Potential New Defensive Coordinators

I see what your’e saying and I’m on the fence for Gibbs, I truly am friend. I just want to see our officials stretch this out and at least make it look like they did their research, because if he fails(even though I hope he succeeds), I’m not going to blame him. I’m going to blame everyone in the hiring process that pulled trigger this fast instead of doing the necessary homework.

1 Like

The only game out of that bunch that should be classified as not bad is the okie state game. TCU has been in shambles offensively all year, never give up 51 points to OU or anyone, and 35 is still a lot of points.

Jet Duffey played a big role in Tech’s inability to consistently score, i.e. if the Bowman injury didn’t happen, Kingsbury would still be Tech’s coach.

Just like if the King injury didn’t happen, I would bet my home that we would be preparing for the championship game.

3 Likes

Agreed. And with the unfortunate news about Milton, we’d win that one too. :pensive:

1 Like

I think the same people would argue that Dimel vastly improved the Cougars in his final year by comparing it to his year before.

I see what you did there. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Well, yeah. 0-11 to 5-7 isn’t nothing.

And BABs won a ton of games with Dimel’s recruits (and Kevin Kolb).

I agree that stopping the QBs/offense at WVU and OU is VERY challenging. Only UCF could come close to those offenses. I am more concerned with giving up points to UT (41), Baylor (35), KState (21), Iowa St (40) and Ole Miss (47).

1 Like

Feel free to go back further in Kingsbury’s tenure… It is more of the same.

And 49 to us with over 650 in total offense lol

1 Like

I said we needed to keep Gibbs in 2015 and emphatically say we should hire him now.

1 Like

If Gibbs is the man, I’m sure we are waiting until he has been fired by Tech. Has he been officially fired yet since the new coach with coordinators was announced last night?

We interviewed another person yesterday. Applewhite is trying to make sure he gets this hire right. He has his OC locked up, he needs a good DC. With the schedule we have next year, Applewhite has to be concerned about where we are at defensively today versus where we need to be tomorrow.

Keep in mind Orlando has had a drop off since leaving UofH as well. He was great last year but has been underwhelming this year-tied for 51st in scoring defense. While tech was 85th, UT has vastly superior talent to work with and a much slower paced offense to counterbalance it. Most on their boards want Orlando fired after liking him last year

2 Likes

Opie? OMG that’s perfect.

Opie is the description/term of endearment the orangeblood faithful (my UT friends in Austin way back when) gave Applewhite back when he was player … his blondish/red hair reminded them of sheriff Andy Taylor’s son Opie from the ole Andy Griffith show.

1 Like

How are we lowering our expectations with Gibbs? UH, fans have entitled problem. You all think any hot coach should automatically come to UH. We are not the only football program looking for coaches. You all start rattling off names for guys who are not even reported to be on the move. Too many of you always get a certain coach that you favor and will never accept anybody else. We also do not have the recourses financially to always get some of the coaches you all want either. Gibbs has been successful everywhere but Tech and all of sudden he is a downgrade. To say that Gibbs is a disastrous DC is crazy. His scheme worked he before, so why all of a sudden would he not be able to duplicate it?

2 Likes

Great post. Thank you very much.

1 Like

Not what I said. I said that if he is hired, we have to lower our expectations he can duplicate his past success at UH since his failure at Tech is being attributed to playing opposite an “air raid” / up tempo offense (Briles runs up tempo as well).

I remember his defenses giving up lots of yards at UH and making up for it with takeaways. In 2017, TTU had 29 takeaways but, 2018, that number dropped to 18 (granted only 12 games). I am trying to temper my expectations and keep them realistic since, IF HIRED, his defense has to play more plays this time around and similar to the workload at Tech.

I am not opposed to Gibbs at all but please keep lumping me in with all of the “entitled” folks. Nice discussion.

1 Like

He didn’t fail at Tech.