Potential New Defensive Coordinators

Good for him. Sure would have preferred him be on Cullen Blvd. in two years that will be one hot pair of coaches in the annual coaching sweepstakes. Hope they enjoy the next two years in San Marcos.

1 Like

Other schools dont ever “wait” when they want to hire from our coaching staff. We dont need to wait on anyone either. “They gotta go recruit.”

2 Likes

That is a good reason to worry.

3 Likes

This is where early signing can hurt us. Gibbs is still employed at Tech and making $650k/year, right? If he is the target, I assume Major has to wait until he is fired to announce. With no bowl game for Tech, they don’t need to retain coaches and they will need to move quickly to name their staff to help their recruiting for Wells.

Mama Spavital dropped the hammer. You can recruit against each other in the b12 but not at SWT.

You chicken littles need to take a deep breath. I’d rather us take our time and hire the correct person then rush the hire just to save a handful of recruits. We are going to lose recruits regardless of who or when we hire a replacement and we will also gain because of who we hire.

IMO the reason some of the bigger schools announce hires faster than we do is because they start negotiating before there is even an opening. LSU and Texas had Herman’s contract written up long before the Memphis game.

2 Likes

We dont know anything about who, and i think we are being very secretive, and nothing wrong with that.

I think we must be trying to poach someone worth poaching if it’s taking this long. Maybe I’m an optimist, but with 700k for an AAC OC, and 400k for a OL coach and run game coordinator i think we’re going after someone that’s talented and will get a big raise to get here.

I dunno how much Pete Golding makes now as a Bama assistant but if i remember correctly he was a pretty good DC at UTSA.

Whoever it is I hope and pray that he is an aggressive play caller. Dont know if I can handle watching some more 10 yard cushion from the dbs.

7 Likes

Don’t read too much into the wait. They are most likely weighing different candidates based upon experience, reputation and price point.

1 Like

I think Applewhite just moves slow and takes his time. Didn’t it take him at least a month to announce dan carrel and James Casey and they were just GA promotions. I think the same was true for rod grace.

Besides Gibbs, a C-USA DC interviewed over the weekend. Not the UAB guy, who’s almost surely going to stick with his long-time buddy, Bill Clark.

Blake Baker, the La Tech DC, is known by some of our staff, would get a big pay raise (making $140k now), and has coordinated some good defenses for La Tech for the past 3 years.

1 Like

On the recruiting front I think if CMA had to do it all over he wouldn’t have signed so many in December as they did last year. Basically didn’t sign anyone during Feb signing.He picked up few Grad transfers in Spring/Summer. They will have plenty to go chase for 5 weeks for Feb signing once they know who new DC will be.

If it is Gibbs… do you think Gibbs gets a better deal if he is fired instead of leaving for another job?

Does his current contract amount to much? Maybe they’re just waiting to announce. This seems risky given the aforementioned reasons - things change, recruits, etc.

Honestly I don’t think they want Gibbs at this point. At least as their first choice. They would have just bagged him.

Gibbs and Baker are two of 4 known to have interviewed, Baker being the last of the 4. However, there may be others added or unknown. CMA and Pez are doing due diligence and being very careful with this hire; we can’t afford to screw it up, speaking from both on field and financial aspects.

1 Like

Some info on Blake Baker …

https://latechsports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=250&path=football

LaTech plays Hawaii 12/22/2018 in the Hawaii Bowl the same day we play Army

So, the 4 are spavital, Gibbs, baker and naivar that we know of (there might have been more and more to come in the future). Spavital is out. Of the 3 known to have interviewed I understand people’s reluctance with Gibbs but man I hope they don’t pick naivar.

2 Likes