Perspective

Two years ago, we lost to Drexel. Anyone remember? BYU is no Drexel, I can assure you.

Last year, even though we started out as well as we did, we were very fortunate to beat Utah State, UTRGV, LSU, and Saint Louis. I think we had double digit deficits in all those games but UTRGV. We also had a really sloppy game against a bad Rice team.

My point is - despite the record last year, we didn’t really start clicking as a basketball team until conference season. Same with the year before.

This team isn’t good defensively now but it will be great defensively by year’s end, as we have all the tools to be a great defensive team. We just experienced a few break downs this evening.

Losing that game really, really hurt. Last year, we were fortunate to win some of those close, early games. You could say it was senior leadership, but sometimes it can come down to luck. The way we lost at the end was pretty unlucky.

19 Likes

I agree with most of what you said except I thought our D played pretty well overall. They burned us on a bunch of 3’s from downtown, I mean like 5 to 10 feet beyond the arc. Who expects anyone to consistently hit those. BYU just played really well tonight, if we meet again, we will take them down.

So far everything is pretty much as CKS warned us about – like not being a 3 point shooting team. If you haven’t watched CKS’s post game presser, I suggest you do. It puts everything in true perspective. I am just as confident in our team for this year as I ever was. Just wait and see how we are playing in January.

7 Likes

Their is gonna be growing pains…tech last year had a stretch where they lost 3 games in a row in conference
Well be fine come March!

2 Likes

This is a young team and we don’t have the 3pt shooting we did last year so its a work in progress. Its also game 2 so back up off the ledge we weren’t going undefeated.

5 Likes

He did do a very good job of breaking things down in his presser. I enjoy listening to his perspectives on the various guys.

6 Likes

This is the type of team that will have some losses as they grow and learn, but by the end of the year when we get into the tourney, watch out! I’m really excited to see them progress this season. We’re very young and very talented. Co Coogs.

2 Likes

This team is going to be about where we end the season, not where we start it. They need a couple of more games to start clicking.

1 Like

It was a dogfight like I recall from the last few years. Not every team is even capable of playing that kind of game with us. We will benefit from that one and it will serve to galvanize us for the next three years with this crew as it evolves.

We have some great weapons that will only get better. BYU won the game only with a seasoned senior. I don not expect they could do it again this year.

1 Like