PAC 12 goes conf only; call ND

If the SEC follows suit, then we’ll both need a 9/12 game.

We’ll likely be AAC only, if at all. Notre Dame likely to be ACC only, if at all.

Games could start in October.

I wonder what happens to the BYU game

1 Like

I’d guess we can keep it if we want it. BYU is going to have to figure out a way to keep any kind of schedule. Not sure if the AAC will allow it though if they follow in conference only model.

Maybe BYU will partner with the AAC.

1 Like

What did Big 12 say?

Texas gets off EASY…not having to get their Lilly Arses kicked at Orgeron’s place…:smiley:
Pity.

2 Likes

The removal of non-conference games seems like a play to buy time. “Most” non-conference games are played the first three weeks of the season.

If there’s a big second Corona wave, the next step may be to move the season to the spring …IMO.

3 Likes

BYU can have a serious problem if everyone goes Conf only.

1 Like

I think ND will be included in the ACC schedules. According to one report, the ACC is considering 10 games seasons with teams playing home and home games with 5 teams.

Just saw on ESPN that the ACC is amicable about helping ND fill out its schedule.

BYU is another that has a problem since it has schedule 3 of its games with Pac12 and 2 with B1G teams.

This is the slow roll process of canceling the season, conference only does not significantly lower the chance of getting the RONA! I think they will cancel the season in about 2 weeks.

3 Likes

Highly unlikely the season gets cancelled and especially at this point in time. It will get delayed 1st and possibly multiple times before it ever gets cancelled. Way too much economic stress on the line to be cancelled.

I like this concept, especially if it means we can reel them into our conference. They would be a huge fish for the AAC.

2 Likes

So we say (at the American) conference only except BYU that defeats the whole purpose.

We say to BYU in or out and we appreciate if you would pay the entire admission fee up front.

The whole concept of conference only makes no sense. Do they think that the virus cares about affiliations.

Move the schedule to the Spring and let’s see what happens.

Let’s face it, the ivys are small and don’t play great football but they are real smart up there.

I’ve seen a couple of different angles for conference only. One is the conference can better control pandemic related issues. There are lots of things in this space (testing, capacity, distancing protocols, event/game coordination, etc.).

Also, it allows conferences to move up/back seasons to their liking by cutting out a month of the season. Same goes for moving to spring. It’s much easier to coordinate.

1 Like

Yeah, don’t get it why we can’t just move it to Spring. Certainly can’t be any worse than now and CFB has a big window to plan and execute. The revenue is just deferred. It may be less than a normal season, but would be at least as much as any truncated season without fans will be.

IMO, CFB pulls a more dedicated fan base than say MLB and the NBA, if competing for eyeballs is a huge concern about playing this Spring. Losing players to the NFL draft is a smaller risk for most schools than playing this Fall.

I can see the conference only perspective as beneficial. Provides flexibility in time. Either delay season start or possibly put in more bye weeks for scheduling flexibility to heal or make up games.

That said, I have a question, and didn’t want to create a whole new thread. Is canceling football season really that much safer in preventing the players from getting covid-19?
If the players don’t have football, are they going to sit at home or are they going to visit with their friends and teammates anyway, go out to eat and have house parties where they would be exposed to a larger variety of people than just teammates?

2 Likes

Probably not any safer for the players. It likely is safer for the coaches, administrators, fans, etc.

In any event, the schools have to consider liability and PR in their decisions. The question isn’t all about safety. It’s also about risk.

2 Likes

I hope its not cancelled, but to hear the SEC commish say he sees a high chance of spread of the Rona is not an endorsement of playing ball, hes gone from optimism to reality in his words.

Conferernce commissioners need to be careful how they communicate. They are employees of the member universities. They need to be viewed and lead that they are protecting the longterm interest of the conference and member universities. Meaning, exploring all alternatives to maximize a successful and healthy execution of their conferece sports programs. The last option on the list is cancelling all sports, or even the big one in football. Many of the sports should be able to execute, football is the most difficult and is the big one economically. They’ll go to a conference only, to delay it a month to 2 months first. Then maybe try a late fall / winter schedule, to a winter/spring, to a spring schedule. Football just makes up way to much of their economic engine to cancel it all together.

I agree with all you said, but the reality of this pandemic is setting in with all conferences, they cannot build a bubble big enough for these athletes, its like herding cats when they show up to campus and then to test and trace would require a Brigade of people to accomplish this.

1 Like