Post-SMU Monday Press Conferences and teleconferences

Quotes from the 1st video if you can’t listen are at this link:

On watching the film on the offense
“Offensively, it was a situation where there was some things we could do better as coaches and obviously some things we could do better as players. Looking at how they played us, inviting the wrong, we have to be able to execute that better. We also have to do some things that we do well, trust what we do, and trust what we do best. That’s when you go back and you’re honest on your assessment with it. There were some certain positions that didn’t play very well, and didn’t see things the way they needed to be seen. There were some coaches, myself included, that didn’t see things the way they needed to, and make adjustments when they needed to be made. Defensively, just looking at some of the things that happened through the air, we can’t let people get behind us when we are playing zone. The whole purpose of playing zone is to prevent huge plays and stay behind everything. We need to change up some looks that were giving quarterbacks, especially experienced guys and guys playing well like Anthony Russo that we’ll be playing Saturday. We need to change up our coverage looks and we need to create more pressure. There wasn’t enough pressure, there was some pressure at times. We need to create more pressure if we want to affect the quarterback.”

3 Likes

Reminds me of one of the greatest series of all time,
“Lost in Space”

Captain Roladex…double talk !!

Well, it sounds like to me he is well aware of the issues you all keep pointing out. I also think Applewhite must also be aware that the lack of pressure has been a problem. I would be shocked if we do not have a new DC next year. He specifically talked about changing up looks for the opposing QB, so in a way, he was taking a jab at the scheme or Donofrio. So I can see a change being made at the end of the year.

On offense, it sounds like he and Briles are aware that they let the the SMU defense dictate the offensive game plan, and that they can not let this stop them from what has made the offense work. I think they realize they mistakenly underutilized King against SMU to run the ball. Applewhite said we need to do what works best for us on offense.

4 Likes

I did not see the fire in this press conference. The same issues have been going for two seasons now. CMA should be much more agitated right now. You can point out at getting better production or execute better. Unfortunately we have not seen a DC evolution to better suit our players’s strength. When was the last time we saw some “innovative” looks on defense? That is on CMA to get better Coaching from D’Onofrio. He is the C.E.O. This is not happening.

I think he is aware based on comments that the scheme is just not working good enough on defense. So I think he is going to get a new DC this offseason. Last year he understood that the offense was just not cutting it and made a change. He will make a change on defense at the end of the season. He will never be the coach that will go all fire and brimstone in a press conference. He will also not directly throw a coach under the bus although his statements on the SMU game referenced the defensive scheme.

Just because he doesn’t yell at a press conference doesn’t mean he is not demanding more accountability behind the scenes. We don’t get to see even half of what is going on in the program day to day.

5 Likes

I am not asking him to yell. I am asking for him to make changes during the week so we can see different options during game time. That is what a true leader does. This is clearly not happening. He still has plenty of games this season to “right” the ship. Let’s see what’s in store.

He has only lost two games and everyone needs to stop acting like try Tech game should have been a gimme. Also until this past week we had scored 40 or more points in each game. The defense has been bad but if you look at the numbers they have made some decent adjustments in the Navy and USF games.

You all act like he is the only coach in UH history to have a bad loss. Yeoman, Art Briles, Sumlin, and even the “demigod” Herman had a bad loss. We play great at TDECU. That is why I think we will be 9-2 going into the Memphis game. You can tell by Applewhite’s comments they are aware of mistakes made against SMU especially on offense.

I am being positive and think Briles will have the offense back to normal for Temple. If UH can go back to bringing blitz pressure on the defense as we did against ECU we will have a big win.

6 Likes

Aware.

One thing that came to my mind after watching our bizarre play calling and finding out that 75% of the public betting money was on UH. Fertitta made a crap load of cash off his sports books because of UH throwing, i mean losing that game…

1 Like

Temple is better then ECU.

Most Monday press conferences are boring, low energy affairs. Even the great Showman, Herman, was like a walking zombie on Mondays.

1 Like

Now here’s a conspiracy theory I can respect!

3 Likes

Anyone know what he means by “inviting the wrong”?

It’s not just scheme. He mentioned how we (the players) let receivers get behind them when playing zone. That’s on the players, 100%, I think.

1 Like

They repeatedly baited us into making the run read based on the defensive alignment, then ran a bunch of run blitzes to keep us to short gains. They “invited the wrong” reads.

Like I said yesterday, SMU’s DC absolutely owned Kendal on Saturday.

6 Likes

Here’s the issue. They’ve been playing zone all of this year and last year as well. Either the players that they are starting CAN’T get it, or the coaches CAN’T break the responsibilities of their zones down in Barney terms. It may be time to put someone else in (stop playing favorites), or resign as a coach because they are failing these players either way.

What’s the definition of insanity?

3 Likes

Yeah, zone is pretty easy. All you have to do is read the QBs eyes while keeping an eye on who’s in or moving into your zone, and stay within striking distance, then BAM! pick six. Nothing could be easier.

2 Likes