Paul Finebaum: Oklahoma desperate to get out of the Big 12

We will “dominate” ut.

Now that is funny, not to mention delusional !!

If we ever dominated them we would be on lifetime probation !!

1 Like

If I were SEC, I would have invited OU and KU. SEC will be top for both football and basketball and also baseball.

What so funny about it? We get into the small12 with uta & I have no doubt that we will keep our best recruits in town and therefore crush them. In the current state of the small12 they can’t even dominate TCU.
You are exactly right they will then come crying to the ncaa and beg that we be put on probation. Sounds familiar?

I think you guys are selling TT short – they would brings dozens of TV sets to whatever conference gets them. They are very big in the least populated counties in Texas.

5 Likes

Someone on the reddit cfb page was trying to argue that UH was the fourth most popular school in Houston, Texas tech being on of the schools we would be behind. I almost laughed myself out of my chair. I get that a lot of UT and A&M grads are here but I don’t know anyone who likes tech.

2 Likes

New York Times had a map last year that displayed college fans by zip code. In the Houston city limits, Houston was 2nd behind UT in most zones. As you moved out, the Aggies inched ahead of Houston. In the outer zones, LSU did pass UH; nowhere was Tech even listed until you got out west.

I also go back to the survey that was done last year around election time where UH was the 3rd most liked college in the state

Texas leads the state in college sports loyalty with 26% to 16% for Texas A&M, 12% for Houston, 9% for Texas Tech, and 6% each for Baylor and Texas Christian

And if you go back to polls going back to 2011, Tech hasn’t been above UH in any of them and usually competes with TCU for 5th among state schools. Here’s a thread that references those polls: Public Policy Polling Poll shows UH as the 3rd most favorite school in Texas

Tech fans like to think they have a lot of support, but there has been no evidence that they do other than in very sparsely populated counties in West Texas or on College Football forums. Tech fans are also some of the most disliked fans on the internet.

5 Likes

Someone with a reddit account should go tag that guy with all this, he was even trying to say LSU was more popular in Houston, obviously that had no basis lol.

2 Likes

Lol someone already did! All is right in the world!

1 Like

Right you are…

Academic staff
981 (623 Full-time)
Students 10,394
Undergraduates 8,892
Postgraduates 1,502

The best thing that could possibly happen for UH in conference alignment would be for UT and OU to go to the B1G. It would leave UH + Tech as by far the best option for Pac-1X expansion into Texas.

1 Like

If we were going to be in p5 we would have been snatched up by now. It ain’t happening. We need to focus and be the best G5 program we can be. Which is great imho.

That’s what they effectively did by destroying the SWC and leaving us out of the Big 12.

There is part of me that agrees with this, but at the same time, we shouldn’t stop politicking and vying for a seat. Focusing on being the best G5 we can be means that we are the most attractive candidate if expansion comes calling, so that is a good goal, but I will never settle for where we are.

However, from a fan perspective, there are a lot of people who think we are a lot better than we really are. Here are some facts that come as ice water being poured down your shorts:

1. Conference Champions - 1984, 1996, 2006, 2015. Notice a pattern over the last several decades? We need to do better than one per decade.

2. Top 25 finishes - Since 2000 - 2011 and 2015.

3. Bowl record - Since 2000 - 4 wins and 7 losses.

3 Likes

More conference championships than TT who has 0. More top 10 finishes than TT who has 0. More major bowl wins than TT who has 0.

And TT is not even the worst P5 team out there. So unless you want to make the same argument for alot of P5 teams, don’t bother being so negative.

4 Likes

not to mention that since 2000 we have had 4 head coaches and 3 of them left us in the lurch for 3 b12 schools.

I’d rather stay in the AAC as is than the conference you put together.

OU isnt going anywhere on their own…Texas and OU are likely going somewhere together. likely the BIG…thats where the money is…whats happens after that is what is going to be SO interesting!

1 Like

Texas should just split like Aggy did. Don’t try to protect their mates on the way out.

I remember seeing that article and focusing all around the Houston area and recalling that it would have been great if UH could’ve at least carried its own zip code.

According to the NY Times map - Kudos needs to go out to UCF and Memphis for their hometown fan presence. Those schools have heavy competition from bigger, P5 name brands (UF, FSU, Miami & Tenn, Ole Miss, Arky and Bama) and yet those AAC schools managed to be the primary program for their respective markets. UConn did as well, but they’re the only state flagship school in the AAC.

Cincy has it tough, they didn’t even show up in the top 3 throughout the entire Cincy metro area. So it can always be worse.

1 Like

Ironically us and cincy are two of the top members of the AAC. Definitely hurts that Houston and cincy are such a destination to live for the grads of the other major schools in their respective states though.