Pregame Thread: Coogs vs Navy

CMD’s defense was pretty good against Navy last year

1 Like

The suspension was warranted. Are you saying they should just be allowed to fight at will? Didn’t someone have a broken face due to a fight?

Hate Herman all you want but the last thing that guy wants is to lose. Not just football, but anything. He seems like one of those psychotic coaches.

3 Likes

Well…

It was Bowser and Adams. It was before UCONN not Navy. Adams was suspended one game then played against Navy, Bowser missed a couple of weeks with a broken face including the Navy game.

Houston played without four starters: standout linebacker Steven Taylor(suspension for violating unspecified team rules), running back Duke Catalon (concussion), cornerback/kick returner Brandon Wilson (lower leg injury) and linebacker Tyus Bowser (broken bone after fighting with a teammate).

1 Like

I liked these stats in the UH Game Notes:

« Houston leads FBS schools in Texas with 50 wins since the start of the 2013 season. TCU is second with 48 wins in that span. Texas A&M is third with 45 wins and Baylor fourth with 44 wins, while Texas is fifth with 37.
« UH ranks 13th nationally and the best in Texas with nine seasons with at least eight wins since 2006. LSU, Boise State and Oklahoma lead the way with 12 such seasons since 2006 while three teams, Georgia, USC and Wisconsin, are tied with 11 such seasons.

Yeah, those stats are nice but I bet Texas is #1 in 6-5 seasons over that period by a large margin. So stick that in your pipe and smoke it! :rofl:

2 Likes

I’ve watched Navy a couple of times and am unsure why this team isn’t as good as previous ones. They have pretty much the same backfield so I’ll assume line play is down. They do make more penalties and they seem to be missing a spark, just can’t put my finger on it.

Do you think the new cut block rules might be making a difference?

4 Likes

Hasn’t Zach Abey has been struggling with injuries this year? I know he’s still playing, but doesn’t seem to be having the impact this year that he had last year.

No, they still do what they do. I haven’t seen their blocking change

Progs
I agree CMD runs a better option scheme than CTO.
However, these aren’t their regular schemes in any way. The option is a different animal and you have to forget about everything else you teach for a week.
After recwatching 2016 and 2017 Navy games I took away the following:
CTO approach seemed to be to take away the dive.
He had 5 guys on line all inside or head up on OTs.
I don’t have stats in front of me but Navy attacked the edge mostly and very few dives…the had many 10 plus yard gains as result.
CMD seemed to invite the dive. He deployed a more spread out base alignment which seemed to invite Navy to run inside. As a result, Navy ran a majority of dives to FB and runs inside tackles. Result was much less 10 plus yard gains.
It seems to make sense…let them run into Ed. The FB is much less dangerous than their QB. Ed had huge game last year. CMD moves his front on snap which seemed give Navy OL problems. Navy calls play at line based on numbers advantage. It seemed to me that CMD aligned his D to give Navy an advantage to the short side when ball on hash. This limited plays to wide side. But the other thing he did was to move the DL on snap…so he showed them something pre snap and then moved guys on snap to negate the perceived advantage Navy thought they had.
This is my opinion based on reading about what option teams want to do and watching game over again.
So option teams like to run ball in B Gap first…between OG and OT…I looked to me like CMD showed them B Gap and then moved a DL into it on snap.

7 Likes

I love the idea of funneling them to the inside. Ed is such a great run stuffer and line clogger. We just need our CBs and safeties to not get too easily sucked in and get burned by the occasional pass.

2 Likes

For those in the know, I just read JD’s article that said Big Ed had a career-high 14 tackles, including 3 ½ for loss and 2 sacks against Navy last year. In a triple option attack, if the QB keeps the ball and gets tackled for a loss, is it counted as a TFL or a sack, or both?

TFL unless there was a drop back by QB. IMHO

2 Likes

What concerns me is our personnel this year.
Up front we are ok…ED and Carter played it last year and dominated. Egbule and Godfrey played against it last year. Johnson and Myers did good job last year too. I believe Watkins played against it for ND vs Navy.
Roman Brown is solid run stopper but not play last year. Austin Rob played some last year but not start .
And then safety…Garret Davis had started against it 2 times…Anderson and Stuart haven’t and Sprewell has to sit a half for targeting.
We probably will play less players this week. Navy pace is slow and mostly runs so guys don’t get as worn out as they would pass rushing and covering receivers. When we face 90 to 100 plays vs pass teams we have to sub more.

1 Like

I was telling people before the game that that wasn’t the same team we played last year. They made huge strides, especially on defense.

Coogfans beware: its not only Navy’s homecoming game, but also the 50th reunion of the class of 68. As many may remember, that was the year of the Tet offensive. Many of the attendees of the reunion (and the game as they are given tickets to attend) therefore will be combat veterans of that invasion and so there will be a lot of brass etc. at the game and the midshipmen will be under extra pressure to perform well in this game. I hope our Coogs are focused and ready because I bet that team plays their best football of the year. Go Coogs beat Navy!

4 Likes

David Blackwell, ECU alum and legit D coordinator.

1 Like

Navy Tripple Options styles can causes us problems.
This game scares me but we probably will win.

Two years ago, receivers killed us a couple of time. Someone better be covering receivers . . . . . even if it is wet . . . . .

1 Like

3rd down defense will be a key you have to get off the field when you get them in 3rd down situations and you have to keep them under 5yds on 1st downs.