OU to B1G?

Big20 with us in a pod with UT, OU, KU, and Nebraska is my ultimate pipe dream.

1 Like

I know the B1G presidents are about academia but once they see how much adding the right school(s) would bring in, they would find excuses for non statehood borders and possibly non AAU. I think they could select a non AAU school if it fits in with their academic consortiums and organizations.

Well I guess we have to wait and see.

2 Likes

Interesting…this now has a UH slant as the plaintiff in a class action lawsuit against OU alleges the following:

https://legalnewsline.com/stories/512610025-a-lawsuit-says-university-of-oklahoma-skewed-numbers-to-attain-better-u-s-news-world-report-ranking

*The plaintiff alleges the university failed to disclose that the six-year graduation rate was 66 percent or issues about the transferability of credits to other universities and colleges. The plaintiff alleges when she transferred from the defendant university to the University of Houston, it did not accept any of the plaintiff’s 46 completed credits from the University of Oklahoma.

The suit states the University of Oklahoma told U.S. News in 2018 it inflated its data regarding alumni giving since 1999, which affects its placement on school rankings and lists. It is alleged that the university misrepresented to U.S. News and other ranking services that its programs had qualifications, benefits and characteristics they did not have.

The plaintiff alleges the university was unjustly enriched by its allegedly wrongful acts and conduct and she and class members have been harmed.

3 Likes

I saw this and literally laughed out loud…OU can claim all sorts of things. Academic Prowess certainly should not be one of them. Sadly, and in general, we are regularly treated with individuals and institutions who claim falsehoods, and if they scream it loud enough and often enough, a lot of people are convinced of their mad ravings.
We blow away OU in Academics, period. If the Big were to take OU over UH, they would be discarding their vaunted academic standards. I’m not saying they won’t do that anyway, but they would be swallowing that cud.

2 Likes

OMG! This is a serious embarrassment to OU. That OU degree is nothing but toilet paper.

I cannot see the B1G asking them to join now since OU’s academics are %@^$%*. They will probably go to the SEC where their academics and athletics fit better.

4 Likes

This is so funny

7 Likes

Academics are important enough to B1G to put Houston in a better position than OU when in comes to B1G expansion in 2023.We are also in a major market in Texas, a state the B1G is very desirous of gaining. Our prez is a Purdue grad and i am sure has valuable connections with B1G presidents. Our chances are better than many realize. There is a reason we were mentioned by some of those pundits with B1G connections. By 2023, we could be ideal candidate for membership with them.

4 Likes

Just to highlight the importance that AAU places on academics, might want to look at this article on the impact of academic standards on Syracuse and Nebraska:

Out of the Club

The real money that matters to AAU institutions is tied to research, not athletics. Ryon’s examples of eastward and westward expansion says it all – certainly in today’s timetable.

Whether the addition of a medical school for UH might help in the future is probably contingent on the type of research dollars the school can attract. But that certainly wouldn’t help us in the near term so long as one key criterion remains AAU status.

3 Likes

I think this is terrible news for UH and its chances of ever being invited into the BIG. If OU is eliminated from consideration, there is then no way for the BIG to retain its requirement for all members to be in contiguous states if they are to get into the state of Texas!

1 Like

All your story shows is how biased the AAU is and how they unfairly keep some schools out. Nebraska is no longer a member. B1G supports Nebraska…We dont NEED AAU membership to get a bid to B1G, though it would be a plus to have it… Our academic excellence stands on its own merit, and its only going to get better and more prestigious by 2023. .

3 Likes

I thought one way into AAU status was an invite from an existing AAU member. Couldn’t they decide decide to invite us to be a member and join their conference at the same time? 2 :eagle: W/ 1 stone.
#GoCoogs!

1 Like

Where is it in writing that the B1G has a requirement that all its territory must be continuous? Which B1G official has said that? I would like to read that article.

If there is no documentation on that alleged requirement, I will ignore such allegations.

I don’t think there is a requirement of a AAU status either. Just because that’s the way it has been doesn’t mean it will always be that way.

If UT is willing to give up the LHN and want in to the B1G, I’m pretty sure the B1G will not say no and the state of Texas will become a big island in B1G country.

1 Like

It’s an unwritten historical trend.

Let’s just say that if what a lot of people here want to happen did happen, it would be TOTALLY unprecedented and out of character for the B1G.

Can’t say it won’t happen, but history suggests that it’s improbable.

Note: PROUD B1G alum here (Master’s degree from Illinois).

2 Likes

I agree that if the B1G were to ever put their historical expansion only into areas adjacent to their existing geographical footprint aside, and decided to venture into TX, then UT would indeed likely be that “island.”

They are the school in TX that best fits the B1G “profile” (state flagship, AAU member).

2 Likes

Do you think Texas is just going to give up the LHN, which would be required to join B1G and become part of the B1G network? Texas is likely their first choice, but Texas would have to make major changes and concessions to fit the mold. That is not the longhorn way…but perhaps they will change. .If Kansas is added along with a Texas school, only a tiny sliver of Oklahoma prevents Texas from being a contiguous state. Close enough i think, considering our states potential value to B1G…
B1G is unpredictable…Pretty sure NO ONE saw Rutgers and Maryland coming…

1 Like

I have said for years now that we have a legitimate shot at the Big and the PAC…
I would be thrilled with either. I have faith that our unbelievable leadership has been working overtime along both lines.
One thought caught my eye above, a suggestion that Texas could give up the LHN.
Aside from breach of contract, etc, at the minimum, they would have to GIVE THE MONEY BACK…about $330 MM if memory serves…this will never happen in a million years. I still think those narcissistic bums crave Independent status in the long term. They view themselves as ND equals, above all other mortals…IMHO.

1 Like

I’d say that we have a better chance at the PAC than the B1G, for reasons I’ve already articulated.

3 Likes

As Ryon previously posted there are strong ACC candidates in coastal states who are AAU members. The B10 already has flyover states who are losing population (which describes every state in B12 country except Texas) covered. As they did with Rutgers and Maryland they will continue down the east coast if they expand IMO.

Big picture if the SEC or B10 expand they will do so with current P5 schools. As the main 2 blue blood conferences they have that luxury and will take it. That leaves openings for us in the other 3 possibly. Like last time we will be in the middle of the dominoes, hopefully on the sunny side of the tracks this time.

1 Like

seems to me that the SEC and Big12 are the only p5 conferences that UH could possibly go to, due to geography…no other p5 conference is nearby…
and those 2 conferences do not seem receptive to UH…the only way UH could get into one of them is if the Big12 broke up, and UT left…which would then allow UH to get into the Big12…UT could really only go to the SEC, due to geography…which is not an implausible fit. I don’t know why UT would do that, though…but if UT and OU went to the SEC, that would allow UH to get in, along with one other school, I guess…maybe SMU, I dunno

I have scanned these postings and found NO INDICATIONS nor PROOF that the B1G is the least bit interested in inviting OU to their conference … also scanned the internet and haven’t found any rags from any towns in Okla … Broken Arrow … Crooked Arrow … No Bows … watevar pohdunk okie town … not even the windmills/watermills off the interstates are advertising the B1G as a move for the sooners …

5 Likes