Our Defense

Looks about like the last 2 years. Passive and predictable

2 Likes

Zero pass rush

1 Like

ANYTHING but, ritz…congrats for dumbest post of the year…we do things to cover for a myriad of weaknesses thanks to poor recruiting last several years, and hang in there well, considering…Leach wouldve put 60 on the Dorito clown circus from previous 2 years…
We were the first team in over a year to actually sack their QB good job, Anineh…and we also forced him to run 3 different times for 1 Yd, 1 yd, and 0 yds…Dont count as a sack, but they got nothing…

6 Likes

It’s hard to evaluate our D (ok, we know we’re short in the backfield…also LBs in my opinion) when playing against a passing offense like last night. There’s nothing like it in the country. Now this week vs. TU’s option, that will tell us more about our D imho.

4 Likes

Awful.

Our defense has been fine, for the most part. Sure it got shredded by OU, but they’re the best offense in the country. Our defense played well enough to win the game tonight. They got some timely stops, and a pick in the end zone. Washington State lead the country in passing last year, so of course they’re gonna get yards. For once, it was our offense that dropped the ball and left the D hanging as opposed to vice versa.

5 Likes

Defense showed marked improvements but it is also obvious what the deficiencies are. In my opinion, we need more speed and smarter play.

I do expect they will continue to get better. I am concerned about the offense. A lot of the issues there seems to be Holgorsen’s playcalling and lack of fluidity on that front.

2 Likes

Everyone should pay attention to how many teams hold WSU to 7 points in a half or 31 points total. D played better than I thought they would.

10 Likes

It is clear that we are getting much better on Defense. No, we are not good, but better given our talent. Coaching counts.
We spotted them 2 turnovers and 10 points, so I will take the positives…

3 Likes

Defense isn’t the problem. When will you make an “our offense” post? It sucks right now.

1 Like

The defense is playing better than I thought the would.

3 Likes

People have not been paying attention to Tulane. They do not run pure spread option any more. Fritz brought in an air raid guy and they are scoring in bunches. This will be a tough conference game, especially on the road with a short week.

4 Likes

It’s still early in the season.

2 Likes

Aldine. Game stats show Gordon ran 7 times with 29 yards gained and 13 yards for loss, net 16. Longest gain was 10. We had a sack for decent loss. The problem I had with our pass rush, virtually no pressure except for a few times. QB stood back like a statue waiting for receivers to get open or he just passed to the outlet back.

4 Likes

Their QB had light years to find his receivers

3 Likes

Definitely a talent issue this year. Definitely not a dumb post either. The defense was passive, probably by design because the coaches don’t trust the secondary.

2 Likes

Just watched BYU defeat USC. The Cougars played a 3 man DL just like we did.

1 Like

true enough 74…we had a number of plays where we rushed 3 and dropped back 8 trying to cover those receivers…Our pass defense was outmanned except for Williams and just needed all help it could get against Leach and WSU…

At times I thought No D was calling the pass coverage.

1 Like

We were NOT passive, Matt…Passive is an attitude that implies timidity…Playing 10 yrds off receivers and letting them catch passes all day and hardly making a tackle…THATS passive…You want an example of passivity?? Take a look at that disgraceful Tech game from last year…THAT was passive…We had serious disadvantages in speed, talent and ability compared with WSU receiver corp, but we played hard, blasted their receivers a number of times with big hits, intercepted a pass and dropped 2 others…WSU had 5 possessions in first half and scored once…ONCE…Nothing passive about that…we did best we could with what we had…of course the QB had all day many times…we dropped everybody back into pass coverage…what do yall expect??? …

8 Likes