Pete Thamel is the wrong end of a Horse

But he wrote a pretty good article.

Did he apologize for the “clown-show” article?

4 Likes

I read this article and just see a “what big time program is about to poach him?” theme. Heck, there is even a mention of Kellen leaving! He can’t even be bothered to drop an “according to sources”.

TAMU job makes logical sense?!? How so Petey?!? Facilities? History? That is pulled straight from Thamel’s wrong end of a horse!

Not a single mention of what the school has done to enable coach to flourish.

Don’t bother clicking. Same stuff different sport from Thamel.

7 Likes

Pray, I agree he is the west end of an east bound horse and hates the University of Houston.

3 Likes

i thought the same thing…assuming cks could be poached by the nba or kellen would be looking somewhere else…
I am sure he is right that they will be mentioned in coaching searches but I don’t think they will be leaving for another school in search of a better landing spot…this isn’t football

i would throw this out there…is kellen ready ? is the scenario dad steps down and son takes over?
should kellen stay here…should he go from asst uh coach to head coach?
would it make more sense to send him out to another head coaching job now to get him head coach experience …and then bring him back when cks is ready to retire?
will cks leave for an nba head coach job if he thinks Kellen is ready…or will he have a transition year where Kellen runs things while he slowly steps into the background ?

inquiring minds want to know

2 Likes

I get it if Kellen gets an offer to be a head coach and he accepts, but believing that Kelvin Sampson would leave for a job at another school is just plain lunacy. He has everything that he asked for coming into the program 5 years ago, and he is in the top ten. He has a chip on his shoulder so big that all he wants to do is prove that he can win a national title and what better place than to do it right here where he took a total dumpster fire of a program from the burning ashes to where it is now. I will admit I never thought he could bring this program back, but after watching him the past (2) years, I am a believer and one that is long term.

6 Likes

I don’t honor these kind of shills by clicking their trash. Here is a better article.

March Madness NCAA tournament bracketology: 3 most underrated teams

3 Likes

Kelvin wants to be close to Kellen, Lauren, and his grand daughter. I doubt Kelvin wants Kellen to leave and take a job somewhere else and not be able to see him.

Don’t know what he wants, though. Last season he said he wanted to work another 8-10 years. In the off-season he interviewed for the Orlando job. Now there’s questions about his contract and how Kellen fits into it.

I think it all gets worked out, but, just in case it doesnt, enjoy the journey because you just never know when a season like this will happen again.

4 Likes

If (and it’s a big if) Kelvin is thinking towards retirement, I’d like to see him start slowly handing over the reins to Kellen. He can start by essentially letting Kellen be the de facto head coach for practices and certain games (like Coppin State or Tulane). Just switch seats. Let Kellen call the time outs and plays with Kelvin playing the assistant coach role. He can always take his seat back if things start going poorly. That way Kellen gets great OTJ training with one heck of a safety net and we don’t have to worry about him being slotted into a job he’s not ready for yet. What better way to learn!

3 Likes

The new contract that Sampson has earned is very important.

UH went all out for Holgerson. Sampson deserves the same.

7 Likes

Yup. Kelvin Sampson basically said it outright in the article:

The questions over Sampson’s past could end up being rehashed if he emerges as a candidate for a high-end job this spring. He’s been mentioned at UCLA, and there’s also a potential opening at Texas A&M that would make logical sense. Part of Sampson’s happiness and contentment are rooted in his family. His son, Kellen, is his top assistant and is beginning to get traction for head-coaching jobs. His daughter, Lauren, works with the program as the director of external operations. He’s a grandfather now, thrilled to have his family together.

“This is the best job I’ve ever had,” Sampson said. “I really thought about Orlando [last year], but I had a hard time messing with happy. I haven’t sat down and talked with Houston yet about this deal. I want to see what their attitude is before I do anything.”

1 Like

Don’t read the “reactions” to this piece.

Could CKS and family already be thinking about what next move is? Maybe. I wouldn’t know. I’m enjoying the ride and can’t wait to find out what our Coogs do in March! I know anything can happen and coaches leave seemingly good situations. I have learned to accept that.

Just this guy Thamel seems to have an agenda and is once again reminding the world that UH is an obvious stepping stone. Top 10? High seed? Rebirth of historic program? No interest for ol’ Petey. Quick google search doesn’t turn up CKS name on USA Today or SBNation list of UCLA candidates. TAMU isn’t even open yet if at all. Not like he is quoting a single source that says any of the Sampson’s are actually candidates for any specific opening. Just an attempt to remind the “clown show” that they are small potatoes. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I shouldn’t care about this guy but I can’t help but dislike him, lol. I’m so far from a conspiracy theorist too, if you knew me.

CKS blew off the NBA to stay here so it would be pretty shocking if he left for something like UCLA or A&M unless we really just weren’t going to pay him anywhere close to what other schools would and he feels disrespected. However, of all college jobs that might open next year, the one that actually kind of worries me a little is Wake Forest.

We have the facilities and now the fan support and a direct line to a final four. Why would you go any place other than Kentucky or Duke? Remember he did the blue blood thing at Indiana.

1 Like

The pressure at blue blood basketball schools is ungodly. The person who replaces Coach K after he retires/passes will likely not survive 3 seasons.

3 Likes

Us Coog fans are so paranoid. We get success and ones of the first things people talk about is how is going to sc**w us. Why are we giving any thought and time to someone who clearly has an anti-UH bias? Sampson will get an extension at the end of the season. He has just got the program into a position where we can get into the tournament. He has depth at UH and actual shot at a championship. At his age, it would make no sense for him to uproot and move. His whole family is here including his new granddaughter. He likes Houston and is not going to move for a job at Wake Forest

But are we paranoid enough?

2 Likes

Is it wrong if I don’t click the link and assume it’s crap because I don’t want to give any of his stories “hits?”

2 Likes

I didn’t click for that exact reason.