Potential New Defensive Coordinators

Well it sounds good especially if he is a coach at Alabama. You’ll just have to make it worthwhile for him. $$$

1 Like

Interesting. He’s 34 years old, and his defense in 2017 at UTSA was pretty salty.

Just for fun I took a different approach, let’s look at the two most successful teams in the AAC this year and who their defensive coordinators are. Keep in mind both have 1st or 2nd year coaches:

1. Cincy has the LB coach/co-DC from Purdue. So they took a guy from the same recruiting territory at a B10 school that has been steady bowl-eligible since Brohm got there. This would be like us going after a LB coach from the B12 or SEC in state or bordering.

2. UCF has Randy Shannon as their DC. Are you kidding me? I had no idea. Shannon was DC at Florida. They had some salty defenses in the Swamp, that was not their problem with winning the last coaching go-round. He was interim HC as well during the turmoil. Shannon could be DC at any SEC school right now and I’d say yes that makes sense good hire. Wow. And we have CMD. Wow. Reason 999 why we can’t have nice things.

So just hire someone with the resume of these guys in our neck of the woods. Imitate success.

2 Likes

My prediction is our defense will get worse if we stick with No D next year! As more and more players realize he doesn’t have a clue in what he’s doing and more and more fans turned against him No D would only deteriorate and collapse under pressure and embarrassment!

The kindest thing to do is to let him go while he still has some support among onlookers and hasn’t reach rock-bottom!

1 Like

A quick google search seems to indicate that UCF will pay Shannon $890,000 in 2019. That is a huge amount of money for a DC in the AAC.

UH is not spending the money to be winners, even in the AAC. Yet our fans expect to win. We are middle of the AAC pack in salaries so 7-5/8-4 record seems about right. IMHO, we should be investing more in coaching.

7 Likes

I don’t mind it when we are winning, but we sure look stupid calling fair catches down 2-3 TDs.

2 Likes

Man 890K wow. Thats gotta be around the salary of bottom dweller head coaches in the AAC. If they can keep Shannon around to recruit their defense is going to get much better. Scary thought. It’s already good enough to win games obviously.

Which coaches under Herman stayed for our bowl game that year…was Navier one of them? Would he be a good DC?

What scares moi is that Major had to go to Orlando to get a recommendation for his DC and Orlando isn’t exactly doing well at the 40 acres right now.

So who does the Major go to for his new DC … does he use CoachV’s 8-ball now

Golding looks fine but actually anyone on the defensive staff at Bama would be an improvement.

Another top school is Michigan … they have the top defense in the B1G after losing only their first game to ND.

Their DL coach Greg Mattison would be my choice but he is ancient (65 years old) and his second time at Ann Arbor … he is probably hoping to retire there but he is familiar with Texas having coached at A$M under Slocum

He goes and makes his own evaluation. I would think that would be obvious. He made a mistake to trust Orlando’s judgement, and I think he trusts himself more after he pushed for the Kendal hire.

The question is does he survive? Would some DCs be hesitant to come here based upon the shaky status of Applewhite’s employment? CMA is getting a 3rd year, but if he doesn’t show marked improvement, it will be his last. Would you take a chance hitching your wagon to that horse? If you see it as a bigger platform to showcase what you can do, maybe.

He’s not new to coaching. He and Herman coached together at Rice and he’s been to Alabama & UT since. You didn’t comment on Herman “being new to coaching” did you? Quit defensing the indefensible.

Keep in mind that Spavital was recruiting coordinator under Levine when we brought in a bunch of “lesser chicken parts” as Herman called them that are in the NFL. He also coached the Jack Boyz.

App State and Marshall are both very salty defenses this year, but UH would still be able to give a substantial pay raise for either of those schools’ DC.

I wonder, like others have said, whether or not we’ll miss out because guys are nervous about overall staff security (especially if we finish this year 7-6/8-5).

:point_up_2::zipper_mouth_face:

2 Likes

This is why I think Spav is the right choice.

5 Likes

He is new to being a head coach(I guess I should have specified). And what does Herman have to do with CMA’s success? I’m one of the most objective individuals on these forums, I think you might have me a little wrong friend. I’m not a fan of Herman at all. I stated the obvious that CMA(never brought up Herman) did make adjustments each year. Show me where he did not? Meanwhile, Herman actually said he “made chicken salad with lessor parts”. Herman wasn’t saying that our guys weren’t good, because he and everybody else knew they were; Herman was saying that the guys he has in asstin were more talented. That was debatable, but those guys aren’t here and I’m not making excuses for us under preforming as a team. I simply stated CMA made some major changes each year. He is defensible until he proves otherwise.

1 Like

Heupel is a first time head coach too and below is how you hire a DC. From ESPN article on Heupel hiring. He had Shannon hired hours after getting the UCF job, made the same press release.

“When I was first contacted I poured over some guys who I wanted.” Heupel said. “Me being an offensive guy, getting the right hire on defense was critical. I have competed and coached against Randy. He plays a 3-4 scheme and believes in multiple coverages. Has a rich history in Florida and recruiting and that’s the lifeblood of our program.”

Damn. Shrewd negotiation on our part. All this time I thought he had a 2 year deal.

Bump.

The golding guy at Bama would be nice

Golding is making $650K and is a co-DC at Bama. I have a hard time seeing him leave that, even if he’s not the playcaller.