PAC needs the state of Texas (UH) BAD!

GOD, deliver me from this kind of thinking!!! CUSA was in a much stronger position than Big East, when they were raided down to 5 schools years ago…and what happened?? Big East took who they wanted from OUR league, not other way around. We will NEVER take schools from Big 12…It will ALWAYS be the other way around…We dont NEED OU and Texas to have a great conference…Plenty of other terrific schools in Big 12 and natural rivals for us…The Big 12 is already P5! They are going to be able to take ANYONE they want any time they want from any G5 conference… as long as they are not raided into extinction by PAC B1G and SEC all at the same time…, they would survive because the system NEEDs them to survive.
OU and Texas and Kansas bail for B1G and ACC and PAC do nothing?? Then Big 12 turns around, adds Houston, Cincy, Memphis and the Florida schools…BOOM…Back to 12, looking strong and oh yeah, we crippled the American at same time…

Anybody that ignores our ratings is doing so with a purpose. U of H and UConn vs uta and Ok? Really?

Man that was 3 seasons ago. 1 year of great ratings don’t mean anything. Look at our ratings for the last 2 seasons and it’s quite sobering.
For UH to be taken seriously as a major media value provider we have to have the kind of ratings we had 3 years ago, over multiple years.

I agree that our ratings are as good as our attendance, in other words not good unless we are winning and exciting.

But UT will always be tops in Houston, our ratings the same day against UCONN being an outlier.

But we aren’t competing with UT. We are competing against ok st and Iowa st. I’m pretty confident our games the past two seasons of applesauce were probably not too much worse than those teams. And I’ll stick with that unless someone researched the tv ratings.

What I can see happening is the big dogs from Big XII leaving and the P5 becoming the P4. Take away UT, KU and OU, and you have the seven dwarfs. You end up with the SWC again with the remaining seven.

Where do they go? WVU, nobody else wants them. The ACC said thanks, but no thanks. ISU? Iowa will never allow them in the the B1G. KSU? Only success they have ever had was when Bill Snyder was their coach and he retired again. Baylor? Can you spell pariah? OkSt? Can they remain relevant without OU? TCU? Got in because of UT. I can’t see anyone else wanting them. TT might land on their feet somewhere, but probably has to be a package deal, maybe with us.

So what do they do? They try to raid the American and MW for schools. Think UH, UC, UCF, USF and Colorado State. I think CSU would be better than Memphis. The problem is, they would probably get half of what the Big XII gets now.

Might not be a bad conference. Would be the best of the G6 conferences, but would probably never be a P5 again. I would prefer to be in one of the P4 conferences.

Chill. And I mean that politely. It’s not the first time we’ve had good ratings. And that attitude is exactly what I’m trying to deal with. What the ratings do show is that when UH is good we will do very well in both attendance and in TV ratings. It’s the turnover in coaching that keeps setting us back.

Hopefully we’ve got that fixed now in both football and basketball. I don’t expect to hit that Holgorsen’s first year, especially opening with OU. But by year 2 we should be rolling. Our fan base has been through so much and still seems to bounce back. We just have to keep moving forward. CHIN UP!

3 Likes

Disagree on Memphis vs Colorado State. Memphis’ basketball alone puts them out front. And the Memphis football program is way out in front of CSU’s.

Were you asking or directing for the ‘Chill’ !
#Demanding

Well, one good thing came out of the posting. It received 780 impressions. Somebody was curious.

I agree, the future is bright. If we can sustain solid ratings for 3 years, I think that would be huge. Here’s hoping it happens.

If OU, Texas, and Kansas leave and the conference has no contract (which they wouldn’t) AAC would grab best of the rest and renegotiate their existing contract.

1 Like

Gadfly, the Houston MSA is bigger than half the states in the United States. If you have a large following in Houston, you are doing very well.

1 Like

Look at the title of this thread. It says the PAC12 needs Texas. How strong is the UH following outside the Houston MSA? Where 74% of the Texas population lives. The answer is not very strong.

The PAC 12 doesn’t need a geographic boundary of the state of Texas. It needs eyeballs in the central time zone. It needs brand recognition and growth in a rapidly growing area. Houston provides that.

4 Likes

I think (and I could be wrong) that the original poster was referring to UH more than the entire state of Texas; UH just so happens to be situated in the state of Texas; views should increase due to the large number of alumni from other PAC 12 schools in the state. Fans from other PAC 12 schools would tune in to watch UH, and vice versa. I don’t think the original point was to debate which state of Texas college has the largest support via television ratings.

The title of the post specifically says Texas with UH being in parentheses which implies that UH can help deliver Texas to the PAC.

I think we’re implying the same thing, correct?

Last time I checked, the Houston MSA would be the 18th most populous state in the US, if carved out of Texas…larger than any Big 12 state other than Texas, and larger than most SEC states.

(Btw, either the Texas state constitution or the annexation agreement - can’t remember which - reserves the right to divide Texas into as many as 5 separate states.)

1 Like

Treaty of Annexation.

1 Like

Certainly that would be an interesting scenario…the AAC grabbing Big 12 teams, but my worry is P5 competition, with PAC12, SEC and ACC trying to do same thing…I hope we get in on a move to an established P5 conference like PAC or ACC…

1 Like