Player’s height

First thing I noticed when watching warm ups is our big men are actually big and look strong. This is not the your mama’s basketball team anymore. Looking for a great season from these players.

6 Likes

any game notes for those of us who couldn’t attend tonite?

we look very very good. in every aspect …but opponent likely hid flaws
a lot of full court press
every guard almost fouled out
gresham/harris attempted offense and looked decent…but had size advantage

1 Like
  • Mills one on one game is so smooth and fun to watch
  • Sasser can shoot
  • Nate, Jarreau, Grimes gonna give a lot of guards problems
  • Gresham added strength is noticeable
  • CKS is worth every penny
  • Team is very switchable on D
6 Likes

And gorham hit some 3’s early on and can bring it all the way in. He and Fabian are really gonna hurt some teams.

1 Like

The bad was probably expected but we missed some rotations and the guards picking up a lot of fouls.

1 Like

The BAD was seeing Fabian in a boot !!

5 Likes

First time to see Sasser or Mills play and I must say I was impressed. Mills can develop into a scoring machine gun…he reminds me of a quicker Rob Gray with an outside shot.
Sasser looks so mature and has a beautiful shot. He reminds a lot of Alvin Franklin, a guy who was good enough to start as a freshman on our final four team in '84. Sasser is thick and athletic, handles the ball well and plays very good defense. He is a much better outside shooter than Franklin was…but Alvin was one of the best penetrating guards we have had around here.
Hinton is just so steady and he is obviously taking the role of being a team leader. Love the way he plays tenacious defense, hits the boards and takes high percentage shots.
I realize we weren’t playing Duke, but I was impressed with Gresham, Gorham and Harris around the basket. Gresham actually started the game with a soft hook in the lane…hope he continues to develop that part of his game.
Gorham is another surprise…he is big and thick and very athletic…he can mix it up under the basket or take it outside and hit from three point land…
Harris looked hungry and aggressive and looks stronger this year…he is going to help in certain spots this year, no doubt.
This was not a very good outing for Deeky, but I expect him to turn it on when the real lights go on against a little better competition.
Grimes can score and I think he is still learning to play Sampson’s defense. He handles the ball well and isn’t afraid to pass to open teammates. He is going to get better as the season progresses…
I wish Fabian had played, but disappointed in seeing him in a boot. We really need him so I hope it isn’t anything serious.
This team will be a work in progress for some time…I am anxious to see us get tangled up with some stiff competition to see how these kids react under pressure.
I will say this, in all the years I have watched Cougar basketball I am not sure I have seen a more athletic team that went this deep.
Certainly not predicting a national title just yet, but I think we can develop into a really good team…and most certainly an exciting team to watch…
I am looking forward to watching this team all year long and hopefully deep into the playoffs…

11 Likes

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/1193362814884339713

1 Like

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/1193362565675524097

1 Like

I think Gorham falls in the very skilled rather than athletic category. But he works hard!
With he and White on the floor that would also give us two bigs who can give a little in the post and take it out for the shot.

I really liked the extended trap with the type of length we have on this team and it keeps them in position to fall back into the halfcourt D. Eventually I think we see a few wrinkles when we want to create some turnovers. What it really does it gives them less time to operate against us in the halfcourt.

The one thing I think we miss some is an alternative to Harris in the middle who can play physical and hold his ground. There will not be many teams it will matter against and just means guys like Gorham, White and Alley will need to help in that capacity down the road…

Staying out of foul trouble will be a key for this team in the middle

If anyone was paying attention Oregon put on an offensive clinic vs Boise State last night. They have some shooters on that team I like our D in the matchup

1 Like

You can’t run that press and the monster (CKS team specialty) in the same possession unless the opposing team is Ivy League and moves like molasses. It will be interesting to see how it evolves. Nate is very skilled at being the first man in that press though CKS said it himself and he doesn’t just give away defensive compliments in November.

1 Like

Comfortable in saying this could be the best team since Phi Slama Jama.

2 Likes

I remember CKS stating somewhere that this year’s team wouldn’t be very 3pt. heavy like last two years; but, I was pleasantly surprised that they seemed to be dropping. 12 were made, I believe?

And, the guards getting into foul trouble always tells me that its part of the aggressive defense that this team plays. Coach just has to know how to be prepared and temper the aggressiveness in a game if they become numerous quickly.

1 Like

I think this is typical CKS, talking down his team until March. It seems that Sasser can be a gunner.

2 Likes

He is old school like Coach Yeoman and coach Lewis were…he knows a lot of things can happen during a long season, some good and some bad…I love that attitude because I am old school also…it is okay to be confident, but cockiness can get you embarrassed…Go Coogs…

2 Likes