Pregame Thread; Coogs vs Tortilla Tossers

Just out of curiosity, what have you seen from Tech or our defense to make you think Tech will be able to put a lot of points on us? I watched the first quarter of their game against Ole Miss. Vasher is a very long WR and Ward is a very quick RB/scat back. Both of those guys remind me of Zona’s Poindexter and JJ Taylor, respectively. I think Tech may be able to put up a bunch of meaningless yards, but I don’t see where a bunch of points are coming from without a ton of turnovers on our part.

I guess the caveat is the QB. Bowman was thrown into the fire against Ole Miss and Lamar was no match. Not sure what we’ll see from him, but I like our chances, especially with the improvement I saw from the secondary in general and Isaiah Johnson specifically on Saturday.

I am guessing the O/U will be in the 70s.

1. they are at home.
  2. our pass defense isn’t that great. if we cant get pressure on them they might expose us through the air.
  3. the defensive scheme we play.
2 Likes

It’s usually windy in Lubbock. Could affect our passing game. Tech is used to it.

1 Like

I mentioned that earlier, I think this is the biggest factor in our success. I’m not sure if we can air it out. I feel like we will have to focus more on short and intermediate passing as well as Stevenson jet sweeps. We’ll just have to see how bad the wind is at game time.

1 Like

I think Stevenson is going to have a monster game.

2 Likes

Tech doesn’t scare me as much as the road does. We are a different team on the road. Been that way since 2016.

2 Likes

Looking at their message board you would think tech was ranked top 5 the way their arrogant fans are talking.

https://247sports.com/college/texas-tech/Board/102951/Contents/Tech-vs-Houston-121706555/

Man they do not like us very much. I hope we beat the hell out of them.

3 Likes

me too…they are pissing me off. a UH fan posted in the thread being nice and they wanna act classless. man forget them

I have a friend who graduated from Tech about '70. He is still complaining about UH/Tech tie for championship and UH going to Cotton Bowl. Crying about CBY paying players to kick SWC *ss . . . . .

2 Likes

Those boys need a good old fashioned @$$ whipping. Let’s oblige them on Saturday afternoon starting at about 3:15.

4 Likes

That G5 article reminded me: Cincy has a pretty easy schedule for a while. If they can somehow get through November…

2 Likes

That Tech thread is hilarious. I’m sticking with my prediction that we run away with this one.

1 Like

I’m worried about this one. Kliff runs a high scoring offense and i think Tech is better than Arizona. Anybody remember going to Tech in 2010?

I predict we win 56-35

3 Likes

to be fair, keenum and turner were injured that year and we had to start a true freshman at tech. this year’s team is much better.

I don’t think there’s much to dispute about Tech being better than Arizona (at least offensively), but I’m not really worried about them. I’m using the following formula:

(UH Offense - Tech Defense) > (Tech Offense - UH Defense)

In other words, I think our offense will be more effective against their defense than their offense will be against our defense.

My prediction: UH wins 55 - 41. This prediction is giving Tech 2 garbage time TDs in the 4th quarter against our backups. On that note, I think the O/U of 71 listed on ESPN is WAY low.

Once my prediction comes true (or close to it), I will make sure to tweet Mr. Zach Tanner about how overrated a passer D’Eriq King is.

4 Likes

Absolutely man! Plus we didnt have anywhere near the defensive talent that we do now. Our defense that year was atrocius!