Predicted 2017 Final College Football Rankings: CFN

College Football News

Two spots ahead of Texas?
Lose to USF twice?

I have mixed feelings.

I’d take it in Major’s first year, but I don’t think we’ll lose twice to USF.

1 Like

Agree, we won’t lose twice to USF assuming we play them twice by making it to the title game. If we beat them in the regular season we will win in the title game and if we lose in the regular season we won’t make the same mistakes in the title game.

For those saying we wouldn’t lose to USF twice, are you thinking it through? If we lose at USF and USF hosts the championship game, why wouldn’t they beat us again? I think having us winning our division and finishing 10-3 is about as good a first season from Applewhite as we could hope for considering this is a rebuilding year on offense and defense.

“UH football isn’t capable of winning road games.”

10 wins would be nice in Major’s first year. Predictions like this are tough though because there’s ways to look at a loss. Are you competitive, did you get blown out?

In my opinion (and might be obvious), the record will hinge on how quickly one of the QBs establishes themselves as a starter. It seems that the defense is up to the task and the O-line will be healthier and have another year under their belt. If the QBs are flip-flopping, we’re going to be dropping games. Hopefully Allen’s the man and we’re not searching further.

1 Like

The reason why is that is very very difficult for a college team to beat another real good college team twice in same year…Many times when a school gets to play someone again in a playoff or bowl game, whoever lost first wins the second time around.If we lose to South Florida in regular season and get to play them again in the championship game, i like our chances to win…

Has there ever been a time where a college football team played at home against the same opponent twice to even draw that conclusion?

This is really something that can only happen in the C-USA, MWC, and AAC championship games because those are the only conferences that host a non-neutral site championship game. The MAC and Pac-12 used to, but they don’t anymore.

Times it’s happened:

2000 – Marshall hosted Western Michigan. Lost regular season, won Conference Championship.
2007 – UCF hosted Tulsa. Won both games.
2012 – Tulsa hosted UCF. Won both games.
2014 – Boise State hosted Fresno State. Won both.
2016 – Wyoming hosted San Diego State. Won regular season, lost conference championship.

There’s really not a lot of factual basis to the whole “it’s hard to beat a good team at your place twice” thing.

OK Good info. So yeah, based on history, if USF beats us once and then hosts us in the championship, they probably win twice short of key injuries or their coach taking job offers the week of the game.

Without a down of football played, then I can see why you would draw that conclusion.

In 2008, UH split 2 games with Air Force, both at neutral sites