- Houston enters the five-game week with a 21-14 overall record and a 17-4 mark at Schroeder Park.
- The Cougars return to action after going 2-2 last week with wins over Rice and Tulane.
- As a team, Houston is hitting .251 on the year with 57 doubles and 12 home runs.
- Leading the way offensively is Jared Triolo with a .350 average, 49 hits and is 10-for-10 in the stolen base category.
- Joe Davis follows with a .310 clip and 40 hits, while Connor Hollis paces the team with 32 runs scored and 11 doubles.
- The Houston pitching staff owns a 3.16 ERA and has fanned 315 and walked 116 in 318.2 innings.
- Opponents are hitting .226 against the staff, led by junior Aaron Fletcher, who owns a 1.08 ERA and is 4-2 through nine starts with two complete games, including one in his last start at Tulane.
- Junior Trey Cumbie follows with a 3-2 mark and owns a 3.79 ERA through nine starts. He has two complete game shutouts this season and is second in the league with 71 strikeouts in 57.0 innings.
- Out of the bullpen, sophomore Carter Henry leads the way at 4-1 and a 1.26 ERA in a team-high 16 appearances. He also has three saves.
SAM HOUSTON STATE
- Sam Houston State will meet Houston this week with a 25-11 record and a 10-3 mark on the road and a 14-6 clip at home.
- The Bearkats are coming off a series win at home vs. Southland Conference foe, Stephen F. Austin.
- SHSU played two midweek games last week and dropped both, a 4-2 contest in 12 innings vs. Baylor and a 4-3 contest on the road at UT Arlington.
- As a team, Sam Houston State is hitting .285 with 33 home runs and 56 doubles.
- Leading the way is Blake Chisolm with a .346 average, while Clayton Harp follows at .339.
- Hunter Hearn paces the team with 45 hits and 28 RBI, while tallying a .321 clip.
- The Bearkat pitching staff owns a 3.41 ERA with 307 strikeouts and 136 walks in 325.0 innings. Opponents are hitting .238 against the staff.
- Seth Ballew owns a team-low 2.66 ERA and is 3-1 with 12 appearances and five starts.
- Gabriel Sequeira is 3-2 with a 3.11 ERA, while Hayden Wesneski is 2-2 with a 3.67 ERA through 10 starts.
- Dakota Mills has a team-high 17 appearances with two starts and leads the team with eight saves.
SERIES HISTORY vs. SAM HOUSTON STATE
- Houston and Sam Houston State have met 163 times in program history, dating back to 1947.
- The Bearkats own the all-time series at 82-81.
- Houston has dropped the last four contests vs. Sam Houston State.
- The Don Sanders Cup was established in 2017, which honors the team that wins the season three-game series.
- Houston and Sam Houston State will meet for the third and final time on May 1 at Constellation Field in Sugar Land.