Potential New Defensive Coordinators

Just throwing a name out there but how about Jason Washington? He has some experience under his belt and we’d be taking a coach back from UT. He is recruiting coordinator at UT as well.

1 Like

CmD is gonna stay next year most likely. That means we have a lot to prove going forward. However i feel like a 7 minute drive hurts us way more than a 3rd minute drive of D. To complement the offense we need to gamble to stop them to 8 downs of less. We dont have the natural ball hawking dbs we used to so we need to create opportunities. 3rd downs have been a killer

Dis… As far as Dorito goes. Maybe this is why we lost our top recruit and Ed Oliver’s replacement next year. Makes sense if Dorito is fire after the season.

Cary
The data is obvious. I created a database of stat info from 2005 thru present. You can look at it anyway you want and extreme offense pace kills your own defense. I’m going to post some of it. TT hadn’t been a winning program really in last 4 years, so why would you attribute pace coming down to running clock?
Regardless, your reccommending Gibbs as a replacement because he’s suited to the pace e of our offense…but his numbers are worse than CMD and KK hasn’t gone nearly as fast CKB is going this year. Gibbs gave up 43 for 2 years straight vs FBS teams and hasn’t been under 30 yet.
UH 2018 average offense drive time is just over 1:30 …quickest since 2005. Our TOP is last in nation.
TT records
2015 7-6
2016 5-7
2017 6-7
2018 5-4…how much clock are they running? They are a 500 team.
KK has figured out what many others have…you don’t have to go at hyper speed to be productive and your defense improves in most cases…unless you just stink.
Wake Forest is running at 3.05 just behind UH and giving up 38+
This year fast teams are
UH 3.10
WF 3.05
UCF 2.98
The next fastest is 2.76…nobody even in 2.9 and 2.8 range. Syracuse went down to 2.73 from 2.84 last year and defense is better at stil not great 28+ pts gm.
USF at 2.74 and allowing 31. ECU at 2.73 and give up 36. Okla St at 2.72 give up 30.

The stats indicate that defenses haven’t caught up to high paced offenses. You have to have great D athletes to contain and pressure the QB and cover the WRs and LB to contain the RBs.

I’ll take a high speed, highly effective scoring machine of an offense any day. There is no guarantee that any series of plays will end up as points. There is no guarantee that slowing down the offense will result in points.
We should score quickly and often and continue to place pressure on the opposition.

As far as defense is concerned. What player doesn’t want more playing time? The key is to Increase the depth of the roster with talented D players. Over time more playing time and increased depth will provide us with experienced players for the seasons that follow.

1 Like

Point by point…
It’s not about D not catching up.
This is what the data shows…and it’s a complete correlation.
The faster you go
The less TOP you have
The more plays your opponent runs
Your opponent gets more yards
Your opponent gets more points

Fast paced effective offense…
Not so…
UH scores 3.01 points per possession at 3.10 ppm
Oklahoma 3.93 At 2.21ppm
Bama 3.73 at 2.22 ppm…I can go on
The most efficient offenses go much slower

Players want more playing time???
Like 100 plays in 120 degree heat vs TT???

Our defense plays most plays in country. We avg 24 min TOP

The defense gives up most passing yards but
Also sees most pass attempts
Sees most pass incompletions
Has close to most passes defensed per game
See the trend??

I’m not saying change the offense…but if CMA is gonna let Briles go crazy then he and we need be realistic about the Defense performance.
Last year at FAU Kiffin made Briles run slower at 2.67 ppm and they ran the ball a lot more. Kiffin just came from working at Bama where he learned something.
Why doesn’t Bama play fast ?? They have all the best players. Wouldn’t they exhaust defenses??
One year Bama went faster…up to over 2.50 ppm and defense gave up 6 points more…they went slow next year and pts allow went back down.

2 Likes

Washington’s a snake and a liar…I’d be very wary about having him back on staff for that reason.

However, he’d be an interesting choice that might work out here. He did seem to work well with the DBs while he was here (even if he didn’t recruit any of them and didn’t recruit any to replace them). Risky, since he’s never been a DC before.

5 Likes

How does fast paced offense cause your collapse on 3rd and long?

Not being argumentative but trying to understand.

4 Likes

I should have mentioned since recruiting services where up and running.

I truly hope that whoever called the fair catch got kicked in the rear when he got to the sideline. What on earth would possess someone to call for a fair catch when the ball isn’t even coming to them???

Further, I don’t understand why we didn’t get the ball on the 25 instead of the 20. The official ruled “fair catch” and the ball was caught on the 20. Should have taken the ball on the 25, right?

I want to say I heard while the game was playing the ball only goes to the 25 yd line if the person catching it calls a fair catch. If A fair catch is called and it’s not by the person catching it, then the ball is spotted where the ball was caught. I’m not sure if that’s right or not that’s just how it was explained on the broadcast

3 Likes

There’s no proof to say that pace affects any one play.
It’s cumulative.
For instance UH offense average drive is 1:30 . Lot quick score or 3 and out.
So D back on field quickly.
The other part is that possessions are almost always even. We go so fast that we get 15+ per game…so opponent gets 15+ also. And if we don’t use the TOP…they use the TOP.
So say we run 76 plays per game or every 19.4 secs.
Which we do…but instead we take an extra 3.6 per snap and go at 23 pace…it uses an extra 4 1/2 mins. Which opponent doesn’t get. Just by waiting.
Michigan runs 1.98 plays per minute. They snap it every 30 secs.

A Briles offense is also designed to advantage less skilled and athletic players. Great athletes see the benefit too, but it enhances anyone. Why not move our best athletes and playmakers to defense, where they can athlete their way to production, and still get offensive production from whomever is left playing offense?

I am sure that they are told to do that. Has been happening all year.

We need a special teams coach.

1 Like

James Casey is the ST Coordinator , but he’s also splitting time with TE’s.

I know that.

Like I said, we need a special teams coach.

Other than the FG and XP kicker, our special teams have not been so special this year.

2 Likes

Were not very special at anything at the moment. Thought our offense was pretty good, up until last week. But after SMU, I think we were scoring on the little sisters of the poor. After watching Tulane beat USF 44-15, I’m thinking were not very good at much.

Did you mean we need a better one?