Position Rankings: Tight Ends

https://swcroundup.com/news/2017/6/23/position-rankings-tight-ends?utm_content=bufferbbc7f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

8. Houston

Houston loses Tyler McCloskey and his 21 catches, but return a few interesting prospects at the position.
Romello Brooker saw a fair amount of playing time behind McCloskey. Brooker had two catches and a touchdown in 2016. He came to Houston as a 175 pound receiver, but has bulked up to 240. He’s still a plus athlete and can stretch the defense.

Iowa State transfer Alex Leslie played sparingly for Houston in 2016. He’s 6-6 and 250 pounds and better run blocker. Redshirt freshman Mason Tobola out of West and true freshman Parker Eichenberger could factor in as well for the Cougars. Eichenberger out of Katy was the 8th tight end prospect in the state last season and chose the Cougars over Illinois and Tulsa.

What I loved about McCloskey was how good he was as sneaking open near the end zone. I’m sure part of it was that we didn’t throw to the TE a massive amount, but he also must have sold his blocks or some other good technique. It seemed like he would walk right into the end zone completely uncovered at least once a game. (Yes, I realize he only had 4 TDs receiving)

2 Likes

I couldn’t count how man times McCloskey was great at those edge blocks freeing up Ward for those perimeter runs. That needs to be the #1 priority for the TE; run blocking.

2 Likes

I don’t see why Jimmy can’t contact Admin to change his avatar