Potential New Defensive Coordinators

IMO, I believe the time is up for this defensive coordinator and scheme. It hasn’t worked out. It doesn’t pair well with a fast attack offense.

I think we need to bring the Gibb’s defense back, but short of bringing Gibbs back himself, I say we go after Zac Spavital.

Lot of season left, we could still win out, finish as a conference champion, and we have an outside shot at a NY6 bid if the MW champ has two losses. However, I don’t think there is really any choice left, D’Onofrio is not the DC we need.

9 Likes

We can also lose every game left. Please reference SMU…

Minnesota fires their DC today. Houston should do some soul searching

Where is Spavital?

1 Like

Texas Tech, he is Gibbs LB coach. He is a hell of a recruiter too. He coached at UH with Gibbs.

I should add that I am not advocating D’Onofrio’s immediate removal. Just finish the season and then let’s move on.

7 Likes

Update… he is the co-defensive coordinator.

Zac is a great choice not only for our defense but also for our…offense. This would be a double upgrade especially for a young Briles. At this point we can all speculate. We have no idea how we will finish the season. It is easy to extrapolate and see CMA let go if we finish 8-4 or 7-5 again. Again I am just extrapolating. I have to say that a tandem of Zac & Kendall is pretty intriguing.

2 Likes

Keith Patterson, DC at Utah State
Kevin Kane, DC at SMU
Kevin Clune, Senior Def. Asst. Memphis

1 Like

If this team wins out in the regular season and ends the regular season at 10-2, is anyone getting fired? I know it is a big “IF” after last night but the AAC Championship and subsequent bowl game would have to be complete disasters in that scenario.

No. Under no circumstances will anyone get fired at 10-2.
That being said, I agree with OP if for the reason that I can’t see Dorito improving on this year’s 120th ranked defense.

I actually think we could sink further under his scheme.

How do you improve your pass defense with this scheme?

1 Like

Be careful what you wish for. Tech is giving up about a half-yard more per play than UH. They allow 32 fewer total yards per game, but they are #23 nationally in time of possession. UH is #130, last in the country, because of the offense we run. I would be fine with replacing D’Onofrio, but I’m not sure I couldn’t find someone better for the position, maybe a DC at a C-USA or Sun Belt school.

2 Likes

Can’t coach the secondary or the LBs. Why is this so hard? Just cut off the passing routes. And no pressure on the line. I’m just a sofa coach but Jesus.

I agree its hard to play defense opposite this offense. I actually thought that Stewart was developing a good scheme to overcome that facet.

S&C are key. Yet our corners and safeties don’t seem physical enough to tackle people a lot of the time. And our mindset is different from Orlando. His philosophy advocated taking the ball away on every play.

To be fair, Tech is playing the 21st rated schedule in the country per Sagarin and UH is playing the 110th rated schedule. You aren’t sure you can find someone better than D’Onofrio? Really? The guy was a HS coach when he was hired wasn’t he?

7 Likes

Pete Golding, Co-DC, Inside LB Coach @ Alabama. He coached UTSA in the 2016 and 2017 seasons.

He won’t last long at BAMA and I’m sure he’s learned a thing or two from Nick Saban.

3 Likes

I believe, firmly believe, that coach no d will be back next year. We will end this season with 9 or 10 wins and defensive coordinators don’t get fired for that and he sure as hell won’t be hired away.

Saturday was an example of coach applewhite as a head coach. His o coordinator struggled and that has been his ticket to overcoming his lack of coaching ability. Saturday reminded me of last year and is a snapshot of the next 2 years minimum. If briles sticks around we will win 8-10 next year but lose some because the defense will never be able to bail out our offense if it trips out the gate. Saturday was a snapshot of life after Ed with coach no d. Enjoy.

2 Likes

He was not a HS coach. Worse…he was a coach at YMCA

1 Like

Where did I say I couldn’t find someone superior to D’Onofrio? My point was simply that UH should be able to get someone better than a defensive assistant at Tech, which is #23 in time of possession yet #110 in total defense.

Phil Bennett, former SMU head coach, Baylor DC. Was Arizona State DC last year, but left after the year due to health concerns. Good recruiter and knows Texas well.

6 Likes

Koenning for sure needs to get a call.