OT: Memphis Might Fire Tubby Smith for Penny Hardaway? (Update: Tubby out, Penny hired)

lol i didnt mean that he coached, i meant the caliber of players tied to him…

#1 player 5star (projected #1 draft pick of 19), a second 5 star, 2 other espn 100, 2 other top 200 4star froo the 19 class…that’s just on HIS teams, he will have pull over many other teams in his circuit

not to mention the 4star in 2018 who is liking a bunch of posts about him potentially going to memphis…

There’s a poster on this board that was told by someone in the athletic administration in 1993 that the insistence on keeping Alvin was not the primary reason Tubby didn’t take the job.

All I remember from that time was us hiring Brooks, the board of regents realizing he was going to get paid lower than most SWC coaches, didn’t want to appear racist so they voted him a raise before his first game as a head coach and then the faculty went nuts. The faculty senate even voted by a large margin to recommend dismantling intercollegiate athletics because the faculty had been underpaid compared to most SWC schools and were a lower priority than athletics.

1 Like

His salary was raised because the Luv Coach’s salary was higher because he was hired by his BFF Bill Carr. Discrepancy in pay levels was deemed to be racist so Alvin got a substantial pay hike

1 Like

What depressing memories. The beginning of some miserable years following UH Athletics

4 Likes

Pretty sure no one was more depressed than John Moores. Not sure how involved he was with the Carr, Brooks and Helton hires though.

1 Like

Tubby Smith posts on this board !!:sunglasses:

This lays out some compelling arguments.

Hmmm…the more I think about this, why not hire Larry Brown as the head coach and make Hardaway the assistant (head coach in waiting). That will let Penny learn the ropes for a couple of years, learn how recruiting works, and get up to speed on the college game before being thrust directly into the role of the head coach.

As it is now, he’ll be more limited when it comes to recruiting as the head coach and will ultimately be the guy that has to stand in front of the podium and answer questions…even if things don’t go well. Plus, do they expect 77 year old Larry Brown to hit the road and recruit, which is what most assistants do? Do they even want to allow Brown to do that given his history of skirting the rules and the current NCAA landscape?

Just seems very risky. College isn’t high school so hopefully Memphis knows what they’re doing.

2 Likes

3) Hardaway wouldn’t be the first former player to coach at his alma mater
There are examples of success and failure when schools hire an all-time great player to serve as head coach.

Clyde Drexler served as the head coach at Houston for two years and compiled a 19-39 record. Fred Hoiberg came back to Iowa State and went to the NCAA tournament four years in a row.

Currently, Patrick Ewing is completing his first year at Georgetown and enters the postseason with a 15-14 record. Chris Mullin is finishing his third season as the head coach at St. John’s, but has yet to compile an above .500 record.

Others serving at the schools they attended, include Jim Boeheim at Syracuse, Bob Huggins at West Virginia and Kevin Ollie at UConn, who won a national championship in 2014, but is under fire for his team going 14-17 in the regular season and 7-11 in the American Athletic Conferernce.

At Memphis, former Tigers great Larry Finch returned to serve as the school’s head coach for 11 years (1986-97) and qualified for the NCAA tournament six times. He was also the coach that convinced Hardaway to stay at home and play for the Tigers out of high school.

5) Hardaway is in a legal battle with the TSSAA
Hardaway will attempt to win his third-straight TSSAA AAA state championship at East next week, but this season’s run has not been without controversy.

The TSSAA initially ruled two of Hardaway’s players ineligible after it determined the school violated the prior coaching link rule. James Wiseman, considered the No. 1 recruit in the 2019 class by multiple recruiting outlets, and Ryan Boyce each transferred to East this year after playing for Team Penny during the offseason.

After the initial decision, however, Shelby County Schools sued the TSSAA and a Shelby County chancellor granted a temporary restraining order that allowed Wiseman and Boyce to play this season. The case remains unresolved and could result in East being stripped of its wins this season if Wiseman and Boyce are ultimately ruled ineligible again.

Sounds like a perfect place to inject Larry Brown.

Great B.B. coach who never met a rule that he liked. That’s why he was perfect for the NBA…no rules.

3 Likes

On #5 I believe that same rule exists in TX which is why select basketball, baseball and 7on7 coaches do not also coach UIL HS teams.

3 Likes

It’s a shame that some kids are being raised for the NBA and parents make decisions accordingly instead of ones that support education.

1 Like

How can they keep Tubby now that the school has allowed all the speculation over his replacement? At least he’ll leave a richer man than when he arrived. I also think that Memphis will regret bringing Penny in with such little experience.

This whole thing seems desperate, short-sighted, and classless.

Not only that, 3 or 4 top recruits don’t mean squat if you can’t coach them to this level. I mean with Dickey it got us to the CBI.

3 Likes

If we hired Penny as an assistant coach right now, how long do you think it would take us to get the death penalty? 3…2…1

1 Like

This could get ugly at Memphis. Penny contributing to the recruiting woes for Tubby?

I doubt Penny is keeping kids from Memphis, but found this interesting:

Memphis had been campaigning for an invitation to join the Big 12 when the league was discussing expansion. In the end, it was not one of the 11 schools asked to make a presentation to the conference.

“He gets there and all of a sudden it appears as though they were never really a contender,” Lefft said. “There’s some people that now sit on the board that are some pretty significant folks, along with the president and both the athletic administrators who were part of the process, and (they) represented to him that this was going to happen.

“Now, he’s not walking out because it didn’t happen. He’s doing his job.”

So the Memphis folks were sure that they were going to be picked for the Big 12 and yet they supposedly weren’t even among the final teams. Hmmm…

Tubby meeting w Memphis official in a few hours.
That will be all she wrote.
I thought he did a great job this year after losing 6 transfers.
USF should make him an offer as soon as Memphis lets him go.

2 Likes

I’d really love to hear Kelvin’s true thoughts on this. He and Tubby, as well as their wives, are really close friends