Quarterback situation/controversy

I still get feeling his injury really hampered his throwing this year…cause it wasn’t what he had been before. Smart call by him and/or CDH to RS to help him in the long run. Hopefully he comes back, has a monster year and gets a shot at next level at whatever position pros see fit. It would also allow Tune a RS year, which would be a huge benefit for the program.

2 Likes

Tune was running out of the pocket throwing across his body and throwing int.

3 Likes

Did you forget what King did in 2018. He is a much better passer than Tune, a much better runner than Tune, a better QB than Tune.

2 Likes

Of course I remember what King did in 2018. Much better runner? Absolutely. Much better passer, no. Some plays where Tune passes last night, King probably runs. Tune’s arm is much better, stronger, especially on the medium to long throws. King had trouble on the pass that was longer than 20 yards. I expect that’s the area where CDH will be working with him.

1 Like

Which brings us back to the original problem, the O-Line. Tune was running for his life most of the night. Throwing across his body is a mental mistake, Andre Ware pointed that out, he will learn with experience.

1 Like

Your memory deceives you. Look at films on TT, Arizona, and other, King was dropping dimes

4 Likes

You have said multiple times that King “bailed” on the team. It is my understanding that CDH approached King about redshirting. It was a decision that they made together. Am I wrong? Do you know the whole story? Or are we both just speculating?

3 Likes

I agree. Before he was hurt I thought he was the best deep ball thrower since Case. Receivers booted more than a couple that were dropped right in.

Tune looked great in flashes. But those picks were pitiful. It is an issue between the ears. I hope Blackwell works hard to fix Tune’s worst tendencies when he gets pressured.

Hope King comes back next season. If not, get a grad transfer QB.

2 Likes

I would think based upon the available evidence is that King starts next year and Tune gets an upper classmen redshirt, still available as back up able to play for 4 games. King keeps improving his game and long pass timing, Tune preps to start the following year…i don’t see a controversy unless Tune doesn’t want a redshirt year or king leaves, either way we will be better next year.
we were competitive this year but lacked the needed depth across the board to win most games, that will be fixed next year.

1 Like

In all seriousness, do you have inside information on this or is this an educated guess?

Hopefully you aren’t talking in absolutes about something like this without more knowledge than the rest of us have.

It wouldn’t shock me if he leaves but if it is accurate that he isn’t graduating until May, I would be kind of surprised if he transfers other than maybe to link up with Briles or Applewhite (wherever they end up).

The more successful route for grad transfer QBs is usually if they can get in there for spring ball and start learning the offense. I know Burrow showed up two summers ago for LSU and started that fall, but it’s also pretty obvious based on how he’s done this year that the extra time working in the offense makes a big difference.

After spring ball there will be teams desperate for a QB that will want him, but it doesn’t seem like an ideal situation to have success.

Unless he thinks Dana doesn’t know what he’s doing and/or the offense won’t have the personnel to allow him to have success next year (possible), then the smart move to have any shot at all getting drafted as a QB would be to stay and keep working.

Well first, I would like to think I am an honorable person and would not lie to the world to get a few benefits. I think King is an honorable person and would not lie to the world or mislead the team of his intentions. He doesn’t have the personality of Tom Herman.

As far as school work, King is a senior therefore he should know how to take care of that business like all other students on campus.

I do not think King is lying because I think he is an honorable person and honorable people would sacrifice their benefits because that’s what they do.

Everyone has their opinions but anyone who says they think King is not staying at UH is saying that they think he is lying. There is no sugarcoating it.

Let’s stop the he is leaving talk and wait and see.

This is just my opinion and suggestion.

1 Like

All I know is that either way there will be a lot of “I TOLD YOU SO” and shoving crow down people’s throats and this board will be unbearable. Hopefully by The Decision time, basketball will be doing well enough that I can live on the basketball board until people simmer down over here…

3 Likes

For some of you who don’t know. Prior does have a few sources. He’s often right more than wrong.

1 Like

I think it was Tune’s 3rd intercept where he had a lot of field in front of him and he chose to throw into the end zone. King would have scored. Tune is a great athlete but doesn’t seem to have that awareness of the pocket and quickness . Since we’ll never get 5 star OL, we need a true dual threat at QB to make plays when there’s not one there. Also , it looks like we either don’t scheme properly or have good speed on the outside on defense. Also our staff doesn’t seem to make half time adjustments like so many teams we’ve played do. Obviously, giving up 56 points and 450 yards on the ground won’t win you many games.

That’s why I asked whether he’s getting this from somewhere or just speculating (though I don’t know whether he really has sources or just does a good job aggregating, but nonetheless he sometimes knows what he is talking about). However, he’s been wrong about plenty of stuff as well.

1 Like

You have a short memory. King was 1-3 this season breaking receivers’ toes and throwing the rest in the rafters.

1 Like

Great points. There is one point that always come back on our board. Some of you compare the past with the present.
King was not good this year. His accuracy was off. He kept missing wide open receivers. Why should I compare him to last year?
Tune had to face the following:
A makeshift OL that had not practiced together as a unit for the entire year.
An hamstring that would have kept most starters out.
A depleted WR corps.
I am looking at his body of work for THIS season. This is what I am judging on. I was very impressed when he faced the blitz. Given what I mentioned above CDH knows now that he can have a true QB camp come Spring.
Is Tune Joe Montana? Clearly not but at least give him a real shot at becoming an outstanding QB. I want to see him in the Spring with a “starting OL& Receiving corps” The same can be said for King. Let the best man win.
Now it is your choice to proclaim King the starter if he comes back. Then let me ask you this. What if King still struggles hitting his receiving corps? Would you still give him the job?
That is not how it works friends. Competition is healthy. Complacency is unhealthy.

2 Likes

Probably speculating like you are…but it does not make any sense to me to take a quarterback who has Heisman possibilities and is the senior leader and possible draft pick (as an athlete) off the team and redshirt him.
Not meaning to bash the kid, just giving my opinion. Remember when it was first announced he was redshirting his dad came out publicly and announced King was transferring. Now, does that make his dad a liar?
I just can’t imagine coach taking his star attraction to the side and asking him and Corbin to redshirt on their own. And if that is the case explain to me why Holgersen has never gone into detail about the deal?
When we were 1-3 I got the feeling that King was on the brink of being replaced at least temporarily.
But that is my opinion and if I am proven wrong then I will be the first to admit it. I still think King scoots on if he graduates in time and Tune remains our quarterback…the biggest loser in this deal is Tune for having to play in such adverse conditions.
Hopefully we bring in at least one or two quality quarterbacks to battle Tune just in case.
If King comes back you can bet I will root for him to be successful as a Cougar. If he leaves I will wish him good luck.
I guess I am just not sold on Holgersen as a head coach/OC. I do not like his demeanor and if he truly tanked the year then shame on him. Good luck getting the fans back in the stands next year.
And by the way, weren’t many of you huge critics were upset and irate when UH star running back Ken Simms decided to bolt as a senior grad to, of all places, West Virginia?
That is just the way life in college football is these days…better get over it…

2 Likes

I think Marquez and a couple of other players will be leaving as well. The coaching situation is part of the issue. We will see who ends up coming back.

2 Likes