PAC needs the state of Texas (UH) BAD!

This is a football thread but our Basket ball Team can only help our cause. Can you imagine if we do get far in March? It is all bonus for our entire sports program. You combine it with Dana coming on board. This is a great time to be a Cougar and showcase the Cougar brand. One step at a time is the best way to go.

2 Likes

Track as well.

1 Like

If we add $$ to a conference, we will be invited. If we don’t add $$, we won’t. The B1G grabbed Rutgers because of their fan support? It was the carriage fees for the NY metro area.

Whether our teams are good or terrible won’t be the deciding factor in any conference expansion plans. Not complicated.

The state of Texas will be the prize for the lottery winner, ACC or PAC12 if those schools you mentioned go to B1G.

I think the ACC or PAC12 is going to swoop into Texas and grab a few schools mainly to get their conference network in millions of homes collecting millions $$ in cable subscription fees in addition to the eyeballs for the networks.

More than likely the remains of the B12 and American will merge to form a 14 or 16 team G5 conference.

New York add money but Houston does not, not trying to doubt you friend, but it this seem flawed
 Maybe NY and Research Ststus
??!

The United American Conference? Thinking what they would eve call that conference of leftovers.

1 Like

UT, OU and KU to the B1G?

I don’t see it happening.

UT has the credentials, but does not play nice with others. Can you see UT going into the B1G and pull the same kind of stunts they did in the SWC/Big XII? Not with schools like Michigan and Ohio state already there. Plus, I think Nebraska might cast a dissenting vote or have some not too nice things to say about the whorns

KU has the credentials to go, but really don’t add many TV sets (which is how Rutgers got invited.) I could still see them getting an invite

Academics are still very important to the B1G. Academically speaking, OU couldn’t spell AAU if you spotted them the A’s.

1 Like

That’s why they are perfect for the SEC

I wish it were that simple. It’s pretty well established that UH has a major impact on the Houston media market. And that’s playing the likes of UCONN and Temple. Playing a Big 12 schedule would magnify that significantly. Suddenly Iowa’s State vs K State would have relevance in Houston.

Oklahoma fans and supporters had their hair on fire at the mere thought of having to compete with UH for recruits in the Houston market. Bottom line is UT and OU will do almost anything to keep UH from succeeding. They don’t want UH to succeed.

But UH would add $$$ to the bottom line of ANY conference. In a rational world.

2 Likes

One can be tempted to look in every direction to find reasons we would be attractive to a conference which is expanding. However, bringing in money will be the reason. All the rest of the stuff is backfill to make the decision seem to be other than financial gain for the athletic departments. Academics? Nice. Research partnerships? Nice (but nobody was prevented from joint research with Rutgers before they got snapped up).

$$$ - If we can’t bring it in the currency of TV views, we won’t be invited. Going to the PAC would be great. They may have the lowest threshold of added value required to secure an invitation to join if only to add TVs east of Denver. But in the end, it is all about money.

We add TV sets, this is Houston. People wouldnt tune US out in ghe BIG, or PAC, or ACC. Big12 was scared of the recruiting, not the TV sets.

1 Like

1 Like

Well said. You have to put the Big 12 in a completely different category when talking about conference admission. They KNOW what UH can bring and that is the problem. They fear - and fear is the term - the competition from UH on a couple of levels. For UT, they know UH won’t just roll over at every whim they express. The TCUs of the world will kiss up to them. Hell, OU kisses up to them. But they know UH won’t. And in UT’s world that’s a deal-killer.

2 Likes

Damn! This thing’s going to hit 200. Someone pull the plug.

Damn Debbie Downer!! I guess the glass is always half empty for you! In a positive note, UH brings in bigger TV :tv: #s than 2/3s of the little twelve and that matters!

1 Like

Are those viewership numbers for our games still high when we suck? I really don’t know and welcome you to do the research. How are our TV ratings last year compared to Baylor, Kansas State, Iowa State, and Texas Tech?

Good question. Whenever TV ratings come up, people tend to cherrypick those ratings when their team is good.

THAT hardly matters; we don’t “suck” very often!

2 Likes

Say what??

Someone late last year posted our football team’s record since inception and our record is mediocre.

I can call off several years where we sucked. And many more years where we were close to sucking.

And even in our years when we didn’t quite suck on the field, think Levine and applewhite, we pretty much did as far as tv viewership.

1 Like

Except in the years of Dana Dimel, Tony Levine and even a couple seasons under Art Briles and Kevin Sumlin. Every one of those coaches had at least one season where the team wasn’t bowl eligible.