Potential OC candidates

This if Littrell doesn’t take the entire staff to K-State

No doubt! It’s a rebuild year for our Coogs football team next season even with Baby Briles.

Dimmel…

Agree with you 100%, imo, going to be challenging season

Is Kevin Gilbride available???.. Maybe we can go back to the run and shoot!

All kidding aside, I would be seriously interested in at least interviewing Brandon Middleton for the position if it opened up. Patrick posted this on the forum.

Serious question: We have posters on the message board that keep asking why can’t someone learn the Briles offense? I’d say, why can’t UH bring in John Jenkins and have him teach someone the old UH run-and-shoot with some new wrinkles of a modern run game, i.e., wide splits, WRs spread out wide past the numbers, and mixing in motion and a TE or H-Back for run blocking. John Jenkins would cut his legs off and motor around campus in a UH Cougar wheelchair for his beloved UH Cougars. Why not have him teach a young and loyal Cougar how to run one of the most successful offenses that UH has ever seen?

Go Coogs. Peace.

8 Likes

Tyron Carrier has been doing a bang up job on Dana Holgorsen’s staff as the wide receiver coach.

3 Likes

Why not just bring him back as OC? I can think of no one better.

7 Likes

Went by Levine’s Chick Fil A the other day and parking lot was full and the drive thru had about 20 cars in line. Looked as if he should be rolling in $$$

2 Likes

I thought Clemens was brought in as the OC in waiting.

And probably laughing hysterically about Daily-Meltdown-University…

3 Likes

Do we think this is very different than any other fan board on the internet?

And he is a Coog so he will be loyal to us!

Oh wait…

5 Likes

Sadly, I doubt we ever get any stability until we are in a P5 or after Case retires from the NFL and starts as our OC. Case will be our Gary Patterson.

4 Likes

I really want to believe that but the business of football has pushed me close to 99% cynicism. I almost posted “what are we going to do when Coach Keenum leaves us for a P5 in the future?” but figured why go there now? But since you brought up his name…

Yes, let’s Bring in Jenkins…he still love UH after all this time and he was terminated from the school…

Guess what, there are like 5 examples out of 140 current schools that have Gary Patterson type of loyalty. TVU, Bama, Michigan State, Clemson (though let Saban retire and see how fast Dabo packs his stuff) and maybe Ohio (bobcats, not buckeyes). Everyone else is a stepping stone or waiting to get fired.

5 Likes

I’d put SDSU Rocky on that list and it’s a G5 example.

K State and Snyder, just retired.

The best offense I see regularly is South Dakota State. They struggle against NDSU which has won the National Championship time and again but they still put up points

Eric Eidsness - 2018 Football Coaching Staff - South Dakota State University

Eric Eidsness

Eric Eidsness
Associate Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator

Phone:
Email: Eric.Eidsness@sdstate.edu

Eric Eidsness rejoined the Jackrabbit coaching staff in 2010 as quarterbacks coach and pass game coordinator, and was elevated to offensive coordinator following the 2011 campaign. In 2015, he was promoted to associate head coach.

With Eidsness directing the offense, the Jackrabbits have posted prolific numbers in both the running and passing games en route to six consecutive playoff berths (2012-17). SDSU has consistently re-written the record book under Eidsness’ watch, including establishing 28 new single-game, season and career marks during the 2016 campaign and 15 more in 2017. Among the team records set in 2017 were scoring (521 points), total offense (6,141 yards) and total offense per game (438.6), the last of which had stood for 66 years (437.7 yards per game in 1951).

Three of the Jackrabbits’ offensive stalwarts — quarterback Taryn Christion, tight end Dallas Goedert and wide receiver Jake Wieneke — were named finalists for the 2016 STATS FCS Walter Payton Award as the top offensive player in the Football Championship Subdivision. Christion earned Missouri Valley Football Conference Offensive Player of the Year after setting SDSU single-season records for passing yards (3,714) and total offense (4,049 yards), while tying a Jackrabbit single-season mark with 30 touchdown passes.

Christion and Goedert were again finalists for the STATS FCS Walter Payton Award in 2017. Christion set a new Jackrabbit single-season record with 35 touchdown passes and also became the SDSU career leader in total offense with 9,697 yards. Goedert, meanwhile, posted his second consecutive 1,000-yard season receiving-wise and was again a unanimous All-America selection before being selected in the second round of the NFL Draft by the Philadelphia Eagles.

Wieneke, meanwhile, put his name at the top of the Missouri Valley Football Conference record book in nearly every receiving category as he earned All-America recognition for the fourth year in a row, finishing with 288 receptions, 5,157 receiving yards and 59 touchdown receptions. His 59 touchdown catches rank second all-time in the FCS ranks and this receiving yardage total ranks third. Wieneke caught at least one pass in all 53 career games to set an FCS career record.

Despite an injury to starting quarterback Austin Sumner in the 2014 season opener, the Jackrabbits went on to set a single-season school record with 6,092 yards of total offense over a 14-game schedule. Upon Sumner’s return to the starting lineup in November, the Jackrabbits averaged 36 points and 446.8 yards per contest over their final six games, including two playoff contests.

In 2011, Eidsness oversaw the emergence of Sumner as one of the top young quarterbacks in the Football Championship Subdivision. Sumner established an MVFC freshman record with 2,382 yards passing, was named conference?Freshman of the Year and finished third in the inaugural Jerry Rice Award given to the top freshman in the FCS ranks. Sumner, who was an honorable mention all-MVFC honoree in both 2013 and 2014, went on to set Jackrabbit career records for passing yards, attempts, completions and touchdowns, as well as total offense.

A year later, in 2012, South Dakota State featured the nation’s top rusher in Zach Zenner, who averaged an FCS-best 157.2 yards per game. It would be the first of three consecutive 2,000-yard seasons for Zenner, who has played the past two seasons with the Detroit Lions.

An assistant coach for the Jackrabbits on two other occasions under head coach John Stiegelmeier, Eidsness left SDSU after the 2003 season to become head coach at Southwest Minnesota State. He compiled a 26-40 career record during his tenure on the Mustang sideline, which included a 6-5 season in 2008 — only the eighth winning season in school history.

Eidsness’ 26 victories as head coach rank second in program history.

While at the helm of the Mustang program, Eidsness coached 61 all-conference players, including 10 who earned all-region honors. SMSU increased its scoring average each of his last four seasons, from 20.1 points per game in 2006 to 36.0 points in 2009, tying a school record with eight games of 30-plus points. The 2009 team averaged 396.2 yards of total offense per game.

Eidsness began his association with Jackrabbit football as a graduate assistant during the 1996 and 1997 seasons, working with the team’s receivers. After a year as offensive coordinator at Ferris State (Mich.), he returned to SDSU in 1999 as offensive coordinator, while also coaching the team’s quarterbacks and running backs.

In five seasons directing the offense at SDSU, the Jackrabbits averaged 27.6 points per game while competing at the Division II level. During his tenure, the Jackrabbits set numerous school marks both rushing the ball with All-America running back Josh Ranek and throwing the ball with quarterback Dan Fjeldheim.

A Sioux Falls native, Eidsness attended St. Cloud State University (Minn.) for two years before transferring to the University of Sioux Falls, where he graduated in 1992. He spent two years playing in Europe, where he also began his coaching career with the Robinson Sphinx in Paris, France. Upon returning to the United States, Eidsness served as quarterbacks and receivers coach at Morningside during the 1994 and 1995 seasons before enrolling in graduate school at SDSU.

A second-generation coach, Eidsness followed is the footsteps of his father, Lyle, who coached at the high school and collegiate levels throughout the Upper Midwest for more than 30 years. Lyle served on his son’s coaching staff at Southwest Minnesota State for four years (2004-07) as special teams and running backs coach.