Pregame Thread: Coogs vs Navy

Houston’s annual WTF loss is here and this is it folks. Navy is a different animal at home and you better believe it. Coogs have more than a bloodied nose coming. Remember to stock up on beer.

1 Like

If the astros are playing saturday and the coogs win/lose and no one is around to see the game, does it count for a win/loss?

God, what a whiner you are! We are going to win this game…The swabos arent going to stop Briles’ offense.The only thing that can beat us is the weather, and they arent going to luck off in that regard 2 times in a row. Afternoon is supposed to be dry…

2 Likes

The weather and turnovers. Take care of the football and we got ‘em beat.

2 Likes

Navy will play their best game of the year because they are playing UH. Also, there are always brass and veterans at Service Academy games. No change. TET was over by the time the Navy Class of '68 made it to Nam.

I think this is more on the offense than the defense. Turnovers will kill us. Sputtering will kill us. However, if there is any offense that is built to respond quickly in a pinch, it’s this one. We have to be more confident this year given the improvements on offense. The defense will get plenty of stops. The offense has to capitalize.

Go Coogs!

3 Likes

Question to me is… if UH scores 40 points, can Navy win ?

2 Likes

Nope, but gotta score first. lol

This can’t be…you must have been hacked!!!

1 Like

Can’t wait for Saturday

1 Like

lol I’ve decided to “ease” up a bit and trust the coaches. We’ve made improvements. I’m not going to complain. Getting better every week!

4 Likes

If Ed Oliver can stop option #1 in the triple option, and our cornerbacks can tackle the pitch-men, then I’m sure we’ll have no trouble with this one.

2 Likes

We did just fine last year. We did terrible in 2016 when we were missing our top 2 linebackers. I think the key will be how well Robinson and Brown fill Hines and Adams shoes.

One of the difficulties in playing Navy is that once they hit mid-field it is now 4-down territory. So it better be 4th and 4 or longer or they are going for it.
Fourth Down is always part of the Option Offense gameplan

3 Likes

Last years 4 down goaline stand after we fumbled kickoff was huge in first half.

1 Like

Navy’s defense isn’t that good this year. They are giving up 31.8 PPG (#99) and 395 yards of offense per game (74). On the other hand, our rush defense is very good this year (116 yards per game, good for #20 in the country). If we can get just a few stops against Navy and our offense do what it’s capable of, Navy is not built to come back from deficits. We could easily run away with this one.

4 Likes

Coogs will have to be efficient on both sides of the ball to get to 40 in this game. Hawaii scored on their five possessions in the 1st half vs. Navy – 4 TDs and 1 FG – and a special teams TD (blocked punt). They punted once and gave up possession on a fumble in total in scoring 59. Coogs will need similar efficiency if they are going to convert their possessions into points. Ignoring Rice and TSU games, UH is averaging about .6 point per play on offense so the defense is going to need to stop Navy’s offense enough to allow 70+ plays on offense.

1 Like

http://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/navy_sports/ac-cs-navy-reset-houston-20181015-story.html

1 Like

Should Houston’s offense slow it down just a tad to avoid the penalty bug against Navy?
Our Offensice PI and Ineligible Man Downfield were penalties associated with speed imho.
The ineligible man, I believe was a receiver who was on the line covered up by the WR.
The PI was one receiver engaged in a downfield block on a forward pass across the LOS. If the receiver was behind the LOS it would have been legal.
Sometimes we go so fast the players lose situational awareness. I’m hoping we can keep it penalty free against navy. They live on keeping you behind the sticks.

This is always one of my favorite games. I love the Triple option. Hopefully the defense won’t get wore out.