They will be the only league that starts and finishes their season.