PAC needs the state of Texas (UH) BAD!

and just imagine what we would do on equal footing…we would be closer to Bama than Texas Tech …

1 Like

Couldn’t wait. Had to read your story. Glad I did. The article corrected my foggy memory. Thompson was president of the NCAA that year. Talk about a stacked deck. And the story was cautious about naming names but I’m not. The UT player who got his car financed was Ivey Suber. That was pretty well known at the time.

As for the UT players caught on the state payroll (a felony offense) the rest of the story not told is (according to my sources) they did have to repay the state all money paid to them. Do you really think any of that money came out of their pockets? The fact is the University of Texas’ athletic program stands today as one of the most crooked operations in American society. They got away with it for so long that today they barely have to bend (and not break) a rule to have things go their way.

The recent fiasco about building a campus in Houston is a perfect example. In an act of complete hubris UT proceeded without bothering to even attempt to get required legislative approval. In the past a legislature packed with UT alums and supporters would have buried the whole thing and UT-Houston would have already enrolled it’s freshman class and be accepting transfers. It’s no small measure of payback that little ol’ Cougar High stood up to and slapped down the Mighty Longhorns. And their 4-star President who has since moved on.

And if any other evidence is required of UT’s constant drive not for mere control but for complete dominance just ask Universities of Arkansas, Nebraska, Texas A&M, Missouri and Colorado. They were all able to stand on their own and tell UT where to stick it. When it came to finding replacements UT made damn sure TCU was chosen and not UH. They’ve had a belly full of Cougars. We bite back.

4 Likes

and Fight Back…we are not Rice!

1 Like

I wonder if UT would have followed thru on getting UH into the Big 12 if UT-H had been allowed. UT positioned itself in a no lose situation, or UH in a no win situation. In the end. call was made by UH supporters. And this is where we stand today.

The next hope is in 2025, although we’ll probably find out a couple of years earlier if there is any chance of UH making it into a power conference. The real risk is the PAC and Big 12 form some kind of cross-scheduling agreement or tier 3 partnership. That will basically leave the ACC as the only possibility.

You can be very sure that UT-Houston has not been defeated; it has just been put on “hold”! It will have to be “killed” over and over again.

The whorns hate us like nobody else, and they will do anything and everything in their power to keep us from succeeding. All of that hatred is based on their racial thinking; they hate us because we made them integrate all their sports. They have done so, of course; it was the only way they could keep up with us!

It is the same with all the other schools who were formerly in the SWC - and for the same reason. Racism is still alive and kicking in Texas. You would not believe the insults we had to bear when we integrated our sports, but I was there; and I do remember!

3 Likes

While I don’t doubt the history you refer to, I think for the UT of today it’s no longer about that history. It’s about “what’s in it for me?” Theyd agree to add any university to the Big 12 if that benefitted UT in anyway.

As many here have pointed out often, adding UH to the Big 12, only brings negatives for UT, so it’s not surprising that they do no support UH membership to the Big 12. If it ever became beneficial for UT to be conference partners with UH, they’ll make it happen.

That is the whole reason for eatemups post and why…

1 Like

It comes back to Texas politics. Everyone knows that having U of H in the small12 would be economically beneficial to the small12. There is a huge difference between economics and sports. How can you ignore the eighth largest media market? This is going to be especially true in the streaming world. Will you find more broadband usage in Houston or in Lubbock? This is valid for the entire small12 region with maybe the exception of the DFW area. Texas politicians are in the uta “tank”. When the next election/political round comes the U of H possible small12 inclusion should be front and center.
Since this is a PAC12 thread. Yes I would think that our regional location makes us an attractive “bridge” for the PAC12

Well I can think of one obvious reason it would be beneficial for UT to have us in the Big12 …

KEEP THE OTHER P5s BIGGIES out of Texas … especially SE Texas …

The aggies have already opened the gates to Bama LSU Florida Auburn to Texas recruiting grounds …

The horns DO NOT NEED UH to bring all the biggies from either the ACC or Pac12 or B1G into their backyard taking all the good recruits away … should any of these P5s decide to add UH to their numbers.

The horns may have to BITE THE BULLET and let UH in IF ONLY to keep more noles or wolverines or bruins out of the state and playing at TDECU every year … :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Alabama was already recruiting HOUSTON even before aTm joined the SEC.

Adding HOUSTON won’t help USC or Oregon recruit this area any more than they are already so the big 12 has no fear of letting another P5 into this area.

Uhhh … right!!! …

And finding gold in California and Alaska BACK WHEN didn’t help anyone back east and those native Californians and Alaskans didn’t have any worries about anyone invading their state and taking their wealth away …

They can afford to wait till it becomes clear that ACC or PAC want UH. UH tried playing that card with the PAC a couple of years ago and it blew up big time in our faces. At present there is no danger of either pac or ACC swooping in to add UH.

Also the Big 12 is already a major player in Houston. Their argument would probably be that adding UH will not bring incremental Houston market for the networks to justify paying the Big 12 even the pro rata increase, let alone additional money to increase the per program payout.

If the networks had been willing to offer the Big 12 enough money, UH would have been added. You need to see both sides of the coin. Yes UT maybe out to stonewall UH at every step, but the networks that sign the big checks aren’t exactly pushing for UH.

And forget about the wolverines being a threat. The only Texas program the Big 10 will add is UT.

And you know this to be true … because …

ITS ALL CONJECTURE and heresay and guessing … including moi’s posting

The Big12 is a major player in Houston ONLY ON TV … however Barcelona’s soccer team plays in Houston on TV or cable just as often …

playing here may come only once a year or twice in post season at NRG … otherwise neither UH or Rice or HBU play any Big12 team at their stadiums on a weekly basis …

And NO ONE knows who the B1G will add … the UT rumor has been circling the wagons for years now … as has Kansas … but who guessed the Maryland or Rutgers addition when it happened …

1 Like

I don’t know anything for sure. But it’s not a stretch to conclude that the networks were not willing to offer the Big 12 enough money to make it worth their while to add UH.

If ESPN had said “here is an extra $3M a year for each program” if the Big 12 adds UH, no matter how much UT may have still opposed it the remaining programs would supported UH. $3M a year in additional money is nothing to sneeze at.

Re Big 10, they expanded with AAU programs. True Nebraska is no longer an AAU member, but they were one when they joined the Big 10. I think UH not being an AAU member works against UH.

Not playing in Houston is no big deal. How many P5 conferences have multiple games in Houston every year? It’s not much of a handicap so far. Otherwise even if P5 programs we’re afraid of UH, they’d be scheduling Rice as often as possible.

I think 2025 is a huge milestone. If UH does not find itself in a P5 at that time… the future beyond that will be dark.

Well said but I think the racial issue may be slighted over stated because it was NOT our (UH) intention to intentionally break the “color barrier” it was our intention to bring a fine young man who played football into the University. Addressing racial injustice was a natural by product but not some progressive thought that the University of Houston originated.

What, in your view, constitutes a serious push?

And as moi has repeated … ad nauseum …

ONCE we go to 8 teams then 10 or 12 (with some byes) teams playoffs the P5s memberships will become moot …

The key will be getting into the WORST conference and becoming its champion … not the strongest …

$$$ will always be important and the SEC and B1G will remain one of the richest HOWEVER it is little consolation when they are both KILLER conferences with few survivors making it to the BIG ENCHILIDAD …

You seriously think that SEC and Big 10 will support any playoff expansion that will not guarantee a place to their champions? Or maybe even multiple teams from those conferences?

It’s a given that if the playoffs are expanded it will be done in a manner that benefits the power conferences the most. Going to 8, they most they may do for G5 is guarantee a place to the highest ranked G5 champion if it happens to be ranked in the top 8, or maybe top 10. That’s all.

1 Like

Yepp … I believe and THIS IS ONLY CONJECTURE …

That the P5s will NOT get to run away with establishing their own rules to an 8/10/12 teams playoff …

YES the top teams regardless of P5 or G5 will probably get a bye (once at 10 or 12) …

AND …

As they use to say in smokies … once you let the foxes in the hen houses … it “ain’t” easy to get 'em out …

Once the strongest G5s are let in the playoffs … it won’t be easy to keep them out or keep them from getting stronger every year …

I admire your optimism. I dont see things developing like this at all. But hey stranger things have happened.