Potential New Defensive Coordinators

If they hire Gibbs I think he will bring some recruits with him from Tech.

I agree, Several Tech commits have already announced their decision to de commit.

I don’t know what UH is waiting for? To bring a unknown person?

Yeah, that’s it. They’re waiting to bring in an unknown person. I hear the line coach at Pershing Middle School has the inside track. Maybe they aren’t as enamored with Gibbs as you? Maybe there are contract holdups? Maybe he wants to bring the Tech defensive staff with him? Maybe we are negotiating with a more impressive choice? Who knows?

4 Likes

That’s how the timeline used to be but it has changed with early signing period. Expect a ton of coordinator openings to be resolved this week.

We have already interviewed 3 candidates and that was before today. We seem in deadly earnest about this and it sounds like we have some good candidates to choose from. I think we’ll be happy with who we get. As good as our offense will be next year, this hire is critical to have a potentially great year next year.

1 Like

Well I am encouraged that we are STILL LOOKING and INTERVIEWING and NOT picking the first Tom Dick or Harry JUST because he was here before … and … did well … but … flopped when he left …

The longer this is taking the more likely it won’t be Gibbs much to the chagrin of his fans on this board …

4 Likes

Do we know who those 3 candidates are. Gibbs and…?

1 Like

i dont have any insider sources but from the forum
gibbs, spav and naivar seem to be the only known ones

1 Like

Maybe we are waiting to hire Ruffin McNeil. :grin:

1 Like

Several Texas Tech decommits recently…hmmm

Too bad because he needs to get out there and recruit asap.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/1069376858075029504?s=20

2 Likes

Ugh, that article is not good news. Like Ron said our recruits need to know who their DC will be. The sharks are swarming. You’re also giving defensive recruits a reason not to sign in December, they’ll just wait until February when we’ve hired someone.

Hopefully CMA is just being coy and we hire someone soon.

Not good.

I’m guessing CMA is waiting on coaches that are still playing before picking a DC. We may also be waiting on coaches that want to wait to see whether or not other openings occur before coming to Houston. Or, we know who we’re going to hire, but they’ve asked us not to announce until after early signing day or the bowls.

2 Likes

NFL season still going on and maybe they need to finish up (reference to the Brian Stewart’s of the world). Some games just wrapped up this weekend so may need this week to get some of those guys to interview this week.

From the delay we are seeing then THAT would appear to be the case …

Major CANNOT afford to choose another bad DC … this third year is critical … he has the firepower to score PLENTY to win …

IF …

He has the stopping power … which means all he needs is a decent DC and defensive associates who can perform AND TEACH JUST the basic techniques to whomever we recruit or already have ON BOARD …

IT doesn’t have to be a steel curtain … I would take an effective speed bump curtain … ANY CURTAIN WHO CAN KEEP the opposing team from outscoring our potent offense …

We know now that NO HIGHLY RATED defense is invulnerable … look at Michigan … OU … and even Bama who needed a discarded QB and a bad decision from the UGa HC to pull their highly rated patooties outa the fire pit …

4 Likes

Whoever we hire, it won’t be Zac Spavital.

https://twitter.com/Keff_C/status/1069619713540587521

2 Likes

I’m sure what you are saying is the case, but I can’t help but remember us waiting last time believing these very reasons for the delay. Then CMD was announced! Lol.

1 Like