OU game will have a lot of eyes šŸ‘€

Hey Boss,
If we have at least an average D we will beat OU in a tough game ! Period ! Go Coogs !

2 Likes

Iā€™m thinking OU puts at least a 50 spot on us. I think we score high 20s or low 30s. Good ole romping. I do not expect our defense to be very good however I still think we have a decent year at 8-4

2 Likes

My eyes will be there.

1 Like

Sounds pretty reasonable to me, while still hoping for better outcome.

Doubt it. Mark my words: King will kill OUā€¦

4 Likes

While I like your enthusiasm, you have to remember that like us, OU has a new DC this year and no doubt has better talent on that side of the ball than UH.

By finally getting rid of Stoopā€™s brother, I look for their defense to improve.

If not, then it might be a close game.

1 Like

Whatā€™s interesting to me is that no one really knows. I donā€™t think we can base any prediction on last yearā€™s team, with a terrible coaching staff and a disaster of a bowl game due to many factors (injuries, coaching, mismanagement of coordinators etc) coming to roost in one game.
New HC, returning excellent offensive talent, returning injured players on defense, hopefully much better defensive coordinator, which are encouraging vs New HCā€™s team playing their first game ever, good opponent (who also happens to be somewhat rebuilding) at their house. Also, we still have questions at the CBs

Possibilities are A) that we go up there and get trounced Army-style. I only see this happening if we have another spate of injuries. Army would not have put up 70 with a full health defense. Not saying we would have won, but we wouldnā€™t have been trounced
B) We are competitive in a shoot out, as someone mentioned, like in the Texas Tech game last season. This one is plausible, but I think we may have a more reliable run control game than last season. But if we donā€™t have answers at CBā€¦
C) We win in a dominant fashion a la Louisville. This is least likely and we all would have severely underestimated our talent. The defense would be dominant. The contrast in coaching from last season would be glaring.

B

3 Likes

Exactly!

When my ole friend red80 doesnā€™t pick an undefeated season ā€¦ as usual ā€¦ then I KNOW WE ARE IN TROUBLE ā€¦

Defensively I believe we can keep the sooners from routing us ā€¦ hopefully ā€¦ but the ghost of Army past is STILL lingering over our campus ā€¦ and what is making it worse is that both our QBs had trouble running Holgersonā€™s offense from the unofficial postings coming out of the last practice ā€¦ NOT AN ENCOURAGING SIGN ā€¦

Oh well it took 2 years for Sampson to turn us into a natā€™l power ā€¦ Holgerson may have to travel the same road ā€¦ football-wise ā€¦

4 Likes

So far we are undefeated and I see no reason not to predict an undefeated season. You saw it here ā€” I predict the Coogs will go 14-0 this year!

4 Likes

We went 13-1 in 2015 and we added this kid named Ed that looked great on paper but OU wasnā€™t going to make an offensive gameplan around a true freshman that hasnā€™t ever seen a college down. It was also sort of a home game. In town and we had 2/3rds of the crowd.

Now we are coming off a season that was mediocre enough to fire the coach. We are game planning with a coach that OU has seen many many times. We are playing in front of 80k hostile fans and this time OU has the huge impact newcomer.

The 2016 win was a huge impact, but wasnā€™t nearly the long shot that 2019 against OU has in store for us.

2 Likes

Few things:

-Coogs thrive as the underdog and most likely will try to shut up everyone not in scarlet red and albino white.

-Coogs will never have a game like Army again with CDH; his teams might be prone to shootouts, but his teams donā€™t quit!

Same game as in Lubbock last year, minus the choice to go fast, just because ā€œitā€™s what we doā€. CDHā€™s varying tempo will allow our offense to get into some advantageous situations.

We have a shot, new team. New year.

2 Likes

I second it Redā€¦oh, Davy of little Faithā€¦Gus Bus crash, eh?

I think Iā€™m firmly in the camp of ā€œIā€™m not optimistic, but anything can happen.ā€ The defense was atrocious last year even with a once in a generation player and the prospect of having up to 4 guys drafted. We lose that talent, but CMD was so bad that I honestly have no idea what kind of talent we actually have on the defense this year. Without really knowing anything about our new staff, I already feel more confident in their scheme and ability to spot and utilize talent. If we really donā€™t have any talent, itā€™s going to be a long, frustrating day in Norman. If we do have talent, our offense is good enough to pull off the major upset. All that to say, I donā€™t know enough about our defense (players or staff) to make a prediction for Week 1. Since no one (other than @red80 and @ddkately) is expecting us to win, I just hope we are competitive.

Hurts is a good QB that relies on his athleticism to scramble and beat you with his feet. Yes, he had a great record at Alabama but also had one of the best o-lines in the country and played in an entirely different offense that wore opponents down with a power running game. At OU heā€™ll be looked upon to pass more but will probably scramble plenty when heā€™s under pressure. The key is containment. He has a sting arm but I think heā€™s less accurate than King. Iā€™d take King over Hurts any day of the week.

6 Likes

Heck, if we can just tackle it will be a VAST improvement over the last couple of years!

11 Likes

If Army could go in there and almost beat OU last year, Coogs have a legitimate shot at winning the game. Plus, OU beat them in overtime. I believe that the Army game last year in the bowl game was an anomaly for the Coogs, and the coaching staff and team sensed that it was the end of the road for AppleBitter. No one has a clue what this team is going to be like in September with the Hulk at the Helm.

1 Like

I think Army showed us how and why they were able to go into Norman and play the Sooners tough.
If I read it right, coach DH has never beaten OU as a head coach.
You can bet I will be listening or watching if possible, but my expectations are not very high at this moment. As long as we can keep King healthy, however, no one should takes us lightly.
Go Coogsā€¦

Stoops was still the DC when they played Army.

Him and Denofrio were both BAD !!

A couple of things to consider:
Yes, CDH has never beaten OU; but their coach has never beaten UH either.

Hurts is a poor manā€™s version of King ā€” when surrounded by the Alabama all-5* line; but OU isnā€™t Alabama and Riley isnā€™t Saban.

CDH didnā€™t have King or anyone like him at WV.

3 Likes