Pete Thamel is the wrong end of a Horse

Hmm…do Kelvin and Lyin’ Tom have the same agent?

I think the difference is that Kelvin can win a national championship here. Kelvin has also been at Indiana.He has one legacy left in him and resurrecting Houston back to a national power is a pretty good final act.

But I am also conditioned to brace for anything. It is his life and career.

Go Coogs.

7 Likes

This article isn’t a whole lot better. He doesn’t even mention UCF or Temple as bubble teams but lists UConn & Memphis as on life support? Lazy reporting.

2 Likes

Yea…Memphis and Uconn have two of the Top 10 recruiting classes in the country and they’re on life support. We should all be so lucky to lie on that gurney.

3 Likes

Part of CKS new contract should be to name Kellen HC in waiting like other teams do.

I doubt we’ll go cheap on CKS salary when we built a new arena and practice facility because of him.

Texas S&M making logical sense?!? In what f______ earth?!? What a total crock of crap. I agree with other posters. This is a non issue unless we make it one.

1 Like

Nope. I refuse to give him clicks anymore or follow him on twitter or any social media program.

4 Likes

Yeah. That really was nonsense. You can make a strong case that this is a better gig than A&M right now. You never know what someone is going to do, but it would be very, very surprising for CKS to leave what he’s built here just to go to A&M unless it was over money (and I’m guessing Uncle Tilman would not let the Aggies outbid him) or I guess maybe Kellen’s future (and A&M is unlikely to do more there than we would).

One helpful nugget I did pick up from another Thamel (yuck) column about the potential carousel is that Wake Forest would owe Manning $10 million if they fired him after the season, which is a lot for Wake to spend. I’m serious that Wake is the one non-NBA job that I wouldn’t be completely shocked to see CKS get offered and take. Root for them to do well!

But Pray is also right. CKS isn’t going to be here forever. This could be his last year or he might be here for 10+ more years, but it will end one day. Best to enjoy it and seasons like this one while we can.

1 Like

I think Tilman has grown weary of these cretinous institutions just taking people away from us at their leisure.

Under the circumstances, and at Kelvin’s age, I don’t see a huge risk in just giving him a lifetime contract with an option to promote his son to HC at a specified salary connected to yearly COL adjustments.

That is one very shrewd way of beating UT and ATM…because they wouldn’t do it. I mean Kelvin is not going to mail anything in. It’s not in his nature.

5 Likes

This is why when we talk about recruiting , I never look too far on who we have offer past 2020 class… Or two to three years down the line into the future of the program… I’m living in the moment right now of the current basketball team’s success and loving every minute. No way he would go to another college in Texas… Probably back at his hometown in North Carolina or NC St but at his age, Sampson is probably NBA or UH, and I wouldn’t be grudge him if he wants that and the paycheck of course.

The thing about Kellen could be for his son to have security down the line as well. If for some reason, Kelvin did decide to go to the NBA, then his son would replace him as coach in waiting; if not, if UH decided to go in a different direction, UH would have to pay a certain amount to Kellen. Sort of like a buyout.

I think the only reason Kelvin did wait until after this season to negotiate is for him to prove that both Sampsons’ can win and are interchangeble.

1 Like

I don’t think he has anything left to prove. He is a top 5 coach. Pay him what a top 5 coach gets paid.

I think we are trending towards a top 10 program.

2 Likes

Don’t see why he would leave. Legacy. Build your legacy.

3 Likes

Kelvin (and Karen) aren’t going anywhere that grandbaby is not in close proximity

4 Likes

It wouldn’t surprise me if he left but there are plenty of reasons to stay put. UH is lucky to have him and hopefully he finishes his career here.

Only place he may go would be NBA or blue blood like, Duke, Kentucky etc, if we take care of him I just don’t know why he would leave

I like the “Head Coach Kelvin for life or until he decides to hand it off to Kellen”, on the condition that Kelvin remains on as an Assistant.

CKS is 63 years old and committed recruiting violations at Indiana and Oklahoma. Not many colleges will take a chance on him. NBA is a different story.

1 Like

Exactly. Establish your legacy. And what is this talk about blue blood? We are a basketball blue blood! We’ve only been dormant for a few. :yum:

1 Like

Lol… of course they would in effort to win. Pitino, Calipari, Pearl, … go back to UT board to discuss how your team deserves at large bid despite being uninspiring average team of highly touted recruits.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/Aaron_Torres/status/1096599749841510402

4 Likes