Potential New Defensive Coordinators

but ill add between the 2, orlandos 2015 defense was better than gibbs…but a HUGE part of that was that Orlando used gibbs developed players in his scheme

he used players that were indoctrinated into gibbs turnover philosophies (always stripped, undercutting routes…etc) and then used that with orlandos exotic schemes …2015 was a best of both worlds

4 Likes

Next year he would be facing
#1 Oklahoma
#5 Memphis
#10 UCF
#15 North Texas
#23 Washington State
#25 Cincinnati

So would we be OK with similar results?

1 Like

gibbs had a defense that took a team undefeated
his defense at tech wasnt good but it was the best tech has had in a decade
his defense at Houston at that point in time was the best we had had in 20+ years

i don’t think Gibbs is a homerun, but he’s a decent choice.

what odd to me is your choice is app states DC, who has 1-year dc experience total, with essentially no experience else where, and has not played anywhere near the offense Houston will be playing next year ever

1 Like

I wonder if Gibbs can brings some recruits with him. Specially the kid from Pearland.

The argument that it is hard to recruit in Lubbock doesn’t ring true with me… how is it that Kingsbury went there as did Patrick Mahomes? Don’t the offensive players go to the same school as the defensive players? what am I missing?

Tech has a nice campus and facilities. Additionally, they are in the Big 12, which should help recruiting and benefit from more revenues. What Gibbs (sorry for the pun)?

I just wish they would hurry up and hire someone so that they can start working with our underclassmen. They’re missing out on valuable practice and learning time together.

What if we have a candidate that is interested but on a team playing in a conference championship? I want Mr Right not Mr Right Now. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

That thought crossed my mind. I’d like both of them…right now. :wink:

App State faced Penn State this year my spelling-challenged friend, which is certainly on par with all those named offenses.

Carrel is calling plays the bowl game. The most the new DC would be involved is observing practices passively. It does behoove the AD to have this wrapped up by or prior to the conclusion of the bowl.

is someone not keeping up with football this season?

look up penns state games this year
then look up oklahoma, wazzu, ucf, memphis, even UNT

penn state has only scored more than 30 twice in their last 9 games…rutgers kept them to 20.

penn state preseason hype was on par, but their actual team is not

Well so far no word from our AD or Major on the DC …

It is encouraging that Pez has been interviewing some candidates OTHER than the dud Gibbs … but … hasn’t announced who they are … WHICH … may also be encouraging since they probably want their identities kept a secret … which means they are probably more than fairly decent but don’t want their current employer knowing their intentions … let’s hope this is the case and that we DON’T wind up with Gibbs as our only … eghh … choice …

Is Pezman actually interviewing candidates, that would be unusual. I’ve never heard of an AD interviewing position coaches or coordinators for a head coach. Usually it’s the head coach that conducts the interviews and presents the final choice to the AD to work up contract details.

1 Like

I heard Gibbs had immense trouble attracting talent to Lubbock. Finally had to start inticing grad transfers to get some quality. Houston is a hot bed. #GoCoogs!

Pez has been actively involved in the process .

1 Like

And Pez is more likely to make this a NATIONAL search.

Penn State was #40 in Offensive S&P+ and had the 20th SoS. Not elite, but good.

Go back to saying we have the 10th best basketball team in the league and spelling at a 2nd grade level, kiddo.

someone still doesnt understand how power rankings work…
i wont explain it to you for the 18th time …we have had like 15 debates on this forum and this is the only thing you can clench too, have i bested you in every debate that this is the only thing you can post about…every time???

Maybe the first time around but how many chances does the head coach get? I don’t think Major is in a position to complain about preferences.