Playoff rankings

What a joke Cinn 7, BYU 14. Never a shot. And there were some here who thought we would be better served by the Coogs losing a game

https://twitter.com/chrisvannini/status/1331390842775482369?s=21

Edited after anger subsided. Poor choice of words for forum.

i dont get your point…7 is an AMAZING starting rankings…espn just had a whole section that cincy has a real shot just needs a few upsets

Oklahoma made the playoffs last year and were #9 in the 1st cfp rankings

im really confused your point here…byu is under ranked but that has nothing what so ever to do with the aac

4 Likes

The problem as I see it is that a non-p5 school is dependent on the failures of others (p5) in order to advance, not on what they accomplish. And much more than a random upset. It just won’t happen. And I am sorry, previous posts alluded to the opinion that a Coog loss would be good for the conference. I will never accept that.

4 Likes

Cincy wins out, they get the NY 6 bowl…

3 Likes

Assume Alabama beat Florida in SEC championship game, ND beat Clemson in rematch in ACC championship game, Ohio St. beats NW in BIG championship game, A&M wins out and Cincinnati wins out. Does an unbeaten UC get in playoff over one-loss A&M? What if A&M loses to (or even fails to win decisively over) LSU, Auburn or Tennessee, does UC get in over A&M?

a&m winning out will get it over cincy
cincy needs a&m to lose

That’s probably right. I guess I’ll just have to root for A&M to lose every week now – oh wait, I do that already!

11 Likes

I think its quite fair.

They have an outside shot, but no G5 is getting in over a P5 conference champ with one loss.

50-50 compared to a conference champ with two losses or a one loss non conference champ from P5

1 Like

Cartel/mafia/the family of a powerful person - that’s what it is

You won’t come to my house - I gotta keep coming to yours but if I get too good you won’t take my call so I gotta invite someone less to play just to get a game in.

There’s no way Cincinnati can win if everyone wins out.

This is what players need to complain about publicly

I think 7 is good for starting. They are 2 spots from shattering the glass.

2 Likes

in related funny news… byu is ranked at 14, way lower than they expected…
instead of attacking the p5, the p5 teams ranked in front of them…theyve choosen to channel their anger at cincinnati for some reason… lots of memes being made out

https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/1331392168544534528

also of note byu and cincy have an open date that matches… byu’s adminstration and fans are desperately trying to get them to play…
its almost of no benefit to cincy at this point… beating byu wont jump them over a&m or ND and puts the ny6 at risk if they lose…

3 Likes

I’m going to see this as a really good sign. The CFP committee and ESPN is starting to take the AAC seriously; if they didn’t they’d be sitting in the teens like BYU and their wins would be dismissed. Instead we have Cincinnati sitting at 7 solely on the strength of conference wins.

2 Likes

There was a lot of talk coming out of Provo about how they should consider playing this weak-bum schedule every year because being undefeated and highly ranked is cool.

This is a needed wakeup call. They can’t schedule worse than our conference and expect better treatment.

2 Likes

7 is actually great! They only have climb THREE spots!

2 Likes

I think this is the 1st time the highest rated G5 doesn’t start off at least 3 spots below the other polls

BYU need to join the AAC. This should let them know that the independent status for them will not work. Only Notre Dame get the P5 status that BYU desires.

Cincy beat 2 ranked teams…BYU one…they should be higher. BYU have one fame left against San Diego State…not enough ground to make up. Cincy win 2 and AAC CC and they are going to the NY6. BYU is finished after this next game.

6 Likes

So glad I don’t work with any Aggies since leaving Texas… Their arrogance has to be at a record level currently.

4 Likes

I def get it and I agree but I also look at the flip side of the coin…

Lets say we got invited to the PAC and won the conference going 12-1 beating teams like USC and Oregon along the way.

Alabama finishes #1 at 13-0
Ohio State finishes #2 at 13-0
Clemson finishes #3 at 13-0

and then we are PAC champs at 12-1 after beating some really good teams along the way with our only stumble being in a tough away game (say @Stanford or @Washington) and then there is a 13-0 G5 champion who may have beaten 1-2 average P5 teams with another 3-4 solid G5 wins.

Would they deserve to go the the CFP over UH in this situation?

I sure hope not imo. While you only can play the teams they put in front of you, outside of the XII (where they don’t play defense) or the ACC (some really bad teams) a P5 schedule that includes 11P5 teams wears on your team (injuries, depth, etc.) Its one thing to be good enough to beat a good P5 team in a one off game, its another to repeatedly do it over the course of a season.

The AAC is obviously a really strong conference, but our bottom is way worse than the bottom of the other conferences. Thankfully UConn is gone, which definitely helps.

4 Likes

Clemson has already lost to ND but without Lawrence and are #4. Cincy could beat the KC Chiefs and move up to #5, but no higher.

5 Likes

The best news for Cincy might be that Oregon and USC are #15 and #18, but I still think if one of those teams goes undefeated, they are jumping Cincy. A lot of things have to go right for them to get to #4. Talking about A&M, they have to lose to Auburn but there isn’t even a guarantee they play that game! The Big 10 could be an issue too if Northwestern upsets Ohio St in the championship game (or it gets canceled!), both would then be ranked above Cincy.