Potential New Defensive Coordinators

Gotta be better than the other guy.

1 Like

Gibbs wasn’t the DC when Auburn beat Oregon to win the MNC. He was there several years earlier when they went undefeated but didn’t win the MNC. They finished #2.

No, it’s that. If it is like his first two, then they wouldn’t be worried. It would mean the end of him, which is what they want.

So your theory is that 100% of people that don’t consider Gibbs the best candidate that we can get, are afraid Gibbs is the best candidate?

1 Like

I’m not convinced he would be able to replicate the UH defenses of ‘13 (#1 nationally in turnover margin, #20 scoring defense) and ‘14 (#15 scoring defense, #20 total defense, #23 turnover margin) either, but Tech finished in the middle of the Big 12 in scoring defense this year, which speaks to how challenging it is to be a DC in that league. OU and WVU scored 115 points in their game last weekend. Normally pedestrian Kansas State and Iowa State tallied 80 in theirs. WV scored 47 on Gary Patterson. I thought he knew a little something about defense? Ohio State put up 62 on a Michigan team that was in the top 10 in scoring defense. I was in high school when we went to Austin to see #8 UH beat #6 Texas 10-7. I don’t think we’ll be seeing such games again.

If it’s Gibbs I’ll hope that we field aggressive, opportunistic defenses that finish in the 80s or better in scoring as Tech did. Had we finished #86, we’d probably have 9-10 wins and be preparing for the championship game. We’ll be scoring probably in the high 40s or more, so if we’re giving up the same 29 ppg that Memphis did we should do very well. I don’t see us having a suffocating defense anytime in the foreseeable future, so the best alternative would ostensibly be a defense that can create confusion and turnovers. We have some players who could do very well under Gibbs, namely Sprewell, Anderson, Anenih, Gooden, and Chambers.

3 Likes

Did I say that? No, I didn’t.

When we hired Herman there was a whole cadre of fans pressing him to keep Gibbs. Don’t you guys remember that? Not that I have any dog in this fight.

4 Likes

You guys remember how it felt when Sportscenter was tallying our defensive turnovers under Gibbs. It had been a long time since a UH defense was a stat machine.

I remember.

Doesn’t mean he’ll do it again but he’s an attacker. And after Dorito’s Zone Cone I am hungry for an attacking D. I’ll support Gibbs because he made UH better when he was here.

3 Likes

I too like the attacking D, high risk-high reward. It benefits our D and the type of offense we run. If the D is going to be prone to giving a scoring drives, I’d rather they be quick and caused by aggressive play, plays where our attacking style cost us. This gives the offense the ball back and keeps the D off the field more. On the other hand if we attack and get the high reward like a turnover or stop, then the D gets off the field quicker and the O gets the ball back.

1 Like

Okay two days since Gibbs interviewed … and no word from our AD …

My guess … Gibbs was expecting a king’s ransom … but got a pauper’s hand out from Pez AND no doubt only a year to produce this so called amazing and probably mythical attacking defense he is supposedly famous for … or the ole famous put up some results since you flopped lately with some bad defensive stats at TT … or its “so long its been good to know ya” after only one year

If he isn’t hired tomorrow then it could well not look good for this has been from the land of tumbleweeds and scorpions …

NOW other than Gibbs has there really been anyone else that we know of who is likely a candidate … SURELY … we have had more than one candidate apply or is our staff too lazy to search for someone decent or just picking the easy has beens/duds who stumble in the door

1 Like

Theres no reason to rush into it. The DC wont even be here for the bowl game. Might as well the most qualified person.

4 Likes

Having a DC who just sends the house more often than not is probably a solid idea with next year’s defense. Philosophically that’s not too far off from what Gibbs does.

1 Like

What’s the rush? We have’nt had a DC in 2 years.

13 Likes

:rofl: it wasnt that bad sometimes.

Some people have short memories about how well his units played here.

4 Likes

Post of the Thread!!!

He clearly had very good defenses the two years he was here. No denying that. Look at the stats I posted above. Yes, we have interviewed others. Agree that there’s no big rush to do it immediately, but we do want to have the DC in place fairly soon as official visit weekends are upcoming and then Signing Day in less than three weeks.

If we expect to sign a good defensive class (which we apparently need to do), we should plan to have our new DC in place to recruit prior to the early signing date which is December 19th.

That’s just 19 days ahead to (i) hire the new DC, (ii) put together a defensive staff, (iii) visit with prospective defensive recruits, and (iv) offer/select/sign the requisite new student athletes. Of course, we can (and still may) always wait until February to offer/select/sign players, but that is not necessarily our preferable option.

1 Like

Keep in mind, with past hires Major has moved at a snails pace. I don’t ever remember a coach taking so long to hire coaches. I’m actually surprised he got rid of D’Onofrio so fast, I fully expected that move to take a month.

1 Like

The short-term memory on this board is amazing. There was poster after poster saying we needed to keep Gibbs when he was here. Some criticized the Orlando hiring. I wish I could go back and repost those threads. We could Hire Bill Belichick as our defensive coordinator and many on this board will still complain. It is hard to be on this board sometimes when every decision UH makes is never good enough. Thank goodness the posters on here are not actually running the university.

7 Likes