OT: Memphis Might Fire Tubby Smith for Penny Hardaway? (Update: Tubby out, Penny hired)

Clyde deserved to be thrown under the bus.

7 Likes

https://twitter.com/GaryParrishCBS/status/976263652453044224

3 Likes

Yep. Clyde was one of my favorite players, but just a terrible coach. He was hired for nothing more than his name recognition. Other than a really fun win over UT (the only time I got to rush the floor in my illustrious college stint), he presided over some truly terrible basketball years.

1 Like

I predict the NBA will get the #1 prospect in 2019

I’m not going to put up a defense for Clyde’s coaching, but it’s the brother rule. I can beat up my brother, but I’ll kill anyone outside the family that lays a finger on him.

8 Likes

Probably not much different than what it was when we hired Sampson. haha

It’s not his “coaching” that was the issue. I think it’s much more to do with his commitment.

Really? Over texting?

1 Like

Didn’t realize we were talking about the severity of violations?? Just saying he got in trouble twice. Brown got in trouble twice. It’s nothing personal.

And I think at this point Memphis fans will take the huge gamble of Penny over the known quantity of Tubby Smith and what that team returned.

Anyone wanna take a bet on who’s gonna have a better record over the next four years, UConn or Memphis? My money is on UConn.

I’d take UCONN as well. Hurley is more of a sure thing than Hardaway is.

4 Likes

UConn.

Brown’s had NCAA violations at all 3 schools where he’s been head coach (UCLA, Kansas, and SMU).

Memphish because money matters.

Technically, I think the violations at Kansas were considered to occur the year after he left, but sure doesn’t pass the smell test. (Go ahead Nick Wright, tell me you don’t know what that means. )

1 Like

https://www.si.com/vault/1988/11/14/118850/a-champion-takes-a-fall-kansas-which-last-spring-won-the-ncaas-biggest-basketball-prize-has-now-been-rocked-by-severe-ncaa-penalties

I stand corrected

UConn.

UConn