People complaining about hiring Applewhite

He was never coming here. Stoops decision wasn’t out of no where, he would have made it more clear if things got serious. Or worse for us, we let Riley have a low buyout and he leaves in the summer to go straight back to OU. I would have been for Miles, but I’m not sure he was really even that interested in the job.

The issue I see with Major is that similar to Levine, he couldn’t get good coordinators. Levine didn’t have the respect in the industry to get them, I hope that is not the case for Applewhite or we are screwed. This situation reminds me so much of when Garrett was promoted with the Cowboys. He stopped calling plays on offense and it took a big hit plus you lost a great defensive mind (Phillips) which made the defense take a hit. He was finally able to get good coordinators in, but is still a questionable leader and decision maker.

2 Likes

The Gunslinger will retire with his millions, get some coaching experience, and make this program rise like a phoenix one day.

4 Likes

Has Case ever said He would like to coach when his NFL career is over. Just wondering

There would have been a mass exodus of good people who are behind the scenes to leave the UH athletics department had Kiffin been hired. Maybe that doesn’t matter to some people, but some of the people we never see or hear about mean just as much to our student-athletes as a coach. It was also speculated that Les Miles showed up to the interview completely unprepared.

Just as I did with Levine, I really like Major and want him to be wildly successful here. But I don’t think anybody is satisfied with the current situation. I don’t have a candidate in mind right now and figure Applewhite gets at least another year. It appears UH will go 3/5 with recent football coaches, with the two big whiffs being the continuity hires.

He definitely has expressed an interest in coaching when his playing days are over. I think he’d make a great OC/QB coach and eventually a head coach. But I’m wondering if he wants to follow in his father’s footsteps and coach at the high school level. Time will tell!

Or if He sticks with a NFL team as backup may want to go the Kubiak route.

I’m just so happy for Case being in a good situation. I’m glad his coaching plans are on hold because of his NFL career.

Case may also be able to be an announcer when he finishes up. He’s a natural speaker and can be funny as well. He’ll have options when he’s done playing (which hopefully won’t be for awhile).

3 Likes

I’d take Jugular John for OC in a New York minute!

2 Likes

Love ya Red, but the Run and Shoot is dead. No one in D1 runs it anymore. Now i’d take the Air Raid back in a heart beat.

1 Like

He has let some people down big time that’s for sure.
Hope he gets six wins, still he has to clean house and replace virtually all coordinators starting with Dinofrio. 80 points allowed in two quarters . Yeesh.

D’Nofrio can go right after Johnson.

2 Likes

Wow…so we (the fans) have been the problem all along !!

WEAK !!

1 Like

We weren’t playing containment D against them. We were playing man for a majority of Memphis’ big plays. Memphis played rope-a-dope in the first half and came back firing deep balls in the second half and torched the same defensive back over and over.

Splitting the defenders and creating space is widely used today. The Patriots to name one NFL Team have many “evolved” Run and Shoot plays in their offense. The Run and Shoot is not dead it is still used at times (plays) with many different programs be College or pros.Here is an interesting video on combining the Run and Shoot and the Air Raid.

I would take John Jenkins above many other OC’s Coaching today. Would he want to come back as an advisor? Who the heck knows. I sure would pick up the phone and get his opinion. It would not hurt. He is viewed as someone that scored a ton a points on “small Teams” and “pissed off” a lot of people.

Here is a great Mouse Davis videos

5 Likes

INo doubt the truth, Lawfog. There were so many qualified candidates but the search was limited a handful if misfits.

Why not consider a proven HC line Willie Fritz, for example. He’s a proven winner with an exciting brand of football. Sadly, I think will continue to slide as Tulane ascends past us.

Love this post. Great stuff.

Personally, if we part ways with Applewhite (which I do not agree with), we should take a look up at Seth Littrell up at North Texas. His OC is Graham Harrell and they just upset UTSA.

1 Like

People don’t support Applewhite because he played at Texas. That’s dumb.

I’m sure JJ could run a different O than the Run and Shoot.
But he may not have the fire anymore.
Sure would be great to have an Air Raid with some team speed. I don’t care if our WRs top out at 5’9" if they are running 4.3.

I loved watching us play OSU and PSU. They would come out in man coverage on the first couple drives and we set them in 14 point holes.

Plus, you are NEVER out of a game. I thought the Sumlin/Case team was the best. Try to win TO margin and score a ton of points and make thE clock the other guy’s problem.

1 Like

Thank you Shasta. The biggest misconception is to believe that the Run and Shoot is dead. It is not.Teams might not use the entire concept but every NFL or College Team is using plays/variations from it. It changed the NFL offensive “mindset” for ever.

1 Like