Potential New Defensive Coordinators

I don’t know if this was discussed earlier but this was one of the most exciting games I’ve seen, where Gibbs was the interim coach.

3 Likes

Hey Lickskillet, no offense or anything, but we won that game only by recovering 2 or 3 onsides kicks and scoring in a hurry. The Defense could not stop Pitt. The reason we won was the onsides kicks…and in reality we still shouldn’t have won given that when Pitt had a 3rd down with less than a minute to go their QB threw a perfect pass to a wide open receiver (the best on the Pitt roster) around the 20 yard line and…he dropped it (although we dropped an interception to end the game on first down of that series). So we won the game, but it was not Gibb’s defense that did so. Credit Ward, Farrow, Greenberry, and the offensive and special teams squad for that victory. The defense did not face Pitt’s offense in the 4th quarter except for our lucky escape on the last drive. Otherwise, our defense was blown out in that game.

Are we talking to D.J. Eliot? He’s been DC of a very respectable unit at Colorado the past two years (finished 66th in scoring defense this year, 74th in '17; I would love to finish in the 60s or 70s), DC at Kentucky for three years before that, plus he coached at Florida State, Rice, and Texas State and was a GA here.

https://cubuffs.com/staff.aspx?staff=698

Curious. Has anyone ever kept up with how DCs and OCs stay with the same program as HCs?

Do former DCs have a tendency to stay longer with the same program as its HC?

All good points Rayos. So it was Gibbs offense that won the game😉. Anyway it was an exciting game that I remember him coaching, while I was stuck in a hospital with a sick relative. They were hearing me scream in the waiting room.

Yeah Lickskillet, it was a great game…I was about to turn the tv off when I saw Farrow bust that guy in the endzone and score and I thought…I gotta keep watching! LOL. Cardiac Coogs Forever! I hope your relative came out okay. I just hope we get the right DC because given our roster, we need one heck of a catch. I’ll be there next season regardless. Go Coogs and the best to you!

1 Like

I’ve been watching UH defense with interest since 1976 and the best defenses were the 52 we ran under Bill Yeoman and we had the horses to shut down anyone.

3 Likes

One of my all time favorite plays. I must have watched that replay a thousand times.

4 Likes

I was pushing Spav because I didn’t anticipate Cliff getting fired. Gibbs is just a lucky get, much like the last time he fell in our lap. Pez was involved in his hire the last time. Hopefully Zac comes here as well.

It is highly doubtful that he will leave for a G5.

Remember one thing…lots of coaches want to live in Houston. That’s why there is always interest in openings at UH

Plus, we are always a hungry team, just on the edge…a perfect setup for an upcoming coach looking to impress the big boys…ie witness the packages Briles threw out even though it made no sense in the situational game at hand (maybe lost us some games?)…its like “lookie here at what I can do” kind of thing. Many threads have covered this but we here in Coogstown will live under that until our conference situation changes. To think he would “interview” at Texas State after one year. Jeez. It would be nice to have coaches that work to win at Houston, not at their next “audition”. At least while they are employed here at H-town.

The Mad Dogs.

Now that is a name I haven’t heard in a long time

Then he may have to leave for a high school gig. He’s the DC at Colorado. The head coach, McIntyre, was let go, and the assistants are basically just hanging on and recruiting until the new coach is hired.

1 Like

Bo Pelini
Ruffin McNeil if he is not retained at OU.

I doubt we hire a DC before the bowl game.

I doubt we wait that long…Not hiring a DC is having a negative impact on recruiting…We need to get that rectified ASAP…Its not like we havent known we were going to be doing this since the Tech game…I have rarely seen an unhappier coach at a post game press conference as Applewhite was talking about our defense after that game.

I’m thinking it will be in the next day or two.