Phi Slama Jama’ Invented the Art of Dunking

“Guy Lewis knew only one speed: go. The University of Houston Cougars head coach built his teams in the early 1980s based on this principle. They flew and ran and flashed their personalities, but most importantly, they slammed. Lewis’ Houston teams were the antithesis of John Wooden’s regimented UCLA teams that dominated college basketball in the the 60s and 70s…”

1 Like

I have it on good authority (via a well-made documentary) that Jackie Moon created the alley-oop.

6 Likes

lol “Love me sexy!” :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Let’s get tropical!

3 Likes

DON BOLDEBUCK WAS DUNKING IN 54-55 WHEN I STARTED UH.

3 Likes

Yes, he was; and he was coached by Alden Pasche, I think. Maybe he played on the same teams as Guy V. Lewis - memory gets a bit fuzzy with the years, alas.

2 Likes

Lyle Harger played for coach but I think Don played before that

1 Like

Believe Guy V was assistant to Coach Apache when Don played.

1 Like

Had coach Pasche for gym at UH

I wish he kept that philosophy against NC State throughout the entire game, if he did we would have won our first National Championship!

3 Likes

I am not sure this is true because George Reynolds in practice would dunk two balls on one jump. And the flying O(Ollie Taylor) made some great dunks. OT lived above the rim.

CGVL coached many of teams of various heights, speed or style. It all had to due with the makeup of talent of each team.

2 Likes