PAC 12 football returning sooner than later

States have lifted restrictions on college football but waiting on counties to approve.

“The Pac-12 welcomes today’s statements … that state health officials will allow for contact practice and return to competition and that there are no state restrictions on our ability to play sports in light of our adherence to strict health and safety protocols and stringent testing requirements,” the conference said Wednesday afternoon.

“Our California and Oregon universities will now each individually reach out to their relevant county public health officials to achieve clarification on what is required to receive the same clearance to resume contact practice and competition.”

FOMO

Will the MWC and MAC be the only ones left playing in the spring?

The MWC is looking into coming back this Fall.

Timeline of cancellations (didn’t check all conferences, sorry):

Jul 08 Ivy
Jul 16 MEAC
Aug 08 MAC
Aug 10 MWC
Aug 11 B1G / PAC12

Only my opinion, but I think the PAC and B1G assumed everyone would not be playing and they would lead the way for the P5. When the SEC and ACC charged ahead, the dominoes started falling for reconsidering playing in the Fall.

I didn’t realize that the MWC was also now reconsidering their decision. It’s strange because it doesn’t feel like anything has changed other than some conferences decided to go with their seasons with modifications. I was looking forward to the AAC champ having a better chance at the CFP but that is out the window now with the B1G back in the picture.

3 Likes

Me too…i thought this was the best chance to get the AAC into the play offs.

It feels like that old comedy bit where they are all in agreement and then are the only ones to step forward when it was time to step forward, while everyone else takes a step back, leaving them out on an island.

It was surreal last weekend when the rankings came out and all the PAC and BIG teams dropped out of the top 25.

Will they just get reinsert back? Or wait til they actually play?

My feeling, they don’t get ranked til they play but sports writers may not feel the same way.

2 Likes

How do you think this will affect the AAC school rankings? Currently, we have 3 top 25 schools including 2 top 15 rankings.

In my opinion most B1G schools aren’t great in football excluding tOSU and Michigan… But the CFP…

2 Likes

I feel the opposite. As soon as the decision is final for each, the writers will put them back in – the problem will be what to do with the idle B1G/PAC teams while other ranked teams are playing games and winning/losing.

2 Likes

I agree…the writers will put them back though they had not played a game. That doesn’t seem right.

1 Like

I re-read your last comment and now I understand. I feel the same way: you don’t get ranked until you play since you canceled and then reconsidered. But I can be petty at times so there is that.

These are the same writers that rank the same teams every year in the Preseason Top 25 with very little reason other than the name recognition.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1306423055040811008?s=03

Thanks…for sure wasn’t questioning the accuracy of your comment but I had not caught that update. However, I am still trying to get back into sports after the hiatus.

Great point Dave.
The networks are paying their bills/sports departments. We all know how many are financially healthy. This is a clear reminder that many of the ncaa Div I programs are this close from shutting down.
We also have to remember that these same schools or the vast majority of them are not privately owned.
How financially sound are they? This latest move tells me a few trees are hiding the forest.

1 Like

I know this: Akron Zips and Louisiana Lafayette will have to sacrifice their rankings for the mighty BIG and PAC teams in the rankings. AAC teams will all be pushed back so we can knock each other teams out. This sucks but is what is about to happen.

1 Like

And it seems wrong. Writers will place Ohio State back at #2 even though they will not play for a month at the expense of teams that will have played 4 or 5 games by then and might be undefeated. But they are marginalized due to conference affiliation.

1 Like

There are a lot of things wrong with college football, rankings and fairness.

What is clear is the marginalization of non P5 conferences.

1 Like

So much for proofreading, it should have read “Explores.”

Hawaii quarantines all tourists for two weeks, so I don’t see how they can play football and have teams travel in and be quarantined; or the Rainbow Warriors being quarantined after return from the mainland.

3 Likes

The CFP was created for the power 5 conferences only. Pandemic or no pandemic a G5 team will never play in the so called national championship.

G5 conference agreed to this when they negotiated for an at large NY6 spot plus some CFP revenue to offset not playing in the championship game.

Had the big10 failed to play in the fall , it would have been 2 SEC, a big12 team and an ACC team in CFP

2 Likes

This was dumb and our commissioer was there to do this. What they SHOYLD have done was taken it to court…but perhaps we would have lost anyway.

The problem, and the (likely implicit) threat, is that the P5 will simply leave the NCAA (or leave just for football) and start their own league.

There are no laws compelling their membership in the NCAA (unless a state law compels it–but I doubt that).

I don’t think antitrust laws are helpful. I see the NCAA as more of a club or a volunteer collective rather than a business that impinges on competition. The P5 can start its own club for football. And the rest can do the same.

So all of the have-nots, including UH, signed on to this setup. We get a few bones thrown our way and are told there’s always a chance we can make it in. But I think we know better. So we take the scraps and smile.

The difference between now and the time when the BCS was formed (was that the Bowl Alliance or something like that) was that you had a very powerful U.S. Senator (Orin Hatch, Utah) starting to take interest in the process. IMO, the only way to fix college football is with federal regulation. And I think that’s the biggest fear of and threat to the P5. So instead of leaving, they take most of the pie, give us a small slice, and the status quo remains.

JMHO.

1 Like