Penalties, Turnovers & Non-Turnovers

Penalties killed us…especially holding call. Stupid push in the back on a fair catch. Illegal motions. King’s TD called back hurt. It was a hold, but I don’t think the guy would have had a real chance at him when the hold occurred. It started as a good block, and that was all that was needed. Did they change the rules for targeting? I know they called back a TD for WSU as well. But King’s ties the game. Refs were center stage.

First drive of the second half was a huge momentum killer. Instead of a chance to go up 14 we end up tied.
Fumble at 6 minute mark just about sealed the deal.

Nice INT before the end of the half. But good teams hold onto the INTs and Stuard’s was huge. He holds on and we tie the game. Instead we go down by 14.

The announcers glorified Gordon, but the reality is he had an INT and we dropped a couple others. Holding onto those potential TOs is how you win against that Offense.

Liking Holgorsen, but he has some projects.

8 Likes

I absolutely agree with you. The guy would not have got King, yet Singleton was still holding. Even when King was long gone. I was screaming at him to let him go. He never did, and we got the flag. Such a huge mental error by Singleton.

5 Likes

Our players probably have no idea what is holding and what isn’t at this point. Against Oklahoma nothing was considered a hold. Last night everything was a hold. Some consistency is all I’m asking for.

5 Likes

To your point, this is a huge problem in college football IMHO - conferences should not employ officials. There is a very clear difference in quality, and there is also a conflict of interests. I don’t understand why officials aren’t employed by the NCAA. What if the NFL had officials that were employed for each division? It makes no sense.

5 Likes

It was clear that the Pac 12 officiating crew was not going to make it easy on us. The called back touchdown was what broke our backs. I watched OU hold our guys all night and saw WGU do the same. WSU was chippy and chirpy all night long. Coach Yeoman used to say that you had to beat the other teams and the refs too. He was never more right.

9 Likes

They were very chippy & it was annoying to watch. Lots of shoving after plays, slapping the ball on tackles, lots of talking, but the refs just kinda let it slide.

2 Likes

That is a great point. In the OU game tackling a DL was legal. Tonight sneezing got you ten yards back.

1 Like

Pac 12 officials are plain bad, but equally bad for all involved. That offensive PI on our TD was sketchy as anything too.

1 Like