Puf fund:now is the right time to ask for UH/TECH funding from it

…and Prairie View.

Age old argument and it isn’t gonna happen. What UH needs is more donors and alums to support the U

It can happen if we keep trying and get more alumni in the legislature. Carol Alvarado was about to introduce a bill a few yrs ago asking for 1% in a way that wouldn’t decrease UT and A&M’s share.

All thru out our history , things can change and a good lawyer or legislator would be able to get thru this and if it got into the realm of public opinion , it would catch tons of heat because there is no way they can defend their stance. They’d say we need that money for flagship status then we’d say well you can support 2 more to get to 4 if our pop is 28 mil. The public would be on the side of change it’s just no one knows about it. Change can happen and we found a way to get a med school in a crowded field of schools in the med center.

Why does everything on think that Tech and UH would be the only recipients? North Texas would have a loud voice in the matter IMO.

1 Like

It would be because the main point would be to create more flagships and that Texas can support 4 easily. UH and Tech are the closest to being flagships. Then yrs down the line if the state grows to 40 mil , we add Texas St and or another which is fair.

Hi Charles, from my understanding, President Khator has been working on this increased funding from Texas legislature in terms of both increased appropriations and also, eventually, obtaining access to the PUF. She has been working for ten years now towards access to PUF. They established a very active UH PAC which is working closely with a professional lobbyist company, the name which I can’t remember at the moment. It is stalled right now because they are looking for a great replacement chairman. She is totally aware that access to the PUF will take a concerted effort and early on I heard that she had been trying to work with the other Texas Universities to achieve this. I am not sure at this time who joined in with her but I will ask and let you and others know when I hear back from her or her office. I think this is such a good conversation to have and I am an eternal optimist that we will get increased. Thanks for joining in the conversation!

What about establishing a privately managed investment fund, similar to UTIMCO, that Coogs can donate to and invest in, whose profits are specifically set up to be donated to UH, with whatever tax advantage would result. Keep it out of the state legislature’s hands so they can’t mismanage or reallocate it. Will require some patience and persistence, but those don’t help with attracting government magnanimity, we might as well do it ourselves.

It’s a good idea but when A&M and UT are easily getting millions from the state that we can’t possibly match , we have to keep fighting. I do agree they should get more bc their systems are bigger to feed where as we just have the Houston campuses. We just need our fair share which is doable. We can do your plan plus push on for more fair funding from the gov.

We need to also force UT to sell the land where they wasted 200 mil which ironically helps out cause to help get PUF Funding. We can point to that as waste which a lot of legislators have agreed.

Reason it’s so important is that if we just get another 10 to 30 mil a yr, it off sets the P5 funding for not yet being in a P5 so the we spend on athletics it all goes into the same pot even though it’s not supposed to go directly there. Our admin is sending to our athletics from the gen fund. Anything helps bc it’s what UT and A$M do in a way if needed.