Our 2020 Roster

For starters. Hornsby was formally the #1 DT in the country; his recruiting rankings (just like Caesar and any other of our 4 star recruits) took a hit when he decided to narrow it down and we were in the mix, which brings me to my next point. We are in Hornsby’s final 2 with FSU! Your information is old. Next, these two are going to be a packaged deal, with playing on the same team and taking OV’s to the exact same schools. If we sign one, we have a great chance of signing both.

Third, no we don’t know who the other teams are getting, that’s true. However, we know what we have coming back, and that’s enough to challenge for the conference (I’m willing to debate that if need be); now add in two guys who have that “it” factor like Ed Oliver and, yes we would run through the conference because no other team in this conference will have comparable talent, for that long, at those two positions. Correct me if I’m wrong, but no team in the AAC has ever signed the #6 ranked DT QB and the #7 ranked APB in the same class before. You can win a game with one game-changer alone, and we will have two on offense!

2 Likes

I’m not familiar with Hornsby and Achane. It sounds like they are talented plug and play guys. What is their interest in UofH? Are they verbally committed to a school? Also, what is their relationship to each other that makes them a package deal?

Please and thank you.

1 Like

https://247sports.com/Player/Malik-Hornsby-46037405/

https://247sports.com/Player/Devon-Achane-46049139/

No problem friend.
They both aren’t verbally committed to any school at the moment (at least not officially out in the open). I’d imagine they’re interested in UH to have the option to stay home for the most part. I have no idea what other pitches CDH has made other than, it’s the Air Raid, and we like to score points. lol

Hornsby has narrowed it down to his top 2 between the Coogs and FSU. This of course isn’t final, but I was explaining to Mike that we are very well in the mix. He is still taking official visits to Maryland, FSU, and Purdue. The good news is he has yet to take an official visit (to my knowledge) to view the facilities on Cullen. The bad news is there is a purple and gold school in Louisiana making a real push to get him on campus. Hornsby originally committed to Mack Brown, and I’m sure he was given the “you’re going to be the next Vince Young” blah blah blah speech. Soon after changing his mind and putting the Coogs in his final two, his rating dropped.

Both of these guys are the real deal, and even at #6 Hornsby is better than that ranking. Ed was a game-changer playing with a lackluster coaching staff. Imagine if coach Jones and CDH get both, if not one of these guys on Cullen.

Edit: Sorry. Forgot to mention that they both play on Marshall. HS teammates go to different colleges all the time but there is a trend with their OV’s that COULD make them a packaged deal if we land one of them.

Who are our biggest targets to complete 2020 recruiting besides these 2?

I’m not real familiar with recruiting sites but looking at their pages it doesn’t say anything to give me a reason to think either is coming here. Hornsby is cool on us and it predicts with 100% Achane is going to the ags.

I for one want to know how the heck are we not in the Top 3 in recruiting in our conference year in and year out? Legitimate question.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t put too much stock into the warm and cool aspect. Hornsby won’t make his announcement until February I believe, those CB’s could change. I don’t think we get Achane without Hornsby. But landing Malik would increase our chances with the other star.

Maybe Golightly, Nwankwo, and hanging on to Massoud. I really have no true idea about others.

Because although Houston is a talent hotbed, most of that talent is going to the SEC and other P5 conferences. Most Coog fans undervalue other national recruiting areas as inferior, but ratings services don’t. Talent is talent and potential is potential no matter where it is.

That leads Coog fans to believe that because UH is in Houston, we should be recruiting at a really high level. What really gets people going is telling them that Applewhite recruited on par with our historical levels. They don’t want to accept that as truth. Where Applewhite, and moreso Herman, screwed up is ignoring (purposefully or incidentally) certain position groups.

1 Like

He mentioned conference. There is enough talent on the Gulf Coast and in this state to have us in the top 3 in the conference every year. But then, there’s the recruiting services that should always be taken with a grain of salt. I always like to look at did we fill our needs and are those players any good. Everything else is an unnecessary worry.

Edit: Prime example: Baylor’s 2020 class is rated higher than any team in this conference and it consists of TX and Lousianna players. Now look at their average rating compared to ours.

The main difference is the recruiting services’ love of the P5.

3 Likes

Currently on 247 sports Malik Hornsby is listed as a 4 star QB – not a DT with Alabama, Auburn, Arkansas, UNC, and FSU as his top 5. Are we talking about the same Hornsby?

Edit: After reading your next post xsmith116, I deducted that your DT meant Dual Threat, not defensive tackle. But the 247 list I am looking at shows his top 5 as I have stated as of this minute.

Anyone claiming Apple recruited on a par with our historical levels is seriously clueless…He didnt REMOTELY recruit as well as Yeoman, Briles, Summie, Levine, Pardee or even Dimel! Apple recruited on par with Herman…no compliment at all, as Judas cared nothing for recruiting, knowing he was going to bail…
CDH is recruiting well, and has lined up terrific transfer talent, especially on defense, who will be a big help next year…His HS recruiting will be just fine, when signing day comes around…
It actually takes a little time to turn around a program as screwed up as ours was…This despite half wits who expect championships and 5 star recruits as soon as the new coach signs on the dotted line.

3 Likes

Apple Boy recruited…could have fooled me !!

1 Like

OK Monte; I may predict an undefeated season every year, but it doesn’t mean I actually expect it. Does that make me a 7/8 wit, or at least a 3/4 wit? As far as recruits, I am all for the ones we sign; the others don’t matter – regardless of stars.

2 Likes

This is just a list in no particular order.

This is the last thing he released regarding order.

1 Like

That was in Sept. This is a minute ago.
Malik Hornsby

Malik HornsbyFort Bend Marshall (Missouri City, TX)

6-2 / 175 0.9203 206 6 33

Cool+23 others
DUAL

TOP FIVE CHOICES

• 37% North Carolina

Cool * 0% Florida State Warm * 0%

Alabama Cool * 0%

Arizona Cool * 0%

Arkansas Cool

Of course, there is a distinct possibilty that that site isn’t up to date. Bottom line, let me know when he committs; make that when he signs since he has already committed to aTm and UNC and decommitted as well.

What site is that?

TOS

1 Like

Not familiar with it, but good info nonetheless. I really hope we can land this kid.

Red 80 Mike, NO…i wasnt talking about you!! Posters like me and you expect to win because we are just more optimistic than most… I was talking about the complainers who EXPECT all that but never bother to say so on line…
We have people on the board who do nothing but complain every day…about every possible little thing, and if we dont go 12-0, there they are, whining like babies about what ever…THEY were my target audience and they know who they are…

Duarte was saying he didn’t think it was a big concern, considering the new coaching staff and the traditional signing day is down the road. Personally, I want quality over quantity. A few nice JUCOs would be nice. We’re already heavy on under-developed players. Would it be too much to ask for a couple of Juco O-linemen?