Places you miss from Houston past

Jamie’s is one of my all-time favorites. First time I ever ate tabouleh. First curly fries as well

1 Like

There was on a Richmond s well, I used to go there with a few football players that I hung around with.

Prince’s Drive Inn

1 Like

Just to name a few. Sorry if a few are still around.

Pig and Whistle: great venue for live music and best after hours tacos
The Astrodome: Saw Pink Floyd. With a couple of friends we went from the 2nd/3rd level to just about 20 feet from the stage, Genesis. Many U of H and Oilers games
The Summit: Saw The Police in 83 (their then last tour) U2, many other bands. The acoustic was great. Yes, many, many Rockets game. Once I was right behind the Lakers bench, took a B/W picture can’t find it but it was a good one.
The Coliseum: Saw Jerry Seinfeld once
The Skybar: Great live jazz
Sam’s Boat
6400/NRG
The Marquis
The Gallant Knight
Tumbleweed steak house on 1960
Greenspoint mall before it took a dive
Gerlands food store on 1960 before it closed down. I met the US gymnastic Team once while shopping.
Grundies on Kuykendall: I met ZZTop one night and about three times after that. Including Billy Gibons at Marrakech
Finger Furniture
Greenway theatre
The many Stop N’ Go
The Swordfish sandwich that Becks Prime used to have
The old Le Meridien Hotel, Best Restaurant in Houston at the time.

1 Like

That’s still there. I believe the Marquis is still there too but has had remodel.

How could I have missed the Gamblers?
Trader Vic’s is a good one too. What made Trader Vic’s special was the “clutter” island atmosphere. Instead they decided to clean it up. Result? The place looked like every other restaurant chain. It was closer to a Chilis than an original concept. The one at the Beverly Hilton lasted 62 years, remodeled…closed.

Two Pesos comes to mind. I always thought it was better than Taco Cabana.

4 Likes

Back in the day, Silver House was a pretty awesome place for a broke college student to get a lot of food for a little money.

2 Likes

Seeing blues acts at the Local Charm on Telephone. Tiny place but had some great shows…it was so small you almost felt like you were in the show.

…and Astroworld…rackin’ frakin’ can’t believe Six Flags destroyed that place and the Cities half assed effort to keep it was beyond disappointing.

1 Like

Loved that place. Funny thing we noticed there…When they called your number and you picked up your food…if you didn’t pick up their slip…they would sometimes remake the order. Got many free fajita natcho plates that way.

Agreed. Two Pesos was a lot better.

Boston Sea Party
Briargrove Theater
Astroworld

I have to confess, do not miss the Dome that much. I did have some great times there, and have good memories, but much prefer games on campus.

Oh, and I do miss the Y building.

Here are a few that haven’t been mentioned:

• The Pig Stand on Washington ( and other locations ) great CFS
  • The original Princes Hamburgers on Fannin at 59, now a metro stop
  • Club Linoleum at Post Oak Pharmacy in Uptown: best hamburgers in town! pancakes too!
    -Sonny Looks SirLoin Inn
    -Across the Street restaurant on Hillcroft
    -Alfies Fish n Chips/ Shakeys Pizza on Westheimer/Winrock

Howard Johnson’s Ice Cream on Bellaire, The Railhead steak house. Triple feature movies at the Bellaire Theater.

Movie drive ins where the cost was cheap and the movie didn’t matter.

1 Like

Butera’s Delicatessen…I can’t believe I forgot about Butera’s

1 Like

Thought this would be fun to bump, especially since we have something new to add.

The Dome.

1 Like

Pappas desecrated it with their sauce. I don’t care if the meat quality went up.

I WANT THAT 1990s LUTHER’S SAUCE: IN MY WATER BOTTLE, DAILY.

Ah, Two Pesos. The Vanilla Ice of Tacos (I say with this the utmost respect).

It was amazing, but all they had to do is change the design slightly, and it would have been fine. Lessons here are, if you’re going to steal an idea, maybe change more than the color.

1 Like